Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Do I really have IBS?
      #1400 - 02/25/03 08:17 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I was diagnosis with IBS and GERD about a year ago and only have gotten serious about diet changes since late Fall.
My pain is all upper middle and left side. When I get an attack I can not move and breathing is painful. Fortunately with diet changes the attacks are less ferquent and medication does help.
I have done a lot of reading about IBS, but it seems to me people mostly suffer pain in the lower stomach and not upper like me. I asked my Gastro. about it and he explained IBS can occur in the upper stomach, but it is unusal. What do you all think about his answer? I know GERD can cause the pain, but I'm Nexium to keep Gastiris from recurring.
I have had every test imaginable done. I do have a history of Pancreatitis and everytime I am in Pain I have to go in for blood work; however, the pain isn't always caused by my Pancreous. Celiac Disease has been ruled out, but whole wheat does cause stomach pain and I become physcially exhausted.
Any opinions and advice will be appreciated!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do I really have IBS? new
      #1413 - 02/25/03 10:25 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I assume they have checked you for gallbladder? One of my best friends back home recently had a lot of the same issues you are describing and it turned out to be that. Otherwise, I don't know, my pains can range from what feels like the very beginning of my stomach all the way DOWN, when I'm really in a spell. Hope you get some relief!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#1424 - 02/25/03 01:10 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

BarbaraS - what about gall bladder? When mine was acting up, the pain was right in the middle of my chest--mid breast and I couldn't move or breathe very easily either. They can tell with an ultrasound if there's any gall stones. Have they ruled stones out? Just tossing this out. BTW, I had to have my GB out--it had hundreds of stones in it. the Doc said he never saw one w/so many!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1445 - 02/26/03 08:25 AM
BarbaraS

Yes, my Gall bladder has been check. My scan showed everything is normal, but I have never been checked during an attack.
By the way sharonmello where do you get your great recipes?

#1447 - 02/26/03 08:43 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Barbara - I'm so old that my collection is vast! As long as I can remember, I've always been a recipe clipper. And being on WW, they have great recipe books too. And, when my mom died in 2001, I inherited her stash and I haven't even started going thru hers yet!

My bread machine books are great too. In fact, I'm making Baked Potato Bread today for dinner w/company tonight. And I made the Pumpkin Spice Cake this morning already.

If you need any recipes, I'm your man.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1522 - 02/26/03 06:07 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

I have found (the hard way) that high fat foods bother me higher up in the digestive tract - my doctor thought it was my gall bladder but it wasn't. Everything else waits until it is in my lower GI to cause problems. Do you notice that different foods influence where they bother you?

#1624 - 02/28/03 07:17 AM
BarbaraS

Thanks for the idea Andie. I will keep a closer watch on which foods bother my upper GI and lower GI.
Barbara S.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2182

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review