All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
To Butter or Not to Butter...
      #142755 - 01/25/05 10:29 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

That is the question...

I'm finding it hard baking all the time without butter/margarine. I've even make clarrifed butter, but it's so much work to just use it all in a recipe for muffins! I know I can use applesause and date jam and such.

Just wondering what you all use for butter for say muffin and cookie recipes?? Using applesauce is sometimes a risk, sometimes it just doesn't work.

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To Butter or Not to Butter... new
      #142772 - 01/26/05 04:32 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I'm not sure if you can get your hands on Soy margarine, here its called Pure and it works a treat and (I think) tastes better! I didn't do much dairy before my IBS, so my calcium intake was very low, now I have too much calcium! Its great stuff!! Worth a go!

Not to butter! new
      #142776 - 01/26/05 04:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Definitely no butter. I use the applesauce substitution, and I've never had it NOT work. The key is to leave in *some* fat, and to not do the substitution for cookies because it just doesn't work. You pretty much have to go with a cookie recipe that's already low-fat and IBS-safe, rather than modifying an existing one.

I also find that adding a tablespoon of cornstarch to things like muffins, cakes, and quick breads *really* improves the texture if you do the applesauce substitution.

Organic Margarine new
      #142808 - 01/26/05 06:50 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You could try Organic Earth Balance Whipped Buttery Spread. I have severe IBS, but I can tolerate this "margarine" because it is organic and contains no additives or chemicals. It's 100 per cent vegan so it has no dairy products and it actually tastes good! I highly recommend it! It's available at health food stores and Trader Joe's in the U.S. and health food stores in Canada.

If you want to get even better suggestions from our veteran IBS cooks, you might want to post your question on Heather's IBS Recipes board. You'll get lots and lots of good advice there!

I think you could probably also use some veggie oils, but I'm not an expert on baking.

Belinda

Thanks for the advice....... new
      #142811 - 01/26/05 07:00 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

That's good to know, Casey. I tried making some cookies a few months ago using the applesauce substitution. They were so aweful. It made me wonder if the applesauce ruins lots of recipes. So I've been avoiding that substitution unless I've found a recipe that already has it incorporated.

Apparently it's generally ok in other types of baked goods, though. I'll have to try that with your cornstarch suggestion.

Soy margarine sticks...... new
      #142812 - 01/26/05 07:04 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

At a health food store, I found an Earth Balance margarine (I think it's soy) that comes in sticks. It says you can bake with it. The package says it's "NEW." I've added it to bread ingredients in my bread machine, but I haven't done any real baking with it yet. Will try it soon.

NO Butter... new
      #142814 - 01/26/05 07:10 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have discovered severe issues with ANY dairy even small amounts... you are much better off with other things.. if you really must make cookies instead of muffins/cakes/quick breads... then either do bar cookies or plan for soft cookies and use shortening, though it isn't much better then butter in a lot of cases.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review