All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Re: New Here, IBS-D
      #143497 - 01/27/05 04:20 PM
Carolyn28

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Southern California

Hi everyone! I am new here, this is my first post, but I have been reading and searching all the posts for the last few weeks. I bought Heather's books, and Acacia too. I am following the diet, and I did not have any episodes(for about two weeks), until this morning.
I have lost about 15 pounds too, (due to healthy eating, and new lifestyle)
My question is - I took almost 1/2 teaspoon of Acacia this morning. Do you think that could have triggered Diahrea ?
I have been doing so good, but them I had it this morning, and got bummed out.
I am also worried now, because tommorrow night, my husband and I and some friends are going to a concert, and I am panicking that I may have another episode. I am going to drive, so I wont be drinking, and i am going to make sure to eat at home before hand, but does anyone have any other advise ? Anything at this point will calm me down.
I feel that I already know so many of you, from reading all your posts and seeing your pictures!!
I am so glad this message board is here, and there are others like me! Any help would be great!

Love, Carolyn

--------------------
Suffer from IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Here, IBS-D new
      #143499 - 01/27/05 04:37 PM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

Welcome to the boards! Did you use the Acacia before this morning? Have you tried Imodium? Sometimes I use it when I am going out and need to try to prevent an attack! Try not to get too nervous though, that definitely does not help D...I know, easier said than done...I am also an IBS-D!

#143500 - 01/27/05 04:53 PM
Carolyn28

I used a little Acacia yesterday, but since I was fine last night, I thought it would be okay to take almost half a teaspoon this morning. I took it, and then had a toasted bagel for breakfast, and an hour later - I was running to the bathroom. (Someone was using the ladies restroom here at work, and I had to wait -and the waiting was the worst!)
I don't know if I just took a little too much Acacia or not.
It might be the stress of going out tommorrow night too, because I havn't gone out far away in a few weeks.
Thanks for the advice on Immodium though, I do always make sure to keep plenty of it in by bag.

--------------------
Suffer from IBS-D

#143501 - 01/27/05 04:54 PM
Niesan

Reged: 01/18/05

Hi, I also am pretty new to the site. I also suffer from ibs-d. I have never tried the acacia but I have taken Imodium when I needed to go out and do things. But this does not resolve my abdominal pain and bloating. It got to the point that I bought clothing one size bigger. I live in NY so I was referred to a GI Doctor who has done alot of research on ibs. I was originally put on remeron at a much lower dosage than what is used as antidepressant. (I do not suffer from depression or anxiety and never had been on medication) it reduced the attacks by 45%. But I gained 20lb!!!!. Finally Lotronex was introduced in the market and I have been on it since(>20 months). It decreased the attacks by 95%. Do not get me wrong I do feel bloated at times but I am able to work and function. I have a very demanding job and I do not call in sick. THe diet is very helpfull for the gas but I owe having a pretty close to normal life to lotronex.
Welcome to the board.
Alicia

Welcome! new
      #143505 - 01/27/05 05:09 PM
DynaDeb

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: NW Indiana

I'm fairly new here myself, but there's plenty of great support. I'm IBS-D also, finally diagnosed in December, after 5 yrs of symptoms. My GI put me on Citrucel (SFS-- 2 tabs only at bedtime with just enough water to get them down) and Nulev (anti-spasmodic for pain). These things along with finding this website and following Heather's diet "what to eat when you can't eat anything" (consisting of only soluble fiber) really helped calm my system down.
Sorry, I can't help about the acacia b/c since the citrucel is working, I'm afraid to switch. Lots of others here use it though, so it can help. I do know you have to be very careful about how much you use. Since it is fiber it can make the D worse if you are sensitive. All these work different for everybody. Just a question of testing it out for yourself.
Good luck and keep us posted on how your night at the concert goes. Try not to get too nervous so you can enjoy it.
Debby

--------------------
Debby

"Live to Ride. Ride to Live."

Re: Welcome! new
      #143515 - 01/27/05 06:02 PM
Carolyn28

Thank you for the tip. I honestly think I may have just taken a little too much fiber supplement, which caused my body to go a little crazy this morning.
I think I will take an Immodium tommorrow afternoon, if I am feeling a little unstable - so that way I can relax at the concert.
One question though- can taking an Immodium before getting D, actually have the reverse reaction, and cause D ???

--------------------
Suffer from IBS-D

Can't answer that-never used immodium-but others have--nt-- new
      #143517 - 01/27/05 06:09 PM
DynaDeb

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: NW Indiana

--------------------
Debby

"Live to Ride. Ride to Live."

Re: Welcome! new
      #143540 - 01/27/05 07:08 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Carolyn.I'm an IBS A but mostly suffer from D. Acacia is supposed to be the gentlest form of SFS. I tried benefibre and it was wonderful for 2 days then gave me really bad d for 5 so I went off it and the d slowed down. I was only taking 1/8 of a teaspoon and now every time I try it again I get d so be careful and go slowly.
In regards to your night out, try taking an antispasmodic (an over the counter one like buscopan is fine) an hour before you leave and maybe also take some immodium or immodium advance (I have to use the advance, the normal one causes all sorts of pain and advance has simethicone which helps stop wind) to prevent d. The reccommended dose is 2 but I find if I'm taking it as a precaution I only need one most of the time. Hope this helps and good luck with your night out. Have a great time.

--------------------
Amy

Immodium etc. new
      #143596 - 01/28/05 01:24 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Welcome!

Immodium is fine to take just in case. In fact you can actually take it regularly as a preventative - I took one tablet every morning for a few months to help me stabilise. Just don't ever try to go over the top and take 5 pills at once thinking that'll be better!

I think the recommendation is to start at 1/4 tsp Acacia once a day, then twice a day, then 3 times a day THEN up the dosage size. I was on a pretty harsh SFS before I got Acacia so I just went for the full dose...the side effects were alot less than I was getting from my old SFS! I'd drop down to 1/4 tsp and wait until you're less stressed about all this to increase the dose. It's hard to know if you're intolerant to it (which very occasionally happens) when you're stressing your body out anyway.

Enjoy going out tomorrow!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1594

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review