All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Anti Spasmodics and IBS-C/Lexapro new
      #145184 - 02/01/05 07:34 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I was on Lexapro and loved it. I had to switch to zoloft because I'm trying to get pregnant and its safer for pregnancy. I prefer the Lexapro and will switch back to it when I can. It is an anti-depressant. For the full explanation of how/why they work well for a lot of IBS patients, check out the Library section, lots of good reading there on the subject!

The lexapro didn't "cure" my ibs but I certainly felt better on it and did have less cramps and pain. ANY anti-depressant is probably going to make you feel odd in the beginning, you HAVE to give it more than a day!! It can take 2-4 weeks for the "side effects" to get better and up to two months for you to notice the full effect.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#145190 - 02/01/05 07:57 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Michele Thank you for your reply- I was originally put on Effexor, I took 3 pills and hated it. I became extremely depressed right before my period because I was having terrible cramping and my doctor sent me to a grief counselor and the doctor at the counseling center put me on Paxil- I took it Friday, went to work- felt funky. Woke up in the middle of the night with an explosive BM (I am IBS-C) then the pain was just unbearable after that- 6:00 in the morning my husband took me to the emergency room where they gave me some dannatol which didn't touch the pain, then they gave me vicadin which worked great. But that isn't the answer. Running to the er. This was my second trip in the month of January. I have heard sooo many good things about Paxil and IBS Michele but I just can't get past those nasty side effects.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#148980 - 02/11/05 12:06 PM
Sarah22

Reged: 09/09/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I was recently given a perscription for Paxil for my IBS problems and I find it to be the best treatment option so far in my 15 year battle with IBS. AND I totally know what side effects you are talking about, but the longer I take the Paxil, the better the side effects become. The worst time had to be the first 7 days I was taken them. I felt as if I was just plain retarded for that whole week, but that has gone away. Anyway, everyone reacts differently to medication, but I would highly reccomend taking it for 30 days to get past the initial side effects and see how it goes. I wont ever again live without it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2065 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6484

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review