All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gas free fruit and vegies
      #140221 - 01/19/05 11:44 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Firstly, I'm sorry if this has been discussed time and time before, but I've been struggling to piece together all the old posts. So please noone growl at me for starting another one!

I've decided I should stop eating all fruit and veges under the sun like I have been, and have decided I should start a food diary to see if I can pinpoint what causes my gas & bloat.

I was hoping you could all help me with this by replying with what fruit and veges are a real no no for gas and bloat, and which ones you tolerate well. I know this all works for everyone differently, but just a starting point would be great.

Now based on Heathers IBS diet I know that cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber and onion are no no's but I was recently reading the beano website which said that beetroot, carrot, corn and capsicum are gassy foods too, which I found surprising. It also says that just about all fruits are gassy.

So the question remains, what can I eat!! I've learnt through previous posts that tinned fruit is better then fresh fruit, but does that work for gas?

I'm a little bit sad now as my early posts today were about eating whatever fruit and veges I liked! But now I realise I should stop accepting my bloat and gas and try to eliminate it.

I'm going to try acacia again, starting tonight. It made me horribly bloated last time, but am determined to try just one more time.

Any help you can offer will be really appreciated.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My system re: gas free fruit and vegies new
      #140233 - 01/20/05 02:44 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hey Taylahmai, Sorry to read that your gas and bloating aren't getting any better. I feel that I am SLOWLY managing to figure out how my system works (although I will admit to being surprised many times at how inconsistent things are at times due to stress, period, etc).

Veggies:
yes: steamed broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, fennel, carrots (even raw), eggplant, zucchini
nono: cucumber, onion, too much garlic, cauliflower, salad leaves

Fruits:
yes: most dried fruits (for ex I eat dried papaya after lunch because i've read that papaya is good for the digestion - probably in my head, but works for me), dried apricots, apples, a prune now and then
nono: raw fruit (although I have just peeled and eaten an apple as we speak - feeling it a bit, but hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised!)

I have pulled down my consumption of nuts (I LOVE NUTS) because I always get gas and bloat from too many. I have found dry-roated nuts and my new favorite snack is a mixture of soy nuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Have it in the afternoon and I am ok.

Another tip: I saw in one of Heather's newsletters a link to a yoga magazine which dealt with eating to facilitate digestion. Check out heart of nourishment . Halé Sofia Schatz says that different enzymes are needed for digesting different food classes (main variation: protein vs. grains). I have started following her set-up and (maybe in my head again) I feel that my tummy is struggling less. I think it's worth a try!

I hope this can be a start on your search for your own way. Don't hesitate to ask me questions if you think I can help you more. Fight the bloat!

Love, mary

Re: Gas free fruit and vegies new
      #140289 - 01/20/05 07:20 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Of course Beano will make it sound like as many foods as possible produce gas. Certainly some do, but a healthy gut can handle it and so the focus should be a healthy gut and not the immediate chance of gas. Basically all food will cause gas if the tummy is in a "state" as my mother-in-law says.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Marymary :) PS Augie you might like to read this too :) new
      #140535 - 01/20/05 08:29 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Marymary! Long time no talk Well yes my gas and bloat were doing very well before xmas, were up and down over xmas but in general I was pretty impressed that I wasn't carrying around my basketball belly the whole time, despite indulging in some yummy food and drink! This year I've been so so, but have been eating a few things I shouldn't (like wine and chocolate).

I sent some earlier posts about eating whatever fruit and veg I like and being very happy about that, so I think I've confused some people with this post, and feel really awful about that. I guess the truth is that somedays I think bugger it, I'm going to live my life and eat what I like and put up with a bit of gas and bloat. Other days I think I should be doing more about stabilising. Urghh so frusturating!

Thanx for the list of veggies that work for you. You sound similar to me, I try to avoid all those in your no no list anyway. Sometimes I think we just need reassurance we're on the right track.

Yoga sounds interesting, I used to do it when I didn't realise I had IBS, so perhaps should take it up again. I'm also going to start bodycombat and bodypump classes again (do they have them in switzerland?) as I've heard sit ups are great for bloated tummies.

Anyway great to hear from you Am going to make a concerted effort to 'fight the bloat' over the next couple of weeks so will let you know how I go.

Luv T xxx

--------------------

Little Minnie new
      #140536 - 01/20/05 08:31 PM
Taylahmai

I've said this in a previous post and I'll say it again. Thank you Little Minnie for posting the big picture! Its not about individual foods, its about your whole system and getting stabilised.

I'd lost sight of that. The light is well and truly back on in the tunnel

--------------------

Taylahmai! new
      #140567 - 01/21/05 04:47 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hey there! Yes, reading your posts I recognize myself. We are very similar (wine and dark chocolate are my passion and I refuse to give them up!).

I haven't heard of bodycombat, but I think I may have done bodypump a few times when I went to the gym (aerobics type thing?). I can tell you that yoga has made all the difference for me. I think you're right in that sit-ups help the body process the bloat, but I think that there are quite a few poses in yoga that have the same effect. I can honestly tell you (NO bragging) that my abs have never been more muscular (I do morning exercises, swim for 10 mins and yoga a few times a week) and I am wondering whether this hasn't helped fight my bloating (can control my abdominal better)? This would support your sit-ups-helping-theory!

Again, I think my worst dilemma is over-eating at meals. I know that I should eat small portions and I can feel it as soon as I feel "too" full - my tummy just can't work that fast!

Please keep in touch and let me know how things are working out for you (and I'll let you know if mine is consistent...I just wish I would be BLOAT & GAS FREE!). Feel free to email me at my private address as well: mariabirgitta@yahoo.se

Love, mary

Re: Taylahmai! new
      #141715 - 01/23/05 08:36 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It is now 10:33 pm on Sunday night in Illinois USA!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Augie
      #141716 - 01/23/05 08:41 PM
Taylahmai

Ahhhh, well my messageboard clock says 8.33pm. That makes a little more sense. I just thought you were always early to bed Well its 12.40pm on Monday in WA. Goodness me, we are worlds apart aren't we!

--------------------

LOL new
      #141718 - 01/23/05 08:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Actually 10:30 is late for me, I usually try and go to bed at 10. The message board time is not always accurate. When I would see casey's posting at 3:30am I thought she was up in the middle of the night! Finally figured the time posted was two hours behind from my time!

Yes, we are like 12 hours difference. As I am going to sleep, you are eating lunch! Only the internet can bring our worlds together. And boy am I glad for that.

Good night, or afternoon , sweetie!

PS how's the eating to reduce bloat and gas going? What are you doing differently? I'm going to sleep now, so will check back later. It's now almost 11 pm and I am not going to want to get up at 6:30 on a Monday!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: LOL new
      #141720 - 01/23/05 08:59 PM
Taylahmai

Well yep 10.30pm is pretty late for me too, so now I understand! I guess the clock can't be accurate for everyone. Indeed, thank goodness for the internet, its pretty amazing being able to chat to people from all over the world. Where would I be without my IBS buddies

Have a good sleep I'm off to have lunch...... nothing too exciting today but still pretty yummy. Brown rice, carrot and zucchini in a tomato sauce. Am playing it safe at the moment till I get this damn bloat to BUGGER OFF!!

Have you tried brown rice yet? I tried acacia over the weekend and I wonder if thats why the bloat is back with a vengence. Only took a 1/4 tsp for two days, thats crazy!!

Oh when life was so simple.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4048 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review