All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Airplanes & IBS
      #141467 - 01/23/05 08:25 AM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Does anyone else have a fear of flying with IBS? I had a very painful attack, while flying home from Las Vegas 5 years ago, and still do not want to fly. I don't know how to get over this fear. I get very nervous the night before, which flairs up the ibs, then of course I am uptight during the boarding and the whole process is nerve wracking. Since I had such a painful experience, ( ever try to run for the bathroom, in an airplane?) I just can't make myself want to fly anywhere. My husband would like to go on a trip, but I won't do it. I want to drive if we go on vacation, which limits where we can go. I have tried 2 of the hypnotherapy tapes, but I still fear flying. I don't care if I ever fly again.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Airplanes & IBS new
      #141516 - 01/23/05 11:24 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I loathe flying but not for that reason. You might look into the type of counseling used for phobias, where they desensitize you gradually.

And I always take an extra Imodium or two the night before I travel and the next morning. That helps me alot.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#141615 - 01/23/05 04:55 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I had the same fear but for the opposit reason. Every time I fly I get so C I'm just one big cramp. This year My Husband and I had the opportunity to go to Israel. (a 9 hour flight, plus 3 hours on a plane before that to get to Newark Airport.) Everyone on this site was very encouraging, giving me lots of advice.. and I swallowed my fear and just went. I'm really glad I did b/c I had a great time.

OK - Advice time. Take medication before you go and take extra with you on the airplane. Also .. I know this sounds gross ... but they do make adult size diapers ... worst case senario... if you don't make it to the bathroom on time at least you'll be safe.
Go to a real hypnotist, he may be more help than a tape.
Lots of luck.
Chany
By the way DON'T EAT THE FOOD THEY SERVE ON THE PLANE!

#141638 - 01/23/05 05:47 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Yep. The one and only time I've been on planes was when I got married. Unfortunately I downed a couple of travacalm an hour before take off on an empty stomach (was scared of throwing up, since pregnancy I get horrible car sickness). Lo and behold 1/2 an hour into the flight MAJOR tummy cramps and here's me looking at that loo and how many people were seated right outside the door! I spent the whole flight hunched over trying to doze to make time pass quicker and thinking I would never fly again. And so far I haven't had to, but it's depressing to think I might never go overseas.

--------------------
Amy

#141644 - 01/23/05 05:54 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I was scared but found flying to be fine...I think others have given you great advice here...there is no feeling like conquering a fear..I think you should see this as a personal project and start small...is there somewhere near that you can take an hours flight to, for a vacation? start with a one hour flight..take immodium if you must and see if that works...then you can build up and before you know it you will be flying long distances!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#141867 - 01/24/05 09:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ooo, difficult one. Planes makes me ill too. I find that preparation helps me: taking Immodium, packing lots of water and SF snacks, taking aromatherapy stuff and herbal teas, etc. Also, making sure you get an aisle seat! Good luck, wish I could help more.

Frequent Long Distance Flyer new
      #141875 - 01/24/05 09:48 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Marjo:

I fly at least 12 to 14 times a year on long-haul flights (five-plus hours). I always reserve an aisle seat and I always eat a very careful diet before, during and after the flight. This includes carrying a "lunchbag" cooler with my own food (usually sandwiches) on board with me. I NEVER eat airline food.

My sandwiches have only been confiscated once by U.S. Customs. I was carrying roast beef sandwiches (this was before I discovered Heather's diet) and the U.S. authorities feared mad cow disease! Fortunately, I had one turkey sandwich with me which they let me keep. (No mad turkey disease yet!)

I've never been sick on board a flight because, by bringing my own food, I have total control over what I eat and when I eat. I also bring my own bottled water on board because most North American flights serve tap water instead of bottled water. I get sick from tap water. Bottled water is generally served on overseas flights like when I go to England.

Another thing I do is I eat smaller quantities than usual of food while on board -- enough to keep my stomach full and happy, but not so much as to give it D ideas.

Carrying an extra pair of underwear is probably a good idea, but so far I haven't done that.

I tend to be a very calm, cool traveller maybe because I travel so much.

I have a severe case of IBS, but I refuse to let it run / ruin my life.

By the way, if you fear going on flights because of your IBS, do you also fear sitting in the middle of a long row in a theatre (making it difficult to make a quick exit to the washroom)? I will admit to having this fear and, for that reason, I tend to book aisle seats in theatres!

Belinda

#141907 - 01/24/05 10:45 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I have IBS-C, but whenever I've had to fly I generally have to "run" to the bathroom as soon as I get to the airport. I'm fine after that, but I get so nervous & anxious beforehand that I have to urgently go once or twice. I'm happy that I haven't had it happen on the plane.

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Have you tried taking Immodium before you board the plane? I once had a horrible bought of D at an airport & took Immodium about 30 minutes before we boarded the plane. I was perfectly fine then.

Hmmm new
      #142002 - 01/24/05 01:37 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Am I the only one that finds flying itself (not the food, water or the stress) makes me ill? Maybe it's my Fibro more than the IBS. I know I get so sick, even though I am (or was before I got so sick so many times) a calm flyer, and always take my own food and water.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3710

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review