All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Miralax
      #139667 - 01/18/05 01:09 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you all worry about this medication causing a depencency? I'm afraid if I start using miralax, my body won't be able to go without it and I'll need to be on it forever and that's a long time! Plus, it is expensive and don't know if I could afford it for the next 40 years or more!

I would eventually like to be able to manage this without meds and just an SFS and/or diet. Am I getting into a dependency issue if I start the miralax?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Miralax new
      #139668 - 01/18/05 01:10 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi Beth, what's Miralax? For gas?

#139671 - 01/18/05 01:12 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I have begun taking miralax twice a day for my severe constipation. I am hoping it does the trick - it does get quite expensive but if it makes me feel better!! I think it should cause less gas pains than benefiber - which is what I was on before - with not too much luck!!! Let me know if miralax works for anyone

#139682 - 01/18/05 01:28 PM
Augie

It's for constipation. I don't know if it's exactly a laxative or if the body becomes dependant on it like OTC laxatives. But it's for C, and can actually cause more gas!

You don't need this one, Tina!

--------------------
~ Beth

#139699 - 01/18/05 02:02 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

My Gi started me on Miralax after diagnosing me with IBS. I took it for three days before I had a bm. I followed his instructions, two caps full twice daily.

I began to have considerable pain and gas. I called my doc up and he stated "it will go away, cut down to one cap full before bed". Once again, I did as he requested and could not go at all!!!

I then began to take Heather's diet seriously. I have my SFS first thing in the morning. A safe breakfast, peppermint caps, a safe lunch and dinner and fruits and veggies throughout the day.

I now have a bm daily and the Miralax is sitting in a drawer at my office.

This is not to say it will not work for you, but it did not help me very well.

Good luck

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Beth! new
      #139702 - 01/18/05 02:06 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is a possibility, more like a probability, of dependence on mirilax... but that's the risk that some of us are willing to take. Honestly, for me, I just got to a point when I asked myself... "What's worse? Being dependent on something that's not harmful if used for long periods of time, or being so C that I can't stand it?" It's a choice you make!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Rachel new
      #139713 - 01/18/05 02:50 PM
Augie

Thanks. It's a little reassuring to know that others have chosen this route and feel that it has been a good decision for them.

Do you still take an SFS with Miralax too? Do you know if it is something that will need to be used "forever"? And that there is a possibilty that I just might not become dependent on it?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Rachel new
      #139729 - 01/18/05 03:34 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I gave up on Benefiber but have put in an order for the Acacia. I don't know if it will work, but I'm willing to give it a try. Michele has been taking both the Mirilax and Acacia and has had success.

I probably will have to take the Mirilax forever, but that's something I'm willing to do if it means that I'll remain regular.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#139732 - 01/18/05 03:40 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh, definitely not!!!

Thanks.

#139738 - 01/18/05 03:46 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

Do you still take an SFS with Miralax too?

Yes, I take both. My GI has me taking the Miralax every other day. It does take a couple days for it to work. Make sure that you are drinking lots of water...

#139769 - 01/18/05 04:46 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

I was just prescribed Miralax last week by my new GI Doc. Two times daily - but I told her I was not getting formed bm's...mostly D..so we cut it down to once daily. She also told me to stop the acacia. I have had LESS gas and bloating than with the acacia..so, that makes my family MUCH happier.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#139816 - 01/19/05 01:02 AM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

This isn't an answer--just one more question to add to the mix. (!)

I took Miralax for over six months, and somewhere along the line it gave me horrid cramps that made me beg for mercy. I decreased the dose, but then it didn't work. So I stopped taking it. And wouldn't you know: much of the nausea I'd had for MONTHS went away?

I wonder why you guys can handle it and I simply could not.

--salsagal (everything gives me cramps!)

#139885 - 01/19/05 09:12 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

This isn't an answer--just one more question to add to the mix. (!)

I took Miralax for over six months, and somewhere along the line it gave me horrid cramps that made me beg for mercy. I decreased the dose, but then it didn't work. So I stopped taking it. And wouldn't you know: much of the nausea I'd had for MONTHS went away?

I wonder why you guys can handle it and I simply could not.

--salsagal (everything gives me cramps!)

Yeah, Miralax gave me attacks, even when i tried to take a small amount it just didn't agree with me. Which sucked cause I had bought 2 huge bottles of it! Anyway, I think most people tend to tolerate it ok.

--------------------
IBS-C

#139895 - 01/19/05 10:02 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, I've been on miralax for about 4-5 years now and it has given me back my life!!! I was miserable for YEARS before I started taking it. It got to the point that I was having to take over the counter laxatives just to pop once every couple of weeks!

Miralax is an osmotic laxative. It works by pulling water into your colon. It does not contain harsh, stimulate chemicals like the otc laxatives do! It CAN produce a bit more gas AT FIRST, this went away within 2-3 weeks for me. It did take about a week before I started going regulary. It does cause me some D once in a while, but as long as things are moving, I'm a happy camper!

It is fine to take long term. It is not absorbed into the body and you do not build up a tolerance to it, as most people do with Zelnorm. It is even safe to take while pregnant! They have now, just recently, came out with a generic that I believe is less than $30 a bottle, thats about a dollar a day! Luckily, I have insurance but even if I didn't, I would come up with the money! I do also take Heathers Acacia, I mix a spoon of Acacia right in with my morning miralax!

You can adjust your dose as needed. I always take mine first thing in the am, BEFORE I eat. 95% of the time, I pop right after breakfast!!! If I do get backed up, than I will add in a second dose at night for a day or two until I don't feel C anymore.

I know the thought of having to take a medication "forever" sounds scary but if it improves your quality of life, why wouldn't you? People with heart problems, high chlosterol and blood pressure and diabetics take medication "forever." IBS is not life threatening as some of those conditions are but its still very serious and can make us very miserable. If there is something that can help, why not do it? I agree, it shouldn't be the first treatment you try but if nothing else is working, than why not? I guess its a personal choice you have to make. For me, it wasn't even a choice because my life was so miserable without it, I choose to feel better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#139943 - 01/19/05 11:37 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I took Miralax just about every day for a few years & it was wonderful!!! Last year, I had strange boughts of D & C (whether or not I took Miralax) which was weird because I've always had chronic C. So I stopped the Miralax & ended up getting so C. My GI doctor asked me to try Zelnorm, which I did for a few months. Recently I got horribly C while on vacation & taking Zelnorm, so I switched back to Miralax. I've been doing very well on it for the past 2 weeks. It took about 4 days before I started having a bm. But now I have one pretty much every day.

My GI doc told me that Miralax does not cause dependency. But honestly, as long as it doesn't hurt me, I'll take something to help my C. I know my body-- I MUST take something or I get all bound up. If the Miralax gives me trouble, I'll go back to Zelnorm.

Oh-- I haven't been taking much SFS since starting the Miralax & have been doing well. (But I do eat lots of fruits & veggies).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1015 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review