All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
INITIAL CAUSE OF IBS
      #143158 - 01/26/05 05:55 PM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

What does research say about what starts IBS into motion? (Or in my case, into immobility!) Now, I KNOW stress is a factor in keeping my IBS alive, but it started when I began taking calcium one year (9 years ago.) That was my first bad bout of C (sent me to the emergency room.) I didn't draw the connection and kept taking the calcium, my digestion getting worse and worse. Obviously, I eventually got off of the calcium,and it wasn't emergency room worthy anymore, but still REALLY, REALLY BAD!

Could that initial TRAUMA have caused the IBS to start? And if so, does anyone know some strategies SPECIFIC to GUT TRAUMA that could help after all these years?

Thanks,
Karen

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: INITIAL CAUSE OF IBS new
      #143172 - 01/26/05 06:29 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi Karen..... from everything I've read there doesn't seem to be any identifiable "initial cause". I have read a few things here and there about anti-d's that are prescribed to help C end up making it worse in the long run. Also, I have read a thing or two that traumatic bodily experiences (surgery for example) may set it in motion. Other than that, I think it's a mystery. According to Heather's book there is no common thread to a cause.

#143209 - 01/26/05 08:12 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I have heard that too about the tummy trauma. I am not sure that is true. My mother has Ibs and has not had any trauma to tummy besides have kids. I have IBS D and I had a splenactomy at the age of 4 because of a blood disease. I am not so sure that would be the cause of it. I think it would make it easier to cope with this if we could say what caused it.

#143215 - 01/26/05 08:19 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

mine all started with stress and a stomach ulcer from taking too many painkillers for my migraines when I was in college....mostly my initial cause is stress and anxiety and I have never gotten better since the ulcer.

but I agree there is not common thread, because so many of these people have had it since they were children, and most children don't have too much stress or anxiety.

However, i was an anxious child, who often threw tantrums and had colic as a baby, and do remember being constipated quite a bit when i was younger. But always ate everything including brussel sprouts, milk, I was person who would try anything and never have any problems for most of my life, and always ate really healthy, whole wheat, balanced diet, etc. But now I am IBS-D, mostly stress related.

so maybe it is in us when we are born, and then just eventually comes out when something traumatic happens, who knows. no easy answer.

#143224 - 01/26/05 08:53 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

Mine began after a couple of years on antibiotics. I was on ampicillin everyday for nearly two years for acne and well into that course I realized that I was now lactose intolerant. I used to drink milk all of the time with no problems, but now I would get massive cramps & D when I had dairy. I took a while for me to figure it out until my girlfriend suggested that I stop dairy for a week---viola! no problems!! It seems shortly after that I would get urgency/D after eating and needing a bathroom ASAP. Prior to that I survived stressful situations like Gulf War I with no digestive problems.

Re: Initial Cause Of IBS new
      #143233 - 01/26/05 11:59 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Gut trauma of some kind is reasonably common - mine started after a very bad infection followin which I had the stress of finals exams. Most people seem to either have it from childhood or suffer some kind of gut trauma (having children can be one possible).

However, there is no need to treat IBS differently depending on how it is caused. Once you've got it, then it's just IBS...and this diet is the best way to contol it!

#143244 - 01/27/05 03:10 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I'm pretty sure mine was teenage rebellion.

I used to take drugs, and my IBS came on at about the same time as my anxiety got serious... and to be honest, I blame ecstasy. Being as it causes massive release of serotonin, and causes damage to serotonin receptors (which may or may not regenerate... I'm waiting with bated breath for a lady at my university to finish her research on it!).... it follows that the serotonin synapses in the gut would also be affected.
There may be some kind of predisposition to it I guess, as most of my friends from that time are basically okay.

Geez, the things they don't tell you when they tell you to just say no! I've been drug free for three years, but I may never be IBS free.

--------------------
*Emma*

#143252 - 01/27/05 04:26 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Mine was just anxiety from a really early age, my mum and nan both suffer with anxiety but were never honest about it! I just picked up on it when I was a child! It usually centered around food, if we ever went out for a meal or went on holiday I wouldn't want to eat etc. Kinda came with me until the present day! I used to suffer with sore throats quite a bit, so would be prescribed antibiotics quite a bit, then the icing on the cake was the stomach bug I got at the end of 2004, then I started taking it seriously and thanks to Heather's site, I feel almost human again!

#143300 - 01/27/05 08:41 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

Mine came on after my 5th major abdominal surgery and all of the stress that it caused. That last surgery threw me into a downward spiral of extreme daily anxiety and I have never been the same since. I am doing okay on the diet, but for me it seems that it's more how MUCH that I eat rather than what I eat. It seems that one thing we all have in common, I could be wrong here though, is that we all suffer from being very anxious/stressed people. I think that alone messes with the mind-gut interaction, at least for me it does, since I never had these problems before my surgery....

--------------------

Re: Initial Cause Of IBS new
      #143491 - 01/27/05 03:49 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I have had it for as long as I can remember. My mom use to give me catro oil and cod liver oil to have me go.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Edited by LittleFox (01/27/05 03:50 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review