All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Question about cheating new
      #139137 - 01/16/05 04:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm with a lot of other people here. I cheat once in a while on small things, but there are certain things that I just KNOW would be asking for an attack and those things I don't eat... ever. For example, I'm okay with occasional small amounts of milk chocolate, one glass of wine with a meal, higher fat cookies, etc. But I don't even touch ice cream, alfredo sauce, pizza, etc. because it just isn't worth it to me. I think the main thing is learning what your body tolerates and what bothers you and go from there!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about cheating new
      #139212 - 01/17/05 02:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There are LOADS of things you can try without straying onto the bad stuff list! SO don't make your diet boring. I love experiementing with food...and as long as I follow Heather's guidelines, I almost always do okay. The occasional bit of indigestion makes up for all the yummy food I eat! Experiment! Even if it only means cooking something new out of Eating for IBS. Mmmm...all that yummy food.

Having said that, I do cheat sometimes too (but that's a separate issue). Alcohol and pizza are my baddies. I'm lucky in that I'm not very sensitive to fat, but that does mean I push the boundaries more than I should.

I third it. Good post LS! -nt- new
      #139213 - 01/17/05 02:49 AM
Linz

Cara-salmon new
      #139214 - 01/17/05 02:54 AM
Linz

Sweetie, salmon's not that fatty! It's only fattier compared to some other FISH - like saying that avocado is a high fat food, when it's only high fat compared to other veggies. Are you SURE it wasn't because it was cooked with oil/butter or served with bad stuff? Salmon and other so-called "fatty" fish are REALLY good for you as they contain good fats (omega oils) which you really need to stay healthy.

Does anyone else have a problem with this? Ideas anyone?

Re: Cara-salmon new
      #139239 - 01/17/05 06:58 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Sorry Linz! That is what I meant - it IS one of the fattier fishes, along with swordfish. Believe me I did NOT cook with butter or oil! I am very anal about that stuff...I just broil it with salt and pepper usually!

I tried it 3 times, sick every time....so I won't eat it again. I LOVE it, but it's not worth it. Maybe I'll try again in a year or so....

--------------------
~Cara~

Bump for Augie!!! new
      #139469 - 01/18/05 03:04 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

--------------------
Natalie

Another bump for Augie....let me know if you get it n/t new
      #139828 - 01/19/05 05:12 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

--------------------
Natalie

Ok. Wow, you're sensitive! - nt new
      #139846 - 01/19/05 06:46 AM
Linz

My dear Natalie new
      #140173 - 01/19/05 07:24 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thank you for your input on what has become an ongoing saga--my constant chronic problems with IBS and trying to become stable, and trying to figure out which course of action to take!

I too used to be a chronic D for years--going 7 to 10 times a day. Not fun either. Both C and D suck!

For one thing, I don't get immediate reactions to food like you did with the oatmeal which makes it more difficult to pinpoint triggers. I feel bloated and gassier as the day goes on and it doesn't really matter what I've eaten. I could be eating something "bad" for me and not feel the effects for a few days. I think most C people have more delayed reactions where D have more immediate reactions.

I've tried the straight soluble diet for about a week, then added in an insoluble at a time because I was so C. I didn't feel differently when I was straight soluble or when I started adding in insolubles. I felt gassy, bloated and constipated with both diets.

As far as listening to my body, I don't think it's talking to me! I think I'm listening, but I don't hear anything.

I will be starting miralax soon, I think. And I think I will call the hypnotherapist I went to once, but stopped because it was so expensive, tomorrow! And whatever it cost, I will get on a savings plan with him and pay it off slowly. I thought about buying the tapes (cheaper) but I think I need a counselor as well. Someone to talk me through the fears and anxieties. The tapes sure would save me money and money is major major major stress for me. I am barely making it now.

Please email me anytime. Maybe it's different for D and C people. It seems like this diet works better for D people because C people seem to need more meds(miralax, zelnorm, colace) and it seems that too much solubles cause more constipation.

Thanks for your support Natalie, and for bumping this a couple times so that I finally found you!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Abby new
      #140182 - 01/19/05 07:56 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Abby, you've had a lot of responses already, but I thought I'd share a few ideas of my own. I've found its so important that I include lots of fruit and veges in my diet otherwise I get C with a vengence. Perhaps my symptoms are milder then others, I don't know, but I don't seem to react badly to any fruit or vege. I have constant bloating and gas problems but these aren't made any better or worse by the type of fruit or vege I eat.

For me its important that I have variety in my diet, because I am passionate about food and to be stuck with a rigid, monotonous diet would be the end of me. Perhaps I put up with more bloating and gas then I should, but its a small price for me to pay to have a variety of fruit and veg in my diet.

But aside from fruit and veg, I am restricted with the other foods I eat. I have no red meat, no wheat based foods (used to be gluten free but am experimenting with spelt flour which is wheat but not gluten free), no dairy, no soy and no caffiene. I'm meant to be alcohol and chocolate free too, but they're my vices!

There's nothing I love more then eating out at restaurants so I often bare the consequences of overindulging when I go out. But as I said before, a bit of gas and bloating is worth the torment if it means I can have a relatively 'normal' life.

To cut a long story short (sorry if I've been rambling) I do cheat and I probably cheat more often then I should, but when I was on a rigid diet my life was horrible. I've found out what I can cheat more safely with and what I definately can't. I CANNOT eat wheat based foods, but I can tolerate some cheese, chocolate and wine. If I keep these foods as a treat it makes my life (and my boyfriends life!) so much more enjoyable.

The important thing to remember is do not let IBS control your life. Control the IBS and live your life to the full.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2729 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review