All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Probiotics...desperate for anything to help new
      #143109 - 01/26/05 03:29 PM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

It has lactobaccilus and acidophilus and other bacteria that help recolonize your colon with the appropriate balance of bacteria. I happen to know that I have an excess of methane producing bacteria from the breath test. So the beneficial bacteria are supposed to help digestion I suppose. I think it has been working cause I have felt better the last few days. What med school are you going to?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Taroh - above post was reply to you... new
      #143111 - 01/26/05 03:30 PM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Re: desperate for anything to help new
      #143124 - 01/26/05 03:48 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Thanks for your words of encouragement

Re: desperate for anything to help new
      #143134 - 01/26/05 04:14 PM
truenorth

Reged: 01/25/05
Loc: Colorado

Hey this is my first time at this. I just got out of the hospital in Dec. I went in 3x and a lot of test to find out I had IBS with ovian cyst and my bowls where growing to the side of my wall inside. I am having a hard time dealing with all of this and I found this site. I was told 2days ago I have to change my diet completly. I think I have had this for 2 years but since I dont have my gallbadder taken out 7years ago nothing has been the same since. BUT since I got out of the hospital I can not stay out of the bathroom and everything runs through me like a tube from my mouth to my bottom about 6inches long:)I am so misserable. My boyfriend is so understanding but i am so tried and stressed out. Besides the fact I hate the bathroom thing anyway i have to live there now. The other night we went to eat out and in that time i went 6x and so imberresed. Its like I dont wont to leave home. I sell townhomes in colorado and its 3 storys nightmare on my stomach. My drive home is 1hour running to the bathroom when i get home my kids think I am funny but they have no I diea the pain I am going through. Its almost like death to eat anymore which I love everything. Dairy is my favorite and now it just kills me evertime i eat it. I am going to try this special diet thats on this site I hope it works. Its going to be hard when I have a 18 and 15 and boyfriend that loves to eat. Does stress make IBS worse. No one understands me in my family. I think they think I am making this up. I really want to be heathy again the dr's put my on dycylcomine but I dont think its working. They didnt seem to really know that much about IBS and I think they are guessing. Is there something better to take?? Help in CO

Re: Probiotics...desperate for anything to help new
      #143168 - 01/26/05 06:24 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I have taken acidopholous (?) before and it did not seem to help. I was just accepted at University of Illinois-chicago campus - where do you attend med school??

truenorth new
      #143236 - 01/27/05 12:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

you say you've had lots of tests - have you had a colonoscopy? That's pretty important. ALso, have you been seeing a GI?

Read all the diet guidelines and get started! If you love to cook and eat, I'd really recommend "Eating For IBS". It's full of fantastic recipes off really yummy food. My DH loves food too and he loves Heather's recipes. We hardly miss anything we used to eat.

Stress definitely makes IBS worse. You might want to consider taking up yoga or doing the hypno program - both approaches have really good track records.

I'm not sure what that drug is. As you're D, I'd (personally) recommend taking Immodium every day as a preventative and getting some enteric peppermint capsules which are a very good anti-spasmodic.

Good luck.

Re: My Surgery Story......... new
      #143308 - 01/27/05 09:04 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Last year I had Colorectal Surgery. My intestines had prolapsed. The muscles in the wall of the rectum were not strong enough to hold the intestines in place.

After suffering with this, it was very embarrasing for me. I thought I was the only person who could possibly be suffering with this problem. How could I talk to anyone about it? How could I make a Dr. understand what was happening to me? After asking 4 docs about it, over a 2 year time span, and getting sent back and forth to other Dr's because no one wanted to be bothered with me. I finally found a great GI in Houston, who sent me straight to a Colorectal Surgeon. THe GI, was infuriated that on one cared enough to find me help.

To shorten this story, I went to the CR Surgeon, he immediately diagnosed me, in 1 month I was in the hospital.
He also told me that he could not guarantee this type of repair surgery would take hold, be effective. That only time would tell. He explained that normally when this surgery is done that they remove part of the colon, EXCEPT IN PEOPLE WITH IBS!!!! IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT NO PART OF THE COLON BE REMOVED BECAUSE PEOPLE WITH IBS NEED EVERY IN CH OF INTESTINE THAT THEY CAN GET !!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, he did the surgery, did not remove any of my intestine and to this day, I seem to be doing fine.

Now, if you should ever, ever, be tempted by any type of doc to do surgery for IBS, I would reccomend that you run, not walk, but run out of that office never to return.

OR, if you should have to have some type of surgery, or the same thing I had. Go immediately to the best hospital in your area, and seek out the most prominent surgeon in his feild. I drove over an hour away to see this Dr. he is in Houston, and has priveledges at Methodist Hospital in the Medical Center in Houston. He is also the Senior Colorectal Surgeon in his group. This is what I mean by getting the best. Thank Goodness for my insurance, and that he is a provider.

I will never, ever have any type of surgery again, that I am not sure of the Surgeon, and his background and reputation. I have had enough surgery to know that I will never place my life in someones hands that I feel is fully capable of taking care of me, and does not practice in a World Class facility. I don't care how far I have to drive.

OK, off the soap box for now. I just get upset when Dr's abuse their priveleges and their patients health.

NO SURGERY FOR IBS !!!! love ya'll !!!

Good argument Gayla! new
      #143310 - 01/27/05 09:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

This "surgery for IBS" thing is SCARY!

Re: truenorth new
      #143347 - 01/27/05 10:11 AM
truenorth

Reged: 01/25/05
Loc: Colorado

Thanks!! I did have the GI and they went into my stomach and took cat scans and x-ray. I did pretty good last night but I am so scared to eat. I know it sounds stupid but I am just so tired of being so sick. I started taking fiber pills and it seems to keep my D's incontrol so far. I just have so much pain in side and out. No one seems to know what to really do and I hate taking meds. I would rather not but I dont know what to do. Do you have problems with your potasseium levels?

Re: truenorth new
      #143350 - 01/27/05 10:15 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

Could I purchase these enteric peppermint capsules at a health food store - right now I am once again on librax for spasims and it does not help at all??

How many do you take - before or after each meal-

thanks for advice!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1562 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13430

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review