All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can't stop D
      #14467 - 07/20/03 06:51 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

I had a really bad attack on Thursday. I've been following the diet yet I can't stop the D the cramping isn't so bad but I keep taking Imodium. I have a job interview tomorrow and I'm really concerned. Does anyone have any suggestions I've been trying to get back on track but it's not really working I still don't feel well. HELP!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can't stop D new
      #14472 - 07/20/03 10:47 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi catz; SEE IF your md can prescribe lomotil for you. They work really well for me and I think they are better for d. than immodium..Also try ti keep stable with lots of fibre, thst does the trick for me. Hope this helps.

#14475 - 07/20/03 11:17 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

It might the be the anticipation of the job interview, I know that even if I try not to get nervous before things, my body still senses it and I get an attack. Perhaps go to the BRAT diet or up your soluble fiber intake to settle it as much as possible.
Good luck with the interview, let us know how it went

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#14495 - 07/21/03 08:10 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

The BRAT diet (white bread, rice, applesauce, and tea--right? that's what I used) really helped me stop an attack the other day. I also took Peppermint Altoids like pills every few hours, and some Levsin, and put a hot pack on my stomach. Thermacare makes a heat pad that sticks on the inside of your underwear and stays hot for about 10 hours--they market it for menstrual cramps. I also kept doing deep chest relaxation breathing, like you use in labor, as I had to run here and there. Hope you can get it under control before the interview.

#14557 - 07/21/03 10:01 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hello,

I am IBS-D too and as far as I know the BRAT diet is bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, but if you have found other things that work for you, go for it. Maybe we should add on an extra "T" on the end for tea as it is so soothing. I am sure, as we all know, each of our guts is different and complicated, and once you have found something that works for you, don't mess with it, right?

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#14597 - 07/22/03 11:38 AM
catzlady4

Hi everyone Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.
i made it through the interview and I pretty much got the job but they have to do drug screening and a physical before they can formally give it to me. Anyway, I'm still having D and I called my doctor and I'm waiting for him to get back to me. Hopefully the D will stop! I've been on alot of rice etc. but it isn't working. My doctor said I have colitis and IBS but I can never figure out which one is bothering me. Do you know if you take fiber for colitis too or would that make it worse? Again thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted on the job situation,I should know by Friday.

#14599 - 07/22/03 11:46 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Congrats on the job!! For the D maybe it will slow down now since you are done the interview. Have you tried immodium? Which colitis do you have?? I am IBS/D with Ulcerative Colitis and I do not take any extra fiber. When I have a flare up with colitis my IBS/D is more active. When you go for your physical ask your Dr. about your colitis and about xtra fiber. If he can't tell you anything check out the Crohn's and colitis board at the bottome of the board. Congrats again on your job!! Sue

#14601 - 07/22/03 11:51 AM
catzlady4

Hi Suzyq Thanks for the advice.Do take fiber supplements? Is that what you mean by extra fiber? How do you keep your ulcerative colitis under control? What do you do when u have D? Do you take Imodium everyday when you have D? Thanks!

#14602 - 07/22/03 12:11 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Catzlady4; No I do not take fiber supplements.That's what I meant about xtra fiber. I try to get fiber from food. I probably should try a supplement again. I have tried before and had bad results. The usual gas, cramps and D. There is not much choice here in Northern Ontario, on fibre supplements. When I have good days,meaning not much D. gas,etc.... mind you though I am always crampy due to the colitis; I eat pretty much everything,within reason. Steamed veggies, chicken or sometimes a hamburger and fries, mmmhm, most foods from Heather's book. I only take immodium if I really have to go somewhere. Most times I let the D. take its course. Or if I get really tired I take one to slow down the D. When I have to many bm's during a day,or say 5-8 times within an hour (I hate It when this happens) my colitis flares up. I bleed from my rectum alot.When this happens I usually end up on Iron tablets due to loosing so much blood. I take 6 dipentum capsules daily, and at night I use Pentasa enema . This is to control the colitis. But when I'm bleeding alot it gets very discouraging when the bleeding doesn't stop. Its a vicious circle. I get everything under control, then the IBS strikes (half the time I never know why?) then the colitis strikes. Hope I have answered your ?"s. Sue

#14608 - 07/22/03 01:15 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know how you feel. I'm not sure about the colitis, but for IBS, what I do is stick to the list of Heather's What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything - which is all soluble fiber. White bread, rice, plain pasta with garlic salt, plain rice cakes, soda crackers, etc. Make sure you drink LOTS of water to replenish your fluids - remember D can dehydrate you REALLY quickly - which will make you feel sleepy and weak and generally crummy. Alternately, try lots of your favourite tea - peppermint does wonders for my D attacks.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#14620 - 07/22/03 02:22 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Who is the quote by at the end of your entry, Josie?

Quote new
      #14645 - 07/22/03 09:54 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

It is anonymous. I tried to put that at the end, but there wasn't enough room. Just to be sure, I did a quick google search and it is quoted as a Swedish proverb. There are some really great quotes out there. I am going to go back and search out some others!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2564 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1480

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review