Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Best fruits and veggies for C
      #140359 - 01/20/05 11:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Sorry, more fruit and veggie talk.

What is the best way to eat fruits for constipation? With the skin on for fiber? Or cooked with the skin? Or is everyone (both C and D) suppose to peel and cook all fruits.

Are canned fruits better for D and fresh better for C? I am sticking to canned twice a day and still no BM so I thought I might take the plunge and try a fresh pear or apple. Should I still peel them if they are fresh even though I am C. Do I cook the pear too?

Which particular fruits are better for constipation, or doesn't it really matter. I know pears and peaches would probably be better than bananas or papaya (insoluble vs soluble). But any in particular that are better to get thing out!

I know the insoluble veggies are better for C than the soluble ones (spinach better than carrots, for example).

How many total is recommended for C and how big a serving portion for each serving?

Thanks for your continual patience with my nonstop questions. I know you all must be sick of me by now. But my C, cramps, and gas aren't getting better and my emotional state is in bad, bad shape I need some relief soon.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best fruits and veggies for C new
      #140388 - 01/20/05 12:41 PM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

I was wondering about this too. I started doing the whole peeling the apples and pears thing a few weeks ago. But now that I am really C, I have decided to forgo that. Although I was really enjoying them more without the skin! No bm though. I had a huge salad last night too, plus a lentil burger trying to get a lot of fiber in. No gas really today, but no bm either. Which ones will really give you a bm?

#140396 - 01/20/05 01:05 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oranges work for me!! Being a C person, I don't peel any of my fruit! I even make a fruit "salsa" by cutting up strawberries, kiwi, oranges, apples, peaches and pears, than I add in a couple of spoons of whatever jelly or jam I have and a little fruit juice, mix it up and chill it for a little while. I take some fat free tortilla's and sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon and bake them just until crisp. Cut the tortilla like a pizza before you bake them and than dip them into the fruit mix-yummy!!!! I serve this at all my parties and everyone loves it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Serving sizes new
      #140404 - 01/20/05 01:17 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I can answer THAT question, anyway!

According to USDA guidelines, a serving of fruits or veggies goes like this:

Vegetables:

1 cup raw leafy greens
1/2 cup any other vegetable, raw or cooked, sliced/chopped/whatever
3/4 cup vegetable juice

Fruits:

1 medium banana, apple, orange
1/2 cup any other fruit, raw or not, chopped/sliced/whatever
3/4 cup fruit juice

Oh, I can answer another question, too - the how many is recommended part. As per Heather's guidelines, you should eat as many as you can tolerate, just eat them with your soluble fiber base. That applies for EVERYONE - C, D, A, whatever. There's no such thing as too many vegetables, in general. You just have to try to eat as many as you can without aggravating your symptoms.

And by the way... for you and everyone else, since I've seen this come up a lot lately... there's not really any such thing as a vegetable that should be categorically avoided for IBS patients. Now, that's not taking into account *personal* intolerances - some people can't handle corn, for example - I can't do mushrooms - etc. It even says on this page, if you scroll down to the "troublesome" list, and actually READ all those paragraphs, Heather says things like: "...they need to be treated with caution but definitely not eliminated from your diet" and "follow the rules for insoluble fiber and eat these foods in smaller quantities incorporated with soluble fiber – but please do eat them." Maybe you'll find there are certain veggies and fruits that you just can't do, but it's important for good overall nutrition that you at least TRY them, and not rely on everyone else's can/can't list.

Ok, climbing off my soapbox now.

Re: Serving sizes new
      #140407 - 01/20/05 01:21 PM
suarez

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: ILLINOIS

I have a question on the serving size.
How much of the rice, potato or pasta is needed when having
a protein (Chicken or fish) and a vegetable?
Should you have 1/2 cup of rice is a cup of rice okay or
is that too much? It is really hard to measure pasta but
rice is pretty easy.

Thanks
Debbie

As much as you like! new
      #140415 - 01/20/05 01:46 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

For the sake of IBS, I don't think there's any such thing as too much soluble fiber. However, you might want to refer to serving sizes on the packages if you're at all concerned about watching your calorie intake.

Augie *DELETED* new
      #140474 - 01/20/05 04:59 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: Serving sizes new
      #140569 - 01/21/05 04:53 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hey there! Just thought I'd share what I've heard: there's something called the eye-ball method for the "right" food proportions. Apparently, a meal should consist of protein the size (and thickness) of your palm, carbohydrates the size of your fist (if rice or pasta; if veggies then two fists). That's all our stomach's need! Hope this makes sense!

Wow!! That sounds so good. Definitely will try it. n/t new
      #140621 - 01/21/05 08:58 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Re: Augie new
      #140706 - 01/21/05 11:52 AM
Augie

I'm Gluten Free so no Raisin Bran for me, but thanks anyways Shelby.

--------------------
~ Beth

Michele, Recipe question new
      #140708 - 01/21/05 11:56 AM
Augie

Do you use the fruit uncooked and unpeeled in this concoction? Also, what type of juice do you use and how much? Maybe I can do unpeeled fresh fruits instead of staying with canned. I'm even afraid of fresh peeled pears or apples. But the canned ain't doing a darn thing for my C, as everyone on the board knows! Me and my C and constant moaning

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Recipe question new
      #140713 - 01/21/05 12:07 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I am also predominantely IBS -c and the gas is what is killing me. Every morning I can barely get out of bed - evean after I finally have a BM I am still cramped up - I guess that is why they call it IBS.

I am trying to eat a dish of canned fruit cocktail every morning and take miralax every evening. I just would like to get rid of the painful gas!!!!!!!!!!!

Augie new
      #140741 - 01/21/05 12:44 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I cannot help to much, but I am technically and A, just more D. When I am C, it has never been for over a week0- and that is rare and not much since the diet.
When I am more C (not having that problem much for hte last couple months), these were meals I would eat:
breakfast- oatmeal (not sure if it is gluten free- but any warm cereal would probably do) with chopped up pears, peeled, put in after I made the cereal, my morning acacia mixed in, a cup of hot chamomile or fennel tea.
Or I would put frozen berries in the oatmeal before I microwaved it (heather mentions this in her recipe Scottish Oatmeal, but it has other things like sugar and such added)
Kix (or whatver cold gluten free dry cereal you eat), with soymilk (or you could use rice or almond), with either sliced up kiwi (peeled) or strawberries sliced small. If I was feeling goofy I would use both Also, my acacia goes in, and I usually would have a glass od water to get it all movin'.
Or I would eat a bagel with microwaved carrots and zucchini, peeled and sliced on top with a smidge of soy cream cheese. Also a glass of water with acacia, and maybe some tea. Mornings are usually rough on me, so I don't get more creative than that.
being more stable, and not having 'c' problems, I lean more 'D' if I eat like that, so in my oatmeal goes applesauce, mango if I want to treat myself.
In my kix goes a banana. Haven't been eating bagels.
Oh, and once the all great Bevrs suggested to me to drink a blueberry smoothie when I couldn't go. it helped me get back on track. i followed the recipe on the Recipe Board for Berry Smoothie ( I think it is called that)

Other veggie comments...
you have to try out a little and see how your body reacts and then adjust accordingly. I haven't had the time to make it usually, but I have made stirfrys with lots of veggies. i just make sure that I don't eat the ones that look too tough, unless my gut is in tip top shape, like bok choy or snowpea pods. I don't get sick from it cause I eat rice (whatever the serving on the package says to make sure I don't overeat by accident). Usually my D would kick in to high gear if I ate that by itself.
I guess the moral of the story is that these things NEED to be eaten! Especially to keep from getting C. And definately for good health. I know you know this, or you wouldn't be asking these questions.
In your case, it seems you have nothing to lose, so just pick something and try it, I say!
Good luck Beth.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Michele, Recipe question new
      #140774 - 01/21/05 02:15 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I do NOT peel any of the fruit. I rub a little lemon juice on the diced up apple so it doesn't turn brown. I typically use grape or strawberry jelly, like one heaping spoon full and around a quarter cup or so (I NEVER measure anything! ) of fruit juice. I typically have Tropicana Twister, either strawberry/kiwi, orange/cranberry or tropical fruit. I use this same juice to mix my morning juice (AKA miralax and acacia) My mother-in-law actually found this recipe in a neat little cookbook. I think at home I have the exact measurements. Like I said, I just wing it!! You can't really wreck it! If you don't like one or two of the fruits, just put more in of another kind! I pretty much stick to whats fresh at the market! I'm pretty sure you live alone, so you may want to just use one small peice of each fruit and a little less juice. It really doesn't keep well for more than a day or two in the fridge!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks Sheri-nt new
      #141385 - 01/22/05 06:48 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#141681 - 01/23/05 06:59 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I'm sorry about your bad state........ I totally understand. I have been a C for years and have suffered just horrible isolation and depression due to the physical symptoms. But to answer your question- as far as what I have found- bananas and mangoes are the only fruits I have no bad reactions too. I would always keep the skin off of your fruits/veggies and cook them. Soft and easy to digest is the best and only way my system can handle it. Do you ever try a day of just soft foods, like pasta all day. I have been amazed how eliminating the foods that should make you go has helped me start moving my bowels. It makes no sense, but somehow it works a little better. I would also absolutley avoid ANYTHING that says bran! No way. If your system is like mine, this is like putting a gun to your head. Just try the best you can to relax, I know how awful it is. One last thing....... I know this defies all rules, but I am a severe C- and on my worst days eating very soft cake like stuff (ho-ho's and ding dongs) absolutely soothes my gut like nothing else. I know it sounds crazy, but the sugar and flour are completely non irritating and my gut has something to grab on to to stimulate some peristalsis. I really hope you feel better soon! If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1565 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2403

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review