All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
gas and bloating in public?
      #140263 - 01/20/05 06:03 AM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

I was wondering what everyone does about daily life/being at school or work and having to let out gas? If I dont let it out, I know I will be really bloated for the rest of the day at least cause it gets trapped inside. I find myself really avoiding people, staying home from school a lot to avoid this. I mean, you can't run to the bathroom just to let out gas!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gas and bloating in public? new
      #140268 - 01/20/05 06:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

When I'm at home, I let it out. I just light lots of incense. My BF laughs but he's a guy and they find that kind of thing funny?!

At work I also let it out but in a quiet area, or as I'm waking somewhere with nobody around (hallway). Or if that's not possible, I do it at my desk and nobody has ever mentionned it. And the man who sits closest to me has a HUGE mouth so he either can't smell or is kind enough to ignore it.

They just HAVE TO BE SILENT or else nobody will ignore them!

#140284 - 01/20/05 07:04 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Look at this. . Personally I have always made sure to have jobs where passing gas is safe. I worked with horses for 10 years and now I read meters. It helps my tummy to stay active and being able to pass gas wherever I want is great. Yet I know that is not possible for most. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#140320 - 01/20/05 09:45 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

This can be difficult and embarrasing! At home, I let'em rip! when my now hubby and I were dating, I explained to him about my tummy and told him I fart, a LOT, and needed to know he was ok with that! Sure, he teases me a little now that we have been together 6 years (married for 5) but its in good, stinky, fun!! We do go through a LOT of incense at home!!

Work can be harder. Luckily, I work alone alot but I also have to deal with patients (I'm an optician) I try to let the gas out when no one is around but if I REALLY need to break wind when I'm with someone and think it may be really stinky, I will excuss myself to the back room! I will try to make an excuse like, I need to check on something or whatever.

Lighting a match right after you fart will take the stink out if you are worried about smell! Something about the sulfur in the match, not really sure but it does work!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#140391 - 01/20/05 12:48 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I suffer with bad gas and bloating and work in an office, in fact, it makes me a bit nervous when the guy who sits behind me is in and this can sometimes make it worse! But...it really is better out than in! I have to let it out otherwise it just builds up and gets worse. Today I'm very bloated, think it was because of the 3 ginger nuts I had with my soya choc pudding! And I've been eating quickly.....but I think be honest about your wind, be it loud and proud or silent but violent!!

#140419 - 01/20/05 01:52 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

Hi,
I just place an order for the "InnerMint". It was either 19.95 for a two month supply if you order one time or 14.95 for a two month supply on the autoship plan. My gas problems are mainly from my Crohns...but it is an issue. It is embarrasing if "they" are loud or stinky. You want to crawl under the desk and not come back out. I had a few co-workers who were very vocal about such things.

I will let you all know how it works!

Anxiously waiting for my shipment.....

Karen

Allison: gas and bloating in public? new
      #140496 - 01/20/05 07:15 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

OMG Allison, welcome to my world!! At the moment I have the worst gas, and it is really on the nose, urrghhh its so embarrassing! Luckily my boyfriend stinks as much as I do, so he can't tease me too much, but its just horrible.

I usually don't have really bad smelling gas so can get away with silent ones in my office. But sometimes what you think are going to be silent actually come out loud! So I usually leave my desk and go to the loo if I have really bad gas. Luckily for me, night time is when my gas is worst, so I just let it out. I'm so thankful that my work day goes by without too many dramas.

I take charcoal tablets and De-gas (which is simithecone) and sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Which is why I try to avoid really gassy veggies - cucumber, onion, cabbage and cauliflower.

Do you try charcoal, Gas-x or fennel tea? You poor thing not being able to go to school for fear of your gas! How are your BMs? I know when my BMs are a bit iffy I'll have extra gas that smells very unpleasant.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#140548 - 01/20/05 10:15 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Quote:

I mean, you can't run to the bathroom just to let out gas!

Want to bet? It's one of the things I have to do sometimes because of natural reflexes.

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#140571 - 01/21/05 05:34 AM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Ha, you must spend a lot of time getting up and down going to the bathroom.
Yeah, I usually try to let them go quietly at school. At home with my husband I jsut let them go too. He is used to it and he burps so much that I think were even.
A big problem was when we were staying at his parents' house for a few days over xmas. I was a little nervous/not completely myself just from not being at home, worrying about what I was eating, etc. Then had to hold em in. I let out a couple really terrible smelling ones but Billy (my husband) always takes the blame!
Thanks for the fruit salsa recipe!

#140575 - 01/21/05 05:45 AM
lydsia

Reged: 01/21/05

hi - im 15 and i have just been diagnosed with IBS - i feel terrible a lot and i have my GCSEs coming up. MY friends like meeting up with me lots at weekends, it is too embarrising to say i have IBS with terrible diarhea so i say i cant make it - i think they are annoyed! What do you eat because i want to handle this right away because i start college soon, i am taking languages and so will be going abroad. Please reply. I get bloating and gassy too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1839 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7212

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review