All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anti Spasmodics and IBS-C
      #141523 - 01/23/05 11:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do people here on the boards who have constipation and pain find that anti spasmodics help them? I want to take them for the cramps and pain, but I am afraid they will increase the constipation. When I am constipated 6 out of 7 days of the week, the pain is worse, which would make taking the NULev useless if it increases the C.

Since anti Spasmodics slow down the gut, it would make sense that they would cause constipation.

Any thoughts from fellow IBS-C folks?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have the same problem with them new
      #141568 - 01/23/05 03:28 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

...so I don't take them unless I have really bad D which I harldy ever get b/c Im mostly C. Have you tried extra strength tylenol and a heating pad with a glass of peppermint tea. That sometimes does the trick for me. If it doesn't I just curl up in bed and cry.
Good luck.
Chany

I think it's probable.... new
      #141640 - 01/23/05 05:51 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Beth. I'm on Colese and being an A leaning towards D they've been great. I'm only on one a day though as 2 was clogging me up so bad I thought I'd die. It was worse than the d! Ask your doctor about it. C was listed as a major side effect on the packet and said not to take it if you were constipated.

--------------------
Amy

A definate no no new
      #141680 - 01/23/05 06:59 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I took antispasmodics when I had really bad tummy cramps, but had very regular BMs. They were awful and I swear will never take them again!!! They made me C for about a week so had to take laxatives, which started up a vicious cycle of bad BMs. Urghh what a nightmare.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Anti Spasmodics and IBS-C new
      #141756 - 01/24/05 06:05 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Augie- I took Levsin and NuLev- they are the same medicine hyoscamine. They are manufactrued at the same place but marketed under different names. I took the .125 mg and it made me very drowsy, the weird thing was that it only worked if I took it BEFORE the cramps started, once they were there (the cramps) the medicine didn't seem to help. Weird hah?
My GI doctor told me that they do cause constipation. Again I never took mine on a daily basis as I can't function that way at work. If I was having a really really bad day with cramping I would take one- but never continually so I don't know personally if over time they do cause constipation.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

What to do for the pain then new
      #141976 - 01/24/05 12:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So what do people with IBS-C take for pain if anti-spasmodics are out on a daily basis? I HURT!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#141979 - 01/24/05 01:00 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

I'm an A, but more C. I took Bentyl for about a year and a half and for a year I was symptom free...it was wonderful. Then they stopped working. I was never really constipated from them, I actually thought they made my BM's better. Anyway, my GI took me off of them since they weren't helping anymore. I'm sure you're really confused now, but everyone is different and they may not be out of the question for you.

#141985 - 01/24/05 01:10 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

When I was having occasional boughts of D last year (strange because I'm ALWAYS C), the GI doc prescribed me an antispasmotic (can't remember the name). I got so C & uncomfortable that I refused to continue taking it. It made me feel so aweful that I threw away the bottle, thinking there's no way I'd ever need those again.

FYI, being on the Miralax for the past couple weeks has taken away most of my cramping episodes.

Re: What to do for the pain then new
      #141989 - 01/24/05 01:17 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

The only thing to help me get rid of the pain is to have a bm. When it gets that bad, I use an enema.

Before I had meds, I got such horrible cramping that would have me doubled over in pain & have hot flashes. (So I know how you feel)

Have you tried Miralax? or other meds to help you go more regularly?

I tried Zelnorm, too, which was helpful for a while.

Several years ago, I used Lactulose to help me have bm's when I felt too C. I think the Zelnorm & Miralax work much better on me, though.

#141998 - 01/24/05 01:31 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I take Nulev (low dose hyoscyamine) when I know I'm going to eat something that will cause cramps.. thats it. It stops the spasms... but I am an A.. I haven't noticed it causing C, but I normally take it when I would otherwise be having D along with Immodium... of course I have taken it alone... and when I might not get D, but I haven't really noticed it givign me C.. I do know I took some yesterday and it hasn't helped the C my antibiotics have caused along with the cramping, gas and pain that the meds don't seem to cut it for right now

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#142027 - 01/24/05 02:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

They are not for C-ers.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#142079 - 01/24/05 03:47 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I agree. I am on Lexapro and very rarely have stomach pain like I did before they were prescribed.

I take Acacia, have a Colace 3 x per day, eat as much fruit and vegetables as I can and so far so good.

I have a bm almost everyday, I try do exercise at least 5 x per week (it really helps with the gas and bloating).

Everyone is different, and react to meds and such in different ways. Lexapro is working for me, and it does not give me C.

I am IBS-a prone to C. I have Miralax, but I don't take it. I get too much gas and bloating from it.

If I, (as we all), could solve the gas and bloating problem, it would be a miracle.

finf out what works for you and run with it!!!

Good Luck.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#142080 - 01/24/05 03:49 PM
LittleFox

I agree. I am on Lexapro and very rarely have stomach pain like I did before they were prescribed.

I take Acacia, have a Colace 3 x per day, eat as much fruit and vegetables as I can and so far so good.

I have a bm almost everyday, I try do exercise at least 5 x per week (it really helps with the gas and bloating).

Everyone is different, and react to meds and such in different ways. Lexapro is working for me, and it does not give me C.

I am IBS-A prone to C. I have Miralax, but I don't take it. I get too much gas and bloating from it.

If I, (as we all), could solve the gas and bloating problem, it would be a miracle.

Find out what works for you and run with it!!!

Good Luck.

Lene

--------------------

#142082 - 01/24/05 03:50 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

How many times a day do you take miralax? I am new at this and not sure about anything

thanks!

#142085 - 01/24/05 03:52 PM
LittleFox

You should take them as your doc prescribes.

Lene

--------------------

#142087 - 01/24/05 03:55 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I am on lilbrax - is that considered an anti-spasmodic? I think so - but I am down to 1 per day because my mouth is sooo dry and to tell you the truth I do not think it has helped at all.

What are other names of anti-spasmodics - I probably tried them all - and no wonder they do not work - especially when you are more IBS-C!!!!!!!!!!!

#145075 - 01/31/05 06:53 PM
dpratt68

Reged: 01/09/05
Loc: MA

How many times a day did you take bentyl? I was prescribed three times a day but only take it at bedtime and if I'm feeling an attack coming on. Just curious if this will do me any good. I am basically IBS-C

#145119 - 01/31/05 11:35 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

augi the nulev does work great. i use the generic brand only of nelev. its call hyscomine.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: What to do for the pain then new
      #145153 - 02/01/05 05:58 AM
Debs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: England

Hi Beth,

Sorry you are having a bad time of things at the moment. I am a C but over the last few weeks have been A. I was prescribed some antispadmodic (not sure if spelt right) and yes they do give me C. I used them until the pain had gone and then stopped taking them and yes I was uncomfortable for a few days until i started having my bowel movements and then I was fine. (I'd rather be uncomfortable than in pain) (But yet again I would like neither). Now i only take my tablets when I know I am going out for a meal and know that this will stress me and cause me to have horrible cramps and bloating. I have spoken with my doctor about this and he said it was fine for me to do this. this way I am in control not the IBS.

While taking the tablets I started also drinking a lot of peppermint tea and also drinking a lot of boiled water. I generally drink 3 litres or more of water per day now and I do feel fine. I know when I have not drunk enough water because I end up going towards C.

Unfortunatley as far as i am aware all of these kinds of tablets don't help us c's in the fact they make us worse, but they do target the pain.

If I were you i would take the tablets if they are working for the pain and drink plenty of peppermint tea if you are able to and lots of warm water.

Good luck let us know if anything works for you.

Take care

Debs

Re: Anti Spasmodics and IBS-C/Lexapro new
      #145163 - 02/01/05 06:34 AM
melissam

Isn't Lexapro an antidepressant... You really noticed that since you have been on the Lexapro that your cramping has been less. I have a prescription for Paxil- took it for 1 day- hated how I felt and stopped. I have heard soooo many good things about antidepressants minizmizing the cramping. Please give me some more insight.

--------------------
Melissa

#145184 - 02/01/05 07:34 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I was on Lexapro and loved it. I had to switch to zoloft because I'm trying to get pregnant and its safer for pregnancy. I prefer the Lexapro and will switch back to it when I can. It is an anti-depressant. For the full explanation of how/why they work well for a lot of IBS patients, check out the Library section, lots of good reading there on the subject!

The lexapro didn't "cure" my ibs but I certainly felt better on it and did have less cramps and pain. ANY anti-depressant is probably going to make you feel odd in the beginning, you HAVE to give it more than a day!! It can take 2-4 weeks for the "side effects" to get better and up to two months for you to notice the full effect.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#145190 - 02/01/05 07:57 AM
melissam

Michele Thank you for your reply- I was originally put on Effexor, I took 3 pills and hated it. I became extremely depressed right before my period because I was having terrible cramping and my doctor sent me to a grief counselor and the doctor at the counseling center put me on Paxil- I took it Friday, went to work- felt funky. Woke up in the middle of the night with an explosive BM (I am IBS-C) then the pain was just unbearable after that- 6:00 in the morning my husband took me to the emergency room where they gave me some dannatol which didn't touch the pain, then they gave me vicadin which worked great. But that isn't the answer. Running to the er. This was my second trip in the month of January. I have heard sooo many good things about Paxil and IBS Michele but I just can't get past those nasty side effects.

--------------------
Melissa

#148980 - 02/11/05 12:06 PM
Sarah22

Reged: 09/09/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I was recently given a perscription for Paxil for my IBS problems and I find it to be the best treatment option so far in my 15 year battle with IBS. AND I totally know what side effects you are talking about, but the longer I take the Paxil, the better the side effects become. The worst time had to be the first 7 days I was taken them. I felt as if I was just plain retarded for that whole week, but that has gone away. Anyway, everyone reacts differently to medication, but I would highly reccomend taking it for 30 days to get past the initial side effects and see how it goes. I wont ever again live without it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6484

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review