All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Has anyone had this experience w/Atkins diet
      #142121 - 01/24/05 05:02 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I know it's a big no-no based on Heather's advice, and I'm not at all pro Atkins diet (I don't think it's healthy to not eat as many fruits, veggies and whole grains as you would like). However, two times I tried the Atkins diet out of desperation, and I can say that it absolutely took away almost 100% of my bloating, gas and severe discomfort- but because I am a C, I couldn't go at all without laxatives which led to nasty D since there was nothing but protein and fat in there. Just wanted to know if anyone else has tried the diet and what your results were. Apologies if I am repeating discussions you all have already had, i'm new and trying to read as much as possible!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My experience new
      #142162 - 01/24/05 06:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I tried Atkins almost exactly a year ago, hoping to lose a stubborn 20lbs or so. Long story short, it destroyed my health. It didn't *cause* my IBS, but it definitely made it a lot worse. I had D and cramping almost every day. (I'm an A, by the way.) I had to be stubborn and keep at it, and it eventually made me so sick that I couldn't eat at all - even when I switched to Heather's diet, at first - ended up underweight, and my doctor was threatening me with hospitalization if I lost any more.

A year later, I'm still recovering... I still can't work, I'm still not stable, and I still have attacks. Prior to going on Atkins, I had been basically stable for years.

Needless to say, I'm VERY anti-low-carb.

Re: My experience new
      #142166 - 01/24/05 06:24 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Thanks for your response....... i'm sorry you had such a bad time with the diet and are unable to work. This disorder is such a cruel cosmic joke.

Atkins new
      #142229 - 01/25/05 02:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

With Atkins, you cut out all IF, so that could be why it helped the bloating. But you can do that without doing Atkins!!

Re: My experience new
      #142819 - 01/26/05 07:20 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I have suffered with IBS on and off for about 30 years. When I went on the Atkins diet, the the high protein,(mostly beef for me, we are beef producers so I had plenty of it in my freezer), and fat intake sent me into the worst and longest lasting attack I have suffered in all of these years. Coupled with the high-fiber diet the idiot GI doctor put me on, hurt me in such a way that 3 years later, I am still trying to get my body back into control. UGH, not sure if I see that happening in the near future or not.

Stress also being at high levels for me for many years hasn't helped the matter any. Walking seems to be one of the few things that actually make me feel better.

Hope this helped you.

Butting in if that's okay... new
      #142825 - 01/26/05 07:32 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

A close family member of mine went on that Atkins diet and did drop a lot of weight(this person does not have IBS by the way, just went on it to drop weight)and it destroyed her health and her kidneys. I know that lots of people go on this diet and think it's safe, but it kills me to hear when people even hint about going on it after I saw what it did to my relative. It has taken her many years and many meds to get back to "somewhat" normal. In my opinion, IBS or not, if God had intended us to eat just meat and fat, then there would be no fruits, veggies and carbs on the earth.. Sorry for going off on a tangent, but it's a passionate subject for me. On the other hand, there is the Southbeach diet, which incorporates much more variety and healthy foods into your daily eating. Have you looked into that one? The principal of my daughter's school went on that and he said he felt great and he dropped about 2 pant sizes. Not sure what all that diet entails, but it seems safer than Atkins. Oh, Atkins also can give you horid breath, and I'm not sure why, but it does. Bleh

--------------------

Edited by jujubeeof2 (01/26/05 07:33 AM)

Atkins diet & C new
      #142829 - 01/26/05 07:39 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

My dh normally has no C problems. He's been on the Atkins diet for several years, off & on, but generally "on" it. It definitely causes him C. What usually helps him is to drink coffee & to eat the sugar-free candies they've come out with.

I think it's ironic that those candies help him. They just give me horrible gas & discomfort. "I have IBS-C."

As a side note, I went on the Atkins diet for a couple of months several years ago. I'm already very C, so I truly didn't notice any effect on that. But I didn't enjoy the diet, as I don't like meat, eggs, & cheese very much. And I got sick of eating salads all the time.

My system has gotten more sensitive in the past couple of years, so the Atkins diet would probably make me feel aweful now. Heather's diet has been good for me.

Most of those candies... new
      #142831 - 01/26/05 07:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...contain what are basically laxatives! So that's why they helped him, but would be too harsh for an IBS-er.

Re: Most of those candies... new
      #142836 - 01/26/05 07:48 AM
bellshel32

I thought it was weird that those candies don't give me D. (Guess because I'm so prone to C.) They do make me feel icky, though.

Re: Butting in if that's okay... new
      #142841 - 01/26/05 07:53 AM
bellshel32

I agree with you that the Atkins diet doesn't seem healthy. My dh followed the Atkins diet strickly at first, but now he eats fruits & veggies too. The funny thing is that he loves the food I fix on Heather's diet, so he usually eats whatever I cook for dinner. He just goes light on the rice/potatoes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review