All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
constant hunger
      #140007 - 01/19/05 01:07 PM
cynergy

Reged: 01/19/05

Prior to beginning the IBS diet, I had a relatively healthy diet, but ate a lot of meat and fat, Taco Bell for lunch, etc. I am relatively slim (5'6" 138lbs). I stayed away from lots of starch, and ate a lot of soy and meat protein (NOT Atkins) and huge salads, and other veggies. It made me satisfied so I could last to the next meal.
Now, on the diet, I feel so hungry and deprived all the time! It is making me crabby, and sad. I have also started eating really fast because of my hunger... I normally eat about twice as slowly as others.
How do I satiate my hunger on this diet which is so low fat? I simply cannot eat all the time at work, and pretzels are getting really boring. Can we eat Luna bars? This reminds me of when I tried being vegetarian in my 20s, but I could not do it because I was so hungry all the time!

PLEASE HELP!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: constant hunger new
      #140013 - 01/19/05 01:12 PM
suarez

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: ILLINOIS

I have the same question. I thought it was just me because
I was starting a new way of eating. I always ate a balanced diet but started having a lot of pain and gas.
So, I am looking for an answer on this one too. I also
worry about gaining weight because I am trying to loose about 15 pounds.

#140040 - 01/19/05 01:34 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

luna bars and lean meats are good- I eat a lot fo them.. oen of my favorite tricks is the fresh turkey jerkey I get locally.. YUMMY! and low fat as well as low calorie.. you can feel full on this diet and still eat plenty and not gain weight if your careful about your choices- shy away from a ton of the sweet treats- high calorie and instead aim for healthy combinations... good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#140054 - 01/19/05 01:50 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

The nice thing about this diet is we get to eat as much soluble fiber as we want. It helps you feel full. ALso, try including IBS safe proteins in with your meals to help you stay full longer. You should NOT feel deprived or hungry. That's no way to feel. Try including as many fruits and veggies as you can. SAlads are fine if you can tolerate them. just try to include a soluble fiber like a bun with it. Try a glass of soy milk with a snack between meals to help tide you over. I hope these few suggestions help.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#140237 - 01/20/05 03:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you haven't been on the diet for long yet AND you were having a pretty high fat diet before, then your body will take a little while to adjust. So it should get loads better soon.

Remember that it's LOW-fat not no-fat and eat plenty of protein - chicken, fish, etc. You can also get soy protein powder to add to drinks, etc which can help if you need to gain weight.

You should be eating at least every couple of hours anyway to keep food in your intestine track. Luna bars are fine - do a search on them and you'll find lots of info. There's a post at the top of the first page of this board with suggestions for snacks. I eat cereal bars, soy desserts, sandwiches, rice cakes, toast....loads of snacky stuff.

You can still eat lots of veggies, just make sure you do so safely.

MAKE youself eat slowly, please. It is so important. If I find myself eating too fast I make myself count to ten chewing before I swallow each mouthful.

Good luck.

#140844 - 01/21/05 11:10 PM
cynergy

First I want to say thank you to all that have responded to my post. I really am feeling desperate and lonely in this problem here, and I feel that the way I'm eating is making me kind of cookoo.

I don't feel full eating low fat starches and cooked vegetables!!! I can eat and eat and eat, and never feel full. I need protein and fat to feel full. In addition, with all these starches, which are actually sugars, I am on a sugar high all the time! It is very ungrounding for me, makes me really spaced out, and hard to concentrate. Something is very wrong, and I am getting depressed about the whole thing. My understanding is that fruits are not good to snack on unless it is peeled apples (which don't satisfy me) or bananas, which are better, but I have never really enjoyed eating them. Dried mangoes are OK, but they are chock full of sugar! My teeth are dirty all the time from all the starches and sugars.

I never ate a high fat diet, just more fat than this diet entails. And I certainly never snacked exclusively on starches. I have never had to be on any kind of diet in my life, and I don't think it is healthy at all for my body or my mind to feel deprived like this. I don't think it is healthy for me to be this food obsessed.

HOW DO I EAT FAT SAFELY? I really can't tell if a food is bad for me or not because my symptom is mostly constipation, and not diarrhea, so any ill effects are not noticed for days, and then I have no idea what food it is that caused the problem; therefore, I am loathe to experiment because I don't want to be constipated for days like I have been in the past.

#140860 - 01/22/05 03:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

eat plenty of LEAN MEATS and fishes!!!! one of my favorite snacks besides the high protein content of luna bars (yes they have protein fromt eh soy) is MSG free turkey jerky- there is a place in a nearby town that makes it fresh and its OH so good! we all need protein and someof us more so then others... you need to have a balance- not just the veggies and carbs.... I personally use a lot of bean proteins as well- hummus, mashed beans, etc.. good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#140868 - 01/22/05 04:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can actually get more of a sugar high from fruit (which contaion fructose) than long-chain starches like you get in rice and pasta.

Although it's easy, there is no need to eat lots of sugary foods on this diet. If you stick to long-chain carbs and len protein, you should do better. Eat more protein!

#140874 - 01/22/05 06:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here is a link on how to eat safely. It gives you the triggers and how to eat your meals. web page
If you feel that you need more protein to feel full, then go for it. Include snacks with peanut butter, a small handful of nuts if you can tolerate them, cold meats, fish, seafood, turkey and chicken breast, soy, tofu and any other proteins that you like and are safe. Personally, I feel very full and satisfied with the soluble fibre and vegetables, but everyone is different. For the time being, give yourself lots of protein at every meal and snack and avoid the fat. You may find later that you can tolerate more fats. Everyone is different - you'll just have to figure out what you can handle. There is no magic solution. Same thing for trying to find the right balance of soluble and insoluble fiber foods. It takes time, and patience. Good luck.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#140928 - 01/22/05 09:05 AM
cynergy

OK, thanks again for the suggestions. Another reason I never made a good vegetarian is because I am allergic to nuts, so no snacking on nuts or peanut butter. And, I guess it is a good thing that I am not eating that much fruit because you say that I would get even more of a heady high from the fruit. All the starch is enough to make my head spin! I have to kinda choke it down, I was never one to love bread and starch...but I was so hungry the other night I ate half a loaf of Italian bread while cooking in the kitchen...very strange for me, and then ate a full dinner!
I guess I just have to accept that there is no good answer. At this point, since there is no advice on how to eat more fat safely, I guess I will just put a goodly amount of soy margarine on all the starches I eat and see how it goes, mix the fat liberally with the starches. And then find lots of ways to make snacks out of tofu and soybeans. Tofu jerky? just kidding....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2033

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review