All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: miralax?? new
      #144639 - 01/30/05 09:16 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Right, you want to take in a good amount of soluble fiber as well as insoluble. Although, most of us don't get enough soluble fiber, which is why something like Acacia, Citrucel, or Benefiber is best opposed to Metamucil, etc. It will help stablize the tummy and then make it easier to have a bowel movement. One or two doses will not make you go. Your body needs to slowly take it in and you need to increase it slowly so that your body will become accustomed to it. You want to get to around 15 grams of soluble fiber per day. If you start at 15, you will get too bloated, cramped, etc. So, start with a couple grams and work your way up. I use Miralax as an extra boost, because right now the fiber alone is not making me have regular bowel movements. I'm still new to all the fiber supplements. However, when I take my miralax and a dose of acacia in the morning, versus miralax alone, on an EMPTY stomach before breakfast, the bowel movement I get after I eat is MUCH better and I feel more relieved. I notice now that the more soluble fiber and even insoluble fiber I take in per day, the bowel movements are greater. I hope I helped you. If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Jessica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Miralax & Acacia new
      #144726 - 01/31/05 07:18 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I take one capful of Miralax in the morning. I've noticed that if I don't use Acacia, I have nice soft bm's, but if I use the Acacia at anytime during the day, I get a little C and hard bm's again.

Anyone else notice that?

#144729 - 01/31/05 07:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If miralax twice a day was giving you D, than try cutting it to once a day! You can even go to half a cup once a day! I take miralax every morning with the acacia mixed right in. If I travel or eat something that makes me C, I'll add in a second dose or if I happen to get a little D, I'll cut back for a day or two. You can totally play around with the dose to find what works best for you.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Miralax & Acacia new
      #144745 - 01/31/05 07:45 AM
jessica28

I haven't noticed that. I usually will have that same cocktail in the morning, BM after breakfast and then usually again after dinner, but not as "good" of one. Like Michelle said, you may need to play with the dose. I tired taking 2 doses for a couple days and that seemed to slow me down more than speed things up.

Jessica (Miralax user too!)

Re: Miralax & Acacia new
      #144818 - 01/31/05 09:15 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I don't think I need two doses. Sometimes I have to cut back because the one dose gets me going so much. So I've got to figure out how to add some SFS into the equation without getting C.
Thanks for your reply! It really helps to talk to others in the same situation.

#146861 - 02/04/05 06:11 PM
tribarkin

Reged: 03/30/04
Loc: Holden, MA

Hi Everyone:
My doctor just prescribed Miralax for me as the Acacia has not been enough by itself. I tried increasing my dose from 2 TBS to 3TBS but got too gassy and had to cut back. The doctor said that Miralax is a perfectly safe organic laxative. The ingredient sounds a bit scary to me Polyethelene Glycol, is this really safe to use? The name doesn't exactly sound organic to me, it sounds like something that belongs in my car rather than something I should ingest... I read one post about someone being pregnant and their doctor telling them to stop taking Miralax as it might not be safe. If there is a question of safety in pregnancy, then why wouldn't there be a question for everyone else? Just trying to eductate myself before taking this medication. Anyone have any medical information they can share on this?
Thanks,
Jody Champlin
Holden, MA

--------------------
Jody Champlin

#146865 - 02/04/05 06:25 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

My daughter takes miralax (unfortunately she has my tummy problems at age 5) and it didn't have that effect on her, maybe it was the dosage? The doc upped her dosage b/c it wasn't relieving her C. As far as which is worse D or C? Well I am an A (alternate btwn D and C). And I have to tell ya the C is very painful but I would much rather have that then the explosive D when out in public. Embarassing sounds and smells cannot be masked but pain can be masked at least a little. But I rather have neither. Ha! Wishful thinking I know.

Good Luck,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#146919 - 02/05/05 06:47 AM
jessica28

Hello... I take Miralax and have been doing so for about 6 months now. It's helped alot...I actually just saw my doctor and asked him if it is safe to take when I get pregnant and he said yes, because it is simply drawing water to the colon and is not a stimulant laxative. Michelle on here also said her doctor said it was okay and even prescribed miralax to his own pregnant wife. I have not heard any negative medical things about it... Michelle and I actually take our miralax with a dose of acacia and it gives things an extra boost. It may not work for you, but you might want to experiment. Good luck.

Jessica

anyone have excessive thirst on miralax? new
      #285582 - 10/07/06 04:22 PM
al

Reged: 03/06/06

i just started on it about four days ago, and it just worked today (i kept adjusting the dose upward as my doc said to)
but all of this time i have been incredibly thirsty. does this happen with others?

after using it for awhile can i expect to be less thirsty?
i know we need to drink a lot but sheesh, my mouth feels like its the desert

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 579 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review