All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Question about cheating
      #138412 - 01/14/05 09:44 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was wondering how often - if at all - everyone cheats on the diet? I mean from something as small as a bite of chocolate cake to something like a full icecream sundae. Im asking this because I am terrified to eat ANYTHING that Ive seen people on the boards post about having an attack from - and after being on here for close to a year that really adds up. I used to try different things every once in awhile - but now Im to the point where I eat the EXACT same thing every single day and its been this way for a very long time. I eat toast and a banana for breakfast, a turkey burger with baked lays and rice noodles at lunch and chicken and rice or potatoes for dinner. The only other thing I eat is angel food cake and cereal here and there. I know this is not good for me at all but Im too scared to try anything else. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about cheating new
      #138426 - 01/14/05 10:29 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I am the exact same way- My breakfast every day is oatmeal. Lunch is aturkey breast sandwich or tunafish, snacks are graham crackers, genisoy soy crisps, applesauce, supper is chicken, fish (haddock) carrots, potatoes. I recently (within the last 3 days) have tried to expand somewhat- I started eating peas, & red beets. Last night I made the berrie smoothie and that was good- except I felt VERY Full as I had it about an hour after supper and I was full as it was because I didn't have a bm alllll dayyyyyy. But just so you know- I am the same way I am so afraid to try new things--- I get confused on understanding how I know if something didn't "agree" with me.. I know they say only experiment with one new food a t a time- that way it is easier to pinpoint what bothered you-

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#138432 - 01/14/05 10:37 AM
abby82

Well Im glad to hear that there is someone out there like me! So the berry smoothie didnt cause an attack? Ive always wanted to try one of those but my body hasnt had hardly any fruit or soymilk in a LONG time so I thought it would be awful to do! Thats how I am with anything - I figure that since my body isnt used to ANYTHING else that no matter what it is that I try is going to cause an attack.

Exactly the same.... new
      #138438 - 01/14/05 10:50 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Im the same, eat pretty similar things, if I indulge and then have an attack...its like I never wana try it again. The list of things that I wont eat is endless...even if it wasnt maybe that that caused the attack. Im too scared too! If people mention things...just like when I started heathers diet...then yea, thats it Im just too terrified to even go there!!

--------------------
Natalie

#138439 - 01/14/05 10:55 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Depends on your definition of cheating! I do eat raw fruit a couple of times a day, but then I'm C-predominant. I also eat whole-wheat bread, for the same reason.

Now if you're talking about real cheats like a slice of pizza or more than just a nibble of chocolate, I try to keep those down to twice a week or less. If I do it more than that, I'm sure to feel crappy, even if I don't progress to a full attack.

I think I've gotten more resilient with trigger foods by doing the hypno program. I used to give myself attacks just by worrying about what I had just eaten, but hypno has really helped break that cycle. Remember that anxiety is just as much of a trigger as fat!

--AC

#138447 - 01/14/05 11:05 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Nope the berrie smoothie was fine- But one thing- it is made with ice, so I let it sit for a little while to bring it down to room temperature. When you ask if it brought on an attack- that word I use very loosely, I have cramps NO MATTER what I eat- even the "good foods". If I eat things I am not supossed to well then that is terrible pain--- I felt like I normally did after having the berrie smoothie- Suggestion-- Why not make the smoothie and instead of drinking the whole glass why not just try drinking half of it and seeing how you react to it- If you're okay then step up to a little more.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Regarding cheating new
      #138470 - 01/14/05 11:57 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do moderate and controlled cheating which really prevents big cheating. The last time I cheated was Sept 5 or so and I got bad for weeks (although it might have been stress). However doesn't Heather say when you are doing ok I little bite of dessert is okay after dinner? This is the sort of cheating I do. Like last week I had 2 bites of pumpkin cake after eating safe food or if we go out to eat I will have 2 bites of hub's dessert. I try to still stay away from dairy and high fat together for my tiny treats and I only have a treat very rarely. The problem is when I am in a bad streak I still want to cheat those little things and I had better not. I will also bake or cook something for others and try one bite to test taste it. These sort of things to me are absolute necessities. If I could never ever have a nibble of anything but the basics I had rather not live. But like I said I do it very rarely and very moderately.

As for your diet, it is probably better to play it safe until YOU FEEL it is time to break out of the rut. On the other hand maybe trying other safe food for lunch and dinner that is pretty close but not exact to what you are eating would be good. I guess in the long run you could get vitamin and iron deficient if you don't widen out your diet. You really ought to try some fruits and veg for your health. But do it gradually so you don't stress out about it. Maybe try some of Heather's breads and stuff instead of angel food cake. For instance pumpkin or zucchini bread will give you more nutrition. Also try other root vegetables instead of potatoes (which have little nutrition) since they won't be any harder to tolerate. Ok those are some ideas. Best of luck to you!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#138475 - 01/14/05 12:11 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

I understand your concerns about cheating. I've been very bad with cheating and have suffered the price. I take bentyle which really helps me tollerate insoluble fiber foods and even dairy. I do love the recipes from the index. They are great, but you can modify them to meet your own needs. Give some of the recipes a try. Just remember to take a soluble fiber supplement before eating.
Good Luck,

Cloudygirl

#138477 - 01/14/05 12:18 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

Cheating could be interpretated different ways. I usually try not to really chat ever, like an ice cream sundae or pizza - no way...ever...it's not worth it to me. However, if I'm craving sweets or something that wouldn't be good for me, I try to have RKT or something that I can make that would be considered safe...then I feel like I kind of cheated, but still feel ok.

#138480 - 01/14/05 12:22 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

How long have you been taking Bentyl?? I took it for about 1.5 years and the first year was great...it helped so much and now it does nothing for me. So my GI took me off of it and I haven't noticed too much difference. I was hoping that maybe I could take it up again after my body wears off the immunity to it or whatever it is that it doesn't work anymore!

#138496 - 01/14/05 12:56 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Ok you are exactly describing me. I'm terrified of new things. I hate change....
I eat the same thing EVERY day pretty much! Dinner varies between the recipes in Heather's book...but breakfast and lunch are always the same....I watch a few little kids in the neighborhood a couple days a week, and everyday at lunch they ask what I'm having. After about 3 days there was a 2 year old saying, 'you eat the same thing, you cant eat the same thing all the time'.

I'm a wuss, I'm just so scared of feeling like crap.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: You guys are speaking my language new
      #138527 - 01/14/05 02:26 PM
abcsmom

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Minnesota

I just recently started browsing these boards, and this is my first time posting. This is exactly what's happening to me. I had a couple of bad weeks and not I've gone to a complete soluble fiber diet. I throw in some insoluble fiber here and there, but very little. Now I think I've completely screwed my body up. Anytime I eat anything with a little fat in it, I'm running for the bathroom. I'm starting to worry because it seems that I can't eat any fat at all, even something with a few grams. This is crazy! So I eat white rice, oatmeal, and Honeycomb cereal and drink water and peppermint tea. I shouldn't complain, the weight is dropping like crazy, but I think I'm doing myself more harm than good. In fact, my doctor told me yesterday that I should just continue what I'm doing because it's good for my weight. Yep, she seems well-informed, huh. I think I've run out of things to mix-in with my white rice. I guess I need to slowly add some low-fat items back into my diet in the hopes that my body will get used to it again. Any tips?

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I have such a great time reading them.

#138553 - 01/14/05 03:06 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I used to cheat when I first started changing my diet for IBS (over a yr ago, not w/ Heather's diet but similar) but now I do very rarely since I feel so much better if I don't and, like you, I'm scared!! I totally identify with you since I'm always afraid to try new things since I fear they will trigger an attack too! I am especially afraid of restaurants, and recently on vacation I practically lived on rice cakes because I was so afraid to eat out!! I was even afraid to try some of Heather's recipes, but I have been successful with them and felt okay (yay!). So try to incorporate maybe just one new food or one new recipe into your regular staples and see if that works. It's hard, though, I know exactly what you mean about fearing the unknown! I don't have the answers either, I am still more afraid than not!

--------------------
~Angela

#138558 - 01/14/05 03:19 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Abby and everybody else,

You HAVE to get more variety in your diet for the sake of your long-term health. I repeat, YOU HAVE TO get more variety in your diet. I understand your fears, but as a friend of mine says, "Face the fear and do it anyway."

I would strongly suggest that each of you pick one new food to add to your diet this week, and just eat one serving of it. Then watch how you feel. And I'm not talking something extreme like a hot fudge sundae or a steak and french fried onion rings, I'm talking a new veggie, like sweet potato or peas, or one of Heather's sweet breads for breakfast instead of toast, or a soy milk and banana smoothie instead of just a banana.

Then next week eat that food again, plus another new one. Set yourselves goals and push yourselves through the fear and just do it. That's not cheating, that's eating a healthy well rounded diet.

Okay? And I want to see you post about what you've tried, so that others can try them too.

Yes, I have a bite of chocolate cake, but I also have broccoli. Yes, I have a little cheese but I also have whole wheat toast. C'mon ladies, you can do it!! I've been stable for a year, and I eat much more variety than any of you have described.

If you have any specific questions about how to eat something safely just ask. But don't let fear rule your life. Have FAITH, Heather's diet works. You don't have to eat the same five foods everyday. Trust me. Okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#138563 - 01/14/05 03:32 PM
abby82

Thanks for all the replies - I know that I definitely need to try new things and I want to very badly! It just seems like everytime I do - it ends up bad =( Like last week instead of rice I had mashed potatoes (with NOTHING in them) and I was sick all the next day. A lot of the time I think that its because I worry soooo much after eating something different. Its like I just sit there for hours waiting for an attack to begin. Ive tried adding things like peas and carrots before too and I never dare eat more than like 5 peas and 2 little carrot bites! I seriously think that 75% of my IBS is from me stressing and worrying so much. Before I got on the boards (and dont get me wrong I LOVE the Boards and they have helped me a ton) I used to eat a donut here and there, salad, cheese, and lots more and it never really bothered my stomach as long as it wasnt too much of it. But now that I know what causes attacks and whats on the "BAD" list I avoid EVERYTHING! Its like an obsession =( Anyways My goal is to add more variety but Ill let everyone know how it goes! For those of you that eat the same thing everyday - do you mind telling us what exactly it is?? Maybe we can all swap foods around =)

I second LS's post! Variety! -nt- new
      #138596 - 01/14/05 04:31 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#138603 - 01/14/05 04:58 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Hi Abby, it broke my heart to read your post and recognize myself 1 year ago. I once weighed 106, I now am battling to stay at 88 lbs. I wish to God I had know of the things Heather has given us before I got sick. I instead did exactly what you and others here have felt we had no choice to do. We limited our intake and cut to only a few safe foods and fear ruled the rest. I have to take meds now because the idea of eating those foods scares the begeebers out of me. It's going to be a fight for my life right now. And I was under the care of some of the best GI and physcians. They couldn't stop this fear I had, Finding this site may save my life. I encourage you to follow the advice of Laura and Heather and pick one or two new items and get them worked into your GOOD list. Take care of yourself, and deal with the fear like an old friend that suddenly wants to take over your life and drive you out. Deal with the fear first and embrace the anixiety and you will be surprised at how quickly the fear of an attack will go away. Best Wishes...

#138610 - 01/14/05 05:17 PM
Cara4503

I eat cream of rice for breakfast, and a banana. Sometimes around 10:00 I make a smoothie - banana, strawberries, vanilla soy milk, and honey. Or I'll eat a Luna Bar...
Then for lunch I eat PB&J (REDUCED FAT PB!!), soy yogurt, and baked lays. For dinner it's usually chicken and a baked potato.

I actually added in a salad last week, and did ok!! I ate it after the baked potato, and it was very small. I was very excited though, because I was PETRIFIED of that salad. And like you, Abby, I sit there for hours WAITING for an attack....you sound just like me.

I think I'm doing ok as far as fruits go...I am just awful with veggies, they scare me to death. One time I ate about 4 green beans and then got really nervous so I stopped.

It's an obsession for me too.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Cara new
      #138633 - 01/14/05 06:32 PM
abby82

Thats basically what I eat too - have you ever had a problem with reduced fat peanut butter - thats one of things I would LOVE to be able to eat, I just havent tried it yet. I used to eat salad with EVERY dinner before IBS - maybe I will try and be brave and eat a very small one. Did you put dressing on it? I do the same thing with green beans - so I pretty much ruled them out! Im going to try sweet potatoes tonight though - I'll prolly only take one bite but I guess ya gotta start somewhere - thanks for the reply!

#138637 - 01/14/05 06:41 PM
Cara4503

Hey girl. Nope, I never had a problem with RF peanut butter! I buy Jif. I was SO happy the first time I ate it and had no problem. I eat it with grape jelly (not sugar free!) on white bread. I ate it on saltines once too and I was fine!

For the salad- I put Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinagrette on it - it's AWESOME, and I can eat it with no problem! It's expensive...but it's so good I could drink it. LOL. Jk. I have a very weak stomach too when it comes to new things - so I think you should try it!

Let me know how the sweet potatoes goes! I'm scared to eat those for some reason. I've never eaten one in my life actually, so if you try it and it's good and safe, maybe I will!

Did you get sick off of green beans?? I wnat to try them again, I'm just so scared. I just can't think of another veggie that would be safe! I HATE carrots, so that's out....really I don't like too many veggies at all except corn, and there's no way I'm touching that!

By the way - how are the puppies?!?!?

--------------------
~Cara~

Me too-totally obsessed new
      #138640 - 01/14/05 06:45 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I so much identify with what you just wrote! I have become obnoxiously obsessed with what goes into my mouth, never ever eating anything that may be a trigger. Not only the really obvious ones (dairy, fat, red meat) but even the ones that may be triggers like tomato product, citris fruits, soy... I eat the same things every day and never ever cheat!

And I too feel that I could eat more types of foods without as much reactions before reading what I wasn't suppose to be eating! I often wish I had never seen the list of foods because I am totally obsessed with this diet now! That's just the nature of my own personality. I am rigid and extremely anxious over everything that goes into my mouth. And I do think my IBS wasn't as bad when I had more freedom with my food. I just ate! No thinking or anxiety. Not obvious bad stuff,like dairy but just everyday normal foods! No thought, just eating like everyone else. Not looking at every ingredient on a store bought prepared food just to make sure there wasn't a trace of whey or casein!

And if I visit my grandma or go to a family get together I often can't eat anything and these "celebrations" have become more stressful than celebratory. I can't eat anything unless I know exactly what ingredients the person put into the food. Not something easily asked!

Don't get me wrong, I had pretty bad IBS then too! So that wasn't working too well either! But the anxiety and food obsessions were not to the degree that they are now.

Like you said, I love the support and encouragement this board provides, but I am anxious all the time about this IBS now. I think maybe the majority of my symptoms may be from the stress and anxiety of fear eating and what I will feel like. It has over taken my life and how I live, what I do, where I work, EVERYTHING!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Not Healthy new
      #138657 - 01/14/05 07:42 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hi everyone,
I'm far from qualified to diagnose anyone, but a lot of what people are saying on this thread reminded me of something I read about: an eating disorder that is defined by an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy foods. You can read about it here: web page. Again, I'm not saying any of you are suffering from this -- I just want to remind everyone that moderation is key in all things.
Hope everyone is feeling better soon.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Not Healthy new
      #138658 - 01/14/05 07:57 PM
Augie

Thanks Amanda Panda. I now have a name for how I think. Hope there's a way to overcome this obsession. It's taken over my life. No exageration. I'm sure you can see reflected in any of my posts.

But don't we need to be obsessed, just as a diabetic must be obsessed with their diet? I thought by having IBS we needed to be this way to stay safe or get stable.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: You guys are speaking my language new
      #138670 - 01/14/05 08:13 PM
maestro

Reged: 01/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Hello!

I've been browsing the boards this week and this is my first time posting. My IBS started 6 years ago this summer and in the beginning it was TERRIBLE. I switched to a low fat diet which closely resembled the IBS diet and still had problems. But slowly I eliminated the stress, learned my triggers and was able to add new foods to my "safe list" But I do remember what a frustrating time it was for me, you feel very limited by what you can eat, but you are nervous to try new things. I am fortunate to be able to manage my IBS through diet and paying attention to triggers (dairy, hormonal changes, red meat, etc). I think it's important to try and incorporate new foods (for nutritional needs and to alleviate boredom) but one at a time and keep a log of how your system reacts. I don't have symptoms on a daily basis but there are a lot things I will never eat again.

Hang in there!

#138746 - 01/15/05 05:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I second what Laura Sue said... YOU NEED to eat more variety... EXPERIMENT.. There are wonderful recipes on this site... and in heathers books.. and each persons limits are unique but eating that little amount of variety in food over a long term is NOT healthy for you. yes people have had attacks from things, but thats because each of us tolerates things differently. so far I've had the same foods as the rest of the family except for the salad and some of the raw veggies and only had very minor issues here on this trip. With 10 people to feed there have been plenty of choices.. I haven't eaten huge amounts of some things because I was wary, and others I have skipped in favor of other vegetables... particularly things that cause large amounts of gas in healthy people like cauliflower- which isn't a favorite anyway... and I even picked out of moms vegetable chili night before last.

just be cautious when adding new foods- I did one every few days so if it triggered a problem I knew it... and some things like hot peppers I can handle in small amounts and not large... fine with me, and DH the hot foods fan can cope.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Wow new
      #138756 - 01/15/05 06:42 AM
Cara4503

IT's like I wrote that post, Beth! You sound JUST like me, and how I feel. I am obsessed with what goes in my mouth too...I read EVERY ingredient in everything...I haven't gone out to eat once since I started this diet, and everytime we go away for the weekend it's a HUGE hassle. I bring EVERY single meal with me! I have even gone as far as to bring our microwave and toaster to a hotel once! I just am way to scared to eat anything anyone else prepared, and it's such a pain.

For Thanksgiving, we were at my parents house, which I was thankful of because I am more comfortable with my mom...but still, while everyone at Thanksgiving dinner, I made mine myself!

I hope I can get over this fear - but if I get attacks from eating other things, it'll just make the obsession even stronger.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have not had a single bite of ANYTHING on the trigger list for almost a year now since I started this diet.

Maybe we can help eachother, like LS said....if we try one new thing a week and post about it. I would love to expand my diet. And I would LOVE to go to eat again, my hubby misses it so much and it makes me feel awful - but I am just so scared of restaurants.

--------------------
~Cara~

Relieved at your response-long post new
      #138764 - 01/15/05 07:58 AM
Augie

After posting last night I was going to go in and edit the post this am because I was afraid you all would think I was obnoxiously obsessed-- a little nutty to put it in a politically incorrect manner!

So does it take you hours to grocery shop too, reading all those darn labels? That's also one reason it is easier to eat the same things--not having to read new labels!

At the place I just started working, the 3 other woman all eat together every friday. They order out from restaurants. It's a Friday tradition.It is so embarrassing to be sitting with them as they eat their thai or pizza or whatever the decide on while I eat my plain GF bread and turkey breast every single day! They don't say anything but then I get more anxiety because I worry about what they are thinking. Like I'm weird or something.

They also take people out for their birthdays to restaurants and there are two coming up shortly. I am already working myself up over how I am going to manage this one. Can't exactly bring a turkey sandwich with me to the restaurant! I have already went out with them at Christmas and it was a disaster. I ordered plain white rice and a plain chicken breast. What I got was a plate full of Yellow (so much butter) rice and a greasy grilled chicken breast with gobs of oil on it and herbs of who knows what origin. I embarrasingly asked for white rice again, and after a hassle (the waitress didn't speak english that well, she had to get another waitress for me to explain it to, and the second waitress needed to ask the manager, and then she came back and said it would take 45 minutes to make my special request. I was humiliated. The others were just sitting there quietly and had already finished their meals! I then asked for a plain baked potato instead and since it was lunch, they said they couldn't make one until 4. The point is, I was totally humiliated, I hate restaurants, and I know my coworkers will be going out again shortly, so I can't avoid this situation. There are only 4 of us, so my abscence would be noticed. And I don't want them to think I have an "eating problem" or that I am a snob. They look foreward to their friday lunches and any excuse to go out to a restaurant. For me it brings so much anxiety, I start getting sick weeks before just from anticipation! I'm rambling. Sorry.

My holidays were the same. Everyone passed the food around and I sat there with my own bowl of plain boiled potatos and plain carrots.

Everytime I go to grandmas she offers me cake and icecream or homemade cookies and always wants me to stay and have dinner with her. I know I hurt her feelings when I pass on all this. She is 86 and doesn't understand and doesn't remember that I can't have dairy, etc. So we go through this every visit. I don't want to not see her, don't know how much longer she will be around, but it is so hurtful to her. For grandmas feeding you= love!

I agree, attacks from new foods would only enforce the obsession and make me leery of venturing again. I have expanded some, with Casey's suggestions. I have added canned peaches and pears, some cooked spinach and cooked green beans, and even tried 1/2 portion of brown rice combined with my white rice. But that's about all the experimenting I've done in the past year also. Plus since I eat only GF foods, my diet is more rigid. No pretzels, bagels, crackers, homemade breads, not even oatmeal!

It is a relief to know I am not alone with being so afraid. Yes, maybe we can all work on this together like LS said. But that would mean eating new foods. I knew there was a problem with that suggestion

For what it's worth, nothing bad happened to me when I did add the canned pears, peaches, and those 2 veggies. Nothing worse than my usual symptoms. I am very symptomatic right now, so what do I have to lose, I tell myself! If I were stable I might be even more leery to screw up a good thing. But on the other hand, not being stable, I think maybe I should stick to the "what to eat" diet. But I am C and that didn't work. I know I need my insolubles. Actually today I am a D out of the blue for some reason. Oh this IBS has a mind of it's own. Or was it from the sweet potato I tried substituting for my turkey sandwhich for lunch yesterday? See I tried and I feel all gurgly and yucky and squishy inside today. And sore and rumbly. Was it my new food?

Are you guys C or D by the way? Are you all currentlly stable? Not that it matters. We all are afraid of food and the effects it may bring to our bodies! I know this is a major obessession for me. I think that perhaps my fear and anxiety is more detrimental to my tummy than the actual food.

Okay,I am planning on making Casey's Potato Chowder Soup this weekend. A new recipe! Will I have the nerve to add the onion that it calls for in the recipe? Maybe I'll try 1/4 an onion. Maybe not!

Have you looked at the recipes on the exchange board or in heathers Eating for IBS book! Scary! Onions, garlic, nutmeg (I read is hard on tummys), peppers!, celery, oh my. Did you see the thread on this earlier in the week. I think, are these recipe posters really people with IBS! I wish I could add onion and garlic. Who knows, maybe I could. But when people without IBS can get gas and such from beans, onions and garlic, why would I even risk it? I'll let you know what I do with the soup. I'm leaning towards skipping the onion altogher. I don't know if I am ready for it yet, even though it is already bought!

Sorry so long. I am amazed you eat soy milk, soy yogurt, or bananas. I am afraid of soy and bananas because I've read so many people have gotten gas and bloating from them. I didn't want to risk it. How have you guys done with that. Please post any new foods you guys try and let me know how it goes for you. Please! You can all email me too! I would love to get feedback from all the other "scaredy cats" out there!

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Beth & Cara new
      #138767 - 01/15/05 08:26 AM
abby82

Well after reading both of your posts I can say that we are all 3 exactly the same. I really think we could help eachother out because I am soooo ready to add variety - especially after reading everyones posts reminding me how unhealthy it is to eat the same thing everyday. I dont want to add any other health problems to my list
I am just getting sooo sick of being sick all the time that its driving me insane. It seems like it has ruined almost every part of my life - I barely talk to my friends anymore, Im never 100% happy, I cant eat at restaurants or other people's houses, I avoid my husband's family get-togethers because of the food and all the questions, and TONS more. On the other hand though - I have the best husband in the world - I dont think I could get through this without him. Anyways to answer some of Beth's questions - Im pretty sure Im an IBS A and I dont really think Im stable right now. It seems like everytime I start to think that I am stable then Im sick the whole next day My biggest problem right now is just feeling like crap after dinner every night - I eat dinner at around 6:30 or so and by about 9:30 I usually feel really full or bloated and my stomach just feels unsettled - almost like I have D but it never ends up that way.
Do you guys ever wonder if your stomach does the same things that other Healthy people's stomachs do but you just stress out over it and wait for every gurgle, movement, and noise that it makes. I always quiz my husband on exactly what his stomach does after meals so see if Im just obsessing over mine! Anyways I will post every food I try and we'll try to beat this thing together!!

- Stacey

Abby new
      #138772 - 01/15/05 08:34 AM
Augie

Do you eat any veggies at all. Maybe start out with some cooked carrots or squash. These I have even added! That might be a safe place to add in veggies.

Also,is your turkey burger homemade? I am scared of the frozen ones. No I'm thinking of the veggie burgers or Boca burgers.

--------------------
~ Beth

#138773 - 01/15/05 08:36 AM
abby82

Hey Cara - I think I will definitely give the Reduced Fat PB a try and the salad too! I actually chickened out on the sweet potatoes last night but I do plan on giving them a try REALLY soon. I did get sick after I ate green beans - but its really hard to beleive thats what made me sick since I only ate probably 2 or 3 of them! But with me thats all it takes. I really want to change though - thats my New Year's resolution! I also want to gain weight which obviously wont happen if I dont eat more foods! Awhile back there was some posts about this powder drink called RELIV - I was looking at it and its basically all vitamins and says that its like getting all the vitamins and minerals you get from eating vegetables and fruits. Anyways a couple of people on the boards tried it and really liked it so Ive been thinking about trying it myself. I know all I would do is buy a can of it and let it sit in my cupboard until it went bad though like all the protein powders that I bought and never tried!
The puppies are doing so good - they are ADORABLE!!! I tried to upload some new pictures of them on photobucket and it wouldnt let me. Maybe Ill go try again right now! Anyways thanks so much for your reply - I LOVE hearing other peoples stories that relate to me!

Re: Abby new
      #138774 - 01/15/05 08:40 AM
abby82

Hey! I am going to add some vegetables - I dont like squash but I have eaten carrots a few times. I really only eat potatoes other than that. The turkey burgers I eat are not the frozen ones. I just buy Ground Turkey Breast at the grocery store and make really thin hamburger patties and barbecue or fry them with a little bit of garlic salt. They arent too bad but Im getting sick of them quick! How do you cook your chicken? I just do the same thing as I do with my turkey - Ive never tried any other seasonings or anything like that.

Wow, you tried a salad! new
      #138776 - 01/15/05 08:46 AM
Augie

Those scare me to death. Raw lettuce! I'm so proud of you for trying something new!! And you do strawberries with seeds too and soy! Is your cream of rice the one by nabisco or is it a cream of brown rice. I do Lundbergs cream of brown rice for the increase fiber. I hope it is okay. See now I'm getting scared again because if you do plain white cream of rice then I may be doing something bad and it may be hurting me. I always hurt.

What other fruits do you do?

--------------------
~ Beth

A question for all the leery eaters new
      #138781 - 01/15/05 08:54 AM
Augie

Do you guys take an SFS at all? Just wondering because those scare me too! The bloating and gas that they could cause. Just curious.

Also, have you guys considered a digestive enzyme? When I eat it helps me to feel better that I have some "help" digesting the food. I use something called Digestive Gold. It has a high amounnt of digestive enzymes in them.

--------------------
~ Beth

Abby, how'd the sweet potato go? new
      #138784 - 01/15/05 08:57 AM
Augie

Are you on an SFS? Are you D or C or A? How long have you been doing this diet now?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: A question for all the leery eaters new
      #138786 - 01/15/05 09:10 AM
Harmony

My drs, have said not to take anything at this time. But to get the fiber from the solubles and from the omega 3 capsules I use. What happens for me, is that they are trying to slow down the transit time of food entering and leaving. To stop the spasms naturally. She also recommended that I give it time to balance out. Again dealing with the fear of what I might eat that would trigger the spasms staying in one cycle too long. The fear is what I am trying the hardest to deal with. Remember Bill Cosby's joke about a snake being at the foot of this little childs bed, his family had told him if he got out of that bed a snake would bite him. Well the kid keeps sticking his foot out a little bit each time, and finally he realized that there was no snake there to bite him, That's what I am trying to do with this fear of all foods, touch em just a little bit until I realize it's not going to get me....:) But I have lined up in my drainboard, Benefiber, sugar free, and Papaya enzymes that I use. The Dr. took the others and said that some of the natural ones are simply meant to work like a laxative. But if you have IBS D it may not be a good thing to take enzymes.

I wonder that too. new
      #138787 - 01/15/05 09:14 AM
Augie

If I am just more centered on my bowels and tummy than other people. Always conscious of every noise or gurgle. But no, I do think my pain is real, the spasms are definatly real ( I can see my stomach actually moving) and my reactions are real. Probably though increased by the anxiety. Yes, let's all give feedback on new foods we try. Problem is, what may be okay for one, may not be okay for another. You know what I mean? I'm still scared to eat a banana or do soy yogurt even though you guys can.

My diet is
Breakfast: cooked quinoa, cooked cream of brown rice, or cooked Mighty tasty GF cereal with cooked papaya or canned peaches. I have recently tried adding 1/2T ground flaxseed for a little fiber since I am C usually.

Lunch: Deli Chicken or turkey breast on GF bread, canned pears

Snack: dry corn puffs or baked potato chips

Dinner: chicken or fish, white rice/potato/rice noodles/or buchwheat noodles, cooked veggie (carrots, squash, spinach or green beans)

Snack: GF roll with smart squeeze margarine and glass rice milk

I also take citricel 3 times a day.

Recent additions: flaxseed (a little), sweet potato (think that may have cause the loose stools this am, but will try again to make sure, cuz they are quit tasty!), a little brown rice mixed in with white rice, egg whites with mushrooms.

What I want to try: chocolate soy milk, strawberries and blueberries in my cereal or smoothie, peas, cooked onion in potato soup, bananas, hummus, oh, too many to list.

This thread is so long. I feel like others may be getting upset that we are monopolizing this board! Sorry everyone.

--------------------
~ Beth

#138788 - 01/15/05 09:18 AM
Augie

I am IBS C or sometimes A so the enzymes should be okay,hopefully I just know I feel safer eating when I take them. So are you going to start taking the benefiber? I'm confused as you said your doc said not too?

Good example with the snake. I'll have to remember that. Food is my snake. And in the Bible we all know what trouble that snake caused.

--------------------
~ Beth

#138802 - 01/15/05 09:56 AM
Harmony

I am not going to take the Benefiber until the Dr. say's to try it.( I just got it handy,,,like she said one day, if you are feeling afraid, just hold it for awhile. I do that with my anxiety medicine too, if I start feeling that fear, I simply will hold it in my hand and breathe and count to about 30 and I calm down, and the attack in my gut start passing. Right now switching to some of the solubles and adding more protein to my diet has already showed remarkable changes in my spasms and bowel habits. This may sound dumb...but at the grief counseling classes I go to, they recommend writing a letter to the fear, to the "snake" the first one, is as to an enemy. What do you we say to something that is definately a threat to us. Or seems to have taken something valuable from us? I had a very hard time with that,,,tore up about 10 pages of rage. I lost 3 people I loved and had been caregiver for about 3 of the most critical years of thier lives. That's when I became very fearful and developed my eating disorder. I am thankful the other person survived his illness and yet I grieve for the loss of that person also.
The most important thing I have to try and keep upfront in my thinking is that I am not a bad person because I listen to that "snake". I have been seduced and inticed beyond what God has allowed. And I just have to find the roadmap back to wellness. I believe that God wants us to live quality lives while we are here. But it's sure hard to let go and let God..I still blame God for the pain I have endured.

Re: Harmony new
      #138837 - 01/15/05 11:47 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

You are a very interesting person. I like the letter writing idea. It can't hurt! I have no fear of fiber but, fear of other foods because I'm allergic to so many foods and have celiac disease. Thanks.

I'm sorry about all your loss that you suffered. I hope it will slowly get better for you.

Love,

Jamie

Love,

Jamie

#138838 - 01/15/05 12:04 PM
Harmony

I think everyone here is special, and needing to have a voice and get imput about what the heck is going on with our bodies. and our minds. I was sitting at the Drs. and realized that all of us were on some type of meds for our personal reasons. And I thought about how we are all out there driving around, doing our business, working and trying to stay connected without creating chaos!...:) I asked how many of us had driven ourselves to the Drs. and we all chuckled. I suggested we leave one at a time to avoid any excitmeent in the parking lot...:) But Heather and all of you are offering a new way through this hell. I am so excited to be able to read so many posts that not only identify what's got me, but offer kind, funny words of encouragement to get on down the road...:) I called Laura a windwalker,,,at first I was afraid, considering the subject of this bbs that she would take it wrong..:) A windwalker is a special person that my grandmother, a indian, said could walk through fire, connect to mother earth, and be lifted up to the heavens with special medicine and walk with the old sages of our past.

#138841 - 01/15/05 12:18 PM
Harmony

I have only heard about how difficult it is to manage Celiac, I hope you are doing well today with it. The letter writing is something my therapist has also began with me. I am doing a food journal and a grief journal. For 3 days I have been working on a very special paper for the class. It's been difficult. My mothers passing was horrible and left me with the decision of stopping all life sustaining efforts. I felt the eulogy for her was never sufficient. I have rewritten it. And to my great joy, I have remembered all the happy and wonderful things about her. I laughed and cried over some of the things she got us into. Her energy and stubborness is what I miss so much...:) I am writing about what I had forgotten and I think I am finally healing and no longer mad at God for her suffering, because God also gave her such a full and exciting life too! I quess you can say, that as I watched my mother in her last moments, the fear is being replaced by embracing her and holding her in a way I couldn't do at that horrible moment. The "snake" that has kept me from grieving, was the horrible sight of her battle the last moments. Fear of her suffering and not being able to take it for her. So the class may be abit surprised when I read her long overdo eulogy....:)

#138885 - 01/15/05 04:03 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I realize that I'm only a recent addition, so I can't speak from too much experience, but I've found that there comes a point where I need to draw the line. Sure, I'm also worried about triggering, but I'm MORE worried about not eating. The consequences of not eating anything at all, or even the same thing, perhaps, is worse than eating a potential trigger.

For example: Today at lunch, I was at a meal with many different types of food, but almost all were slightly problematic in some way or another. But since the main course was deli, and I KNOW red meat is a horrific trigger for me, I opted for a lot of the sides. I had 1) and apple and bread dish, 2) Cranberry Crunch (like apple crisp, but with cooked cranberries), and 3) rice. Sure, the cranberries and apples are insoluble fiber, but the rice, oats in the crunch, and the bread should help balance or diminish the effects of others and I'll still be better off than if I had red meat.

I second all the people who say that you should try more things. Paralyzing fear isn't going to help you in the long run. Start off slow and figure out what your body can tolerate. Sometimes you can handle things that other IBS people can't because of how specific each person's body is.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Restaurants, fear of food, etc new
      #138957 - 01/15/05 09:45 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Cara, I really identified with what you said about restaurants. I have become totally afraid of restaurants lately...When I first changed my diet, I would just cheat or not worry too much when I went to restaurants and now I try to be very careful since I have moved out of the dorms and started cooking for myself. It's been great, but I think it's made me MORE paranoid about other people's food. I had one BAD experience over Thanksgiving with my BF's family when we went to a restaurant and I was already totally stressed from holidays etc and not even hungry. So I ordered cooked veggies and I told the waitress I couldn't eat dairy. The veggies came, and they were clearly in a cream sauce!! I didn't want to be difficult and complain since I was in a big group and I wasn't hungry anyway, so I barely picked at it (plus it was eggplant which I am not too fond of), and then felt uncomfortable when my BF's cousin asked me why I wasn't eating, etc. So I am freaked about restaurants, although went to breakfast recently w/BF and ordered oatmeal with soymilk and it was fine. But breakfast is different than dinner! And I hated being difficult and asking if there was milk in the oatmeal, and asking for the soymilk...

But, since I've been home with my parents for winter break (I feel safer with food a little when I'm home, comfort and less stressed thing I guess), I have tried some of Heather's recipes (Smoky Black Bean Dip, Cantonese Jok, Will's Rice Pudding, and Mexican Refried Lentils) with few problems, so I am proud to have tried some new things.

A few people mentioned trouble with garlic, I have trouble with it when it's raw, but usually just a little cooked is ok. I am willing to try a new thing every week too, it's a good idea. I especially want to try adding more fish to get more omega 3s and protein, so if anyone has suggestions...

Alright I think I'm finally done now, and I totally feel for everyone on this post, it's hard for us when we are so worried about feeling bad to not feel that food is a risk. I'm so glad the board is here so we can talk about it!!!!

--------------------
~Angela

Eating the same things....(Augie please read this). new
      #138998 - 01/16/05 05:40 AM
Natalie1985

Hey everyone,
I am the same in terms of adding variety or not as the case is. I am pretty much living off the same things aswell, but I am at uni, living in a student flat and with all the stress us young ones have to go through it just is NOT easy dealing with ibs at the same time. And as I have been more stable in the last 3 months than I have in the 4 years Ive had this, I am too terrified to try anything new....and last week was the first time Ive been to a restaurant since I started the diet over a year ago!(It terrified me!) The thing is....as Ive managed to know what helps and hurts my ibs, I feel like I should just carry on eating my same old foods until I atleast finish uni(and make sure I take vitamins too) so that atleast I can get through it without too much trouble!

I wanted to post especially cos of you Augie...I always read your posts ever since you started coming on the boards...and I genuinely am concerned about you feeling so bad at the moment. Whenever I read your posts I can feel your pain...Ive been there, as a terrified 15 year old! I thought things would never get better...but it takes time. IBS cant be cured...it cant go away in a day...it takes a hell of a lot of patience and will power...and not to mention completely changing your life. Yes we have got a proper raw deal, and yes its not fair...but seriously things can get better...theres no way any of us should have to go through the rest of our lives like this...Heather has proven that you can make a difference. The hardest part is that everyone is different...it took me soooo long to realise that. I was going through heathers nook, making recipes and wondering why I wasnt feeling any better. Then I realised..hey...I CANNOT tolerate oatmeal....yea heather says its safe...but not for me! When I started adapting the recipes and stuff to fit MY needs then things started to change.

I also really dont think mentally I would be where I am now if it wasnt for the hypno tapes. I did them in the summer...and although it definately wasnt overnight...a month or so after finishing the entire program is when things starting picking up. I am about to start actual sessions with Michael Mahoney(I live near his surgery) to try and improve things even further! Augie, I honestly think if you havent already or you're even the tiniest bit sceptical please please buy it! I think it would help you sooo much. It seems to me that you're in a place that I was only a year ago...the anxiety really plays the biggest part in keeping the IBS with you! The hypno is worth ten times the money it costs to buy it! Even if it means saving somehow...I would urge you so much to do it! We all have to stick together and continue helping eachother...and lets hope that when Im speaking to you in a years time, you're a completely new person...happy, healthy and loving life!!

--------------------
Natalie

#139035 - 01/16/05 09:09 AM
Cara4503

Hey! Let me know how you do with the salad and RF PB, I think you'll be fine, just make sure the salad is small! I'm sure you will anyways
I am definately good about taking vitamins...I take prenatal vitamins, folic acid, complex-B, and 2 TUMS a day for calcium. I never miss a pill - so I always figure I'm ok being bland in my diet...but maybe I'm not. I don't know.

I think I might try some black beans this week....they've been in my cabinet for about 7 months - lol.

I'll let ya know how it goes!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Relieved at your response-long post new
      #139040 - 01/16/05 09:21 AM
Cara4503

Hey Beth - how long have you been on this diet?? I am a D, but I think I'm slowly becoming an A. I am semi-stable. I was really stable for a few months awhile ago, and then I quit smoking and it seems like I went downhill from there. I heard that getting off of nicotine can make your stomach go a little crazy for awhile.
Then I was on pain meds for getting my wisdom teeth out - and I was C for 12 days...and since then it's been D. So right now I'm not exactly stable.

I love soy - I did build up my tolerance to it like LS said. I started with just one soy yogurt a day. Then I started cooking with soy milk....then I started doing smoothies, etc. Now I could eat all the soy I want and be fine! I do fine with strawberries when they are liquified in the blender! I have always eaten bananas w/no problem too. I was eating them before I heard anything bad about them from people on here. I remember someone saying that the ends of the banana are harder to digest for some reason - so if you want, try eating the middle of a banana first maybe??

When I read your post I realized I am actually doing better than I thought - yeah I eat the same things everyday for breakfast/lunch/snacks, but I do vary dinner everyday. I cook with spices, and do fine with cooked onion, garlic, etc.

I have made a bunch of the recipes off of the boards - like chicken stuffed shells, nova scotia chicken (love that one), carribean chicken, lemon dill chicken (that's really good too), etc. I use ground turkey in all of my recipes that call for ground beef...I've even made meatloaf with it...and I make turkey burgers with it a lot because it's such an easy meal.

I buy organic noodles and make spaghetti - I do fine with Newman's Own Marinara sauce.

Basically I am terrified of veggies, fish (I got sick off of salmon so many times because it's a fattier fish), restaurants, and other people's cooking.

I have never tried brown rice, I'm scared of it....so maybe I'll try that soon since you did and were ok!

--------------------
~Cara~

Cara new
      #139048 - 01/16/05 10:30 AM
Augie

I also think you are probably doing better than you thought! That's awesome that you made all those recipes! And have tried even onion and garlic. Wow, I am amazed. I'm still doing basic stuff: plaind baked chicken, etc. The thing is, I've never been stable, so I don't feel comfortable trying new things when I have yet to feel any better on the basic foods.

I do think you should try some white fish. I know Casey had a hard time with lots of salmon at one time, but the less fatty fish are easier. I like tilapia, seabass, orange roughy... Well I love all fish! But my favorite is tilapia!

I've been on the diet for months, and I mean months, even before I registered I was trying it. I understand that it takes longer for C people. (don't know if I'm C or A) I'm C during week and then D or A on weekends I'm finding lately! Guess because I have time in morning and not rushing.

I'll try your soy suggestion. Maybe I'll try some hummus on bread. Hummus is soy right? I don't know what it is! Or some soy milk. But that has carageenan in it and I read that can be a trigger too. See, afraid of every ingredient! UGH! Does your yogurt or soy milk contain carageenan?

So afraid of bananas. I keep buying them to try and they just go black cuz I always chicken out. I've read too many posts on how they cause gas and problems! If I read one bad thing it becomes a taboo food. I'm also afraid of marinara sauce or anything tomatoey!

You are doing better than you give yourself credit for. A lot of people on the boards and in real life eat the same things for breakfast and lunch because it's easy. What kind of cream of rice do you do? The nabisco brand plain white rice or a cream of brown rice type?

You never answered my question if you are taking an SFS at all or are you scared of those too? How long have you been doing the diet?

--------------------
~ Beth

Feeling hopeless with reason new
      #139049 - 01/16/05 10:52 AM
Augie

Thank you for your concern and your thoughtful response, and for just thinking of me, Natalie. It really touched me that you cared enough to post to me!

I am very depressed and frightened because as much as people can say it will get better, there is no guarentee that it will get better for me. Maybe Heather's diet doesn't work for everyone. I hope it will, but I have gotten no where! I try so hard to do it right. I swear I don't know what everyone else who is stable is doing that I am not. I have never been stable while doing this diet, even with just staying with the basic stuff and not trying the cooked onion or garlic or anything fancy. Never. If I could just feel a little progress, a baby step, that would give me hope. But that has not happened after months and months, I would say more than 6 months maybe.I lost count of when I started. That's why I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. But for the life of me, I don't know what it is.

I understand it takes longer for IBS-C people, but how much longer? I suppose trying to find the balance of tolerable insoluables is rough. And if I am never stable, how do I figure out if something I am eating is a trigger? How did you identify oatmeal as a problem for you? I assumed if it is on heathers safe list it should be safe. Period! So if food on the safe list is not safe for some, where do I begin? How do I know what is okay to eat when I've never been stable and can't figure out what my triggers are because I am always symptomatic? How do I adapt when I can't figure out what my needs are?

I do think I need the hypnotherapy! I totally believe in it! And I am desparate for some relief.

Do you take an SFS Natalie? I am having the hardest time finding one. That also makes this IBS more difficult. Is it a food that is causing a problem or is it the SFS and how do you differentiate?

--------------------
~ Beth

Sorry Beth! new
      #139062 - 01/16/05 12:22 PM
Cara4503

I didn't answer all your questions...I was in a rush when I wrote that because my dogs were running around like maniacs and I had to leave to run errands....

YES I'm taking a SFS!! I'm on Heather's Acacia and love it. I take a little over 2 Tbsp a day. One before breakfast, one before dinner. I won't leave home w/o it! I just ordered 2 more bags today!

I have been on the diet for a year now - wow, time flies. I didn't even realize it's been a year.

I have some hummas, and I've never tried it! I'm a little scared of it for some weird reason, I'm sure it's safe! My sister suggested it and said it's great.

I'm not even sure what carageenen is!! It IS in the soy milk I buy - Silk....but there are so many kinds you can look at. It ISN'T in my soy yogurt - and that's Silk brand too - it's called Silk Cultured Soy Yogurt. I didn't like it that much at first, but now I LOVE it. Guess I just had to get used to that 'soy' taste.
As far as cream of rice - I just buy the regular white rice kind.

I do have to try more fish, I love fish and I used to eat it all the time. My fav is Halibut, I think that is safe because it's a lighter white fish, but it's so expensive and I'm scared of fish now anyways....

I think you should definately try bananas and marinara sauce, because if they are ok with you, they will make your life easier....I use marinara sauce for lots of stuff...for ex. spaghetti, calzones, etc. And bananas are great because you are eating fruit, and you can make smoothies with them - HEY, have you tried any of Heather's bread recipes??? THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! You could make the banana bread with your black bananas! And the pumpkin spice bread is amazing...I make that a lot -I gave some to two of my neighbors awhile ago and they raved about it FOREVER.

Also - I just thought of this - I buy unsweetened applesauce and eat that a lot...that's good for you and it's fruit - you should try that!

Alright I've got some girls coming over for a facial now so I have to go! Will write more later!

--------------------
~Cara~

Augie! new
      #139081 - 01/16/05 01:56 PM
Natalie1985

I can completely understand how aweful you must feel...and its so weird cos there are so many days when I wish to god I was IBS-C cos it just wouldnt cause the endless fear of not making the toilet on time...and then I think of all of you lot and how people describe how terrible it is and I am thankful I dont. Like you I just assumed that everything on Heathers diet was 'safe' for me, cos she said so...and thats why I had so many problems getting stable...heathers diet is completely spot on...but like I said...we all have our own tolerances. I found oatmeal was a trigger for me cos literally 10 minutes after I eat it I feel ugh and have to go the toilet immediately! At first when that happened I just thought...oh well its safe it cant be that...and then I had to listen to my body and realise...no it is just me...I cant tolerate it! I can completely understand why its harder for IBS C people to get stable cos of the need to balance insolubles and solubles...for me basing the most on solubles and the least insolubles means less chance of d, which is obviously what I want. Seriously, about the hypno...get it as soon as you can...it really really will help you I am so sure it will. The only thing I can advise you about the food is to stick to solubles only and then increase by adding literally an insoluble at a time, one a day if needs be....maybe you've tried that already Im not sure?? Really listen to your body...how do you feel after you've eaten it...10 mintues later, 30 minutes later...the next day?? Thats what Ive had to do and it is soooo tedious...but worth every effort. And no I dont take a soluble fibre supplement...the reasons I dont is cos mainly Im a student and I cant afford to keep buying it all the time...and as Ive coped so far without it I havent felt the need....but when I did try acacia(and I have an unopened pack of it in my room) I did find it soothing on the stomach...I ended up forgetting to take it and never went back to trying again. I just think if I get used to it Id have to find the means of paying for it all the time...but I will try it again one day! I hope thats been of some help...and you're welcome to email me anytime over anything, its in my profile...keep us posted on everything, Im praying that things pick up for you soon xx

--------------------
Natalie

#139137 - 01/16/05 04:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm with a lot of other people here. I cheat once in a while on small things, but there are certain things that I just KNOW would be asking for an attack and those things I don't eat... ever. For example, I'm okay with occasional small amounts of milk chocolate, one glass of wine with a meal, higher fat cookies, etc. But I don't even touch ice cream, alfredo sauce, pizza, etc. because it just isn't worth it to me. I think the main thing is learning what your body tolerates and what bothers you and go from there!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#139212 - 01/17/05 02:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There are LOADS of things you can try without straying onto the bad stuff list! SO don't make your diet boring. I love experiementing with food...and as long as I follow Heather's guidelines, I almost always do okay. The occasional bit of indigestion makes up for all the yummy food I eat! Experiment! Even if it only means cooking something new out of Eating for IBS. Mmmm...all that yummy food.

Having said that, I do cheat sometimes too (but that's a separate issue). Alcohol and pizza are my baddies. I'm lucky in that I'm not very sensitive to fat, but that does mean I push the boundaries more than I should.

I third it. Good post LS! -nt- new
      #139213 - 01/17/05 02:49 AM
Linz

Cara-salmon new
      #139214 - 01/17/05 02:54 AM
Linz

Sweetie, salmon's not that fatty! It's only fattier compared to some other FISH - like saying that avocado is a high fat food, when it's only high fat compared to other veggies. Are you SURE it wasn't because it was cooked with oil/butter or served with bad stuff? Salmon and other so-called "fatty" fish are REALLY good for you as they contain good fats (omega oils) which you really need to stay healthy.

Does anyone else have a problem with this? Ideas anyone?

Re: Cara-salmon new
      #139239 - 01/17/05 06:58 AM
Cara4503

Sorry Linz! That is what I meant - it IS one of the fattier fishes, along with swordfish. Believe me I did NOT cook with butter or oil! I am very anal about that stuff...I just broil it with salt and pepper usually!

I tried it 3 times, sick every time....so I won't eat it again. I LOVE it, but it's not worth it. Maybe I'll try again in a year or so....

--------------------
~Cara~

Bump for Augie!!! new
      #139469 - 01/18/05 03:04 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

Another bump for Augie....let me know if you get it n/t new
      #139828 - 01/19/05 05:12 AM
Natalie1985

--------------------
Natalie

Ok. Wow, you're sensitive! - nt new
      #139846 - 01/19/05 06:46 AM
Linz

My dear Natalie new
      #140173 - 01/19/05 07:24 PM
Augie

Thank you for your input on what has become an ongoing saga--my constant chronic problems with IBS and trying to become stable, and trying to figure out which course of action to take!

I too used to be a chronic D for years--going 7 to 10 times a day. Not fun either. Both C and D suck!

For one thing, I don't get immediate reactions to food like you did with the oatmeal which makes it more difficult to pinpoint triggers. I feel bloated and gassier as the day goes on and it doesn't really matter what I've eaten. I could be eating something "bad" for me and not feel the effects for a few days. I think most C people have more delayed reactions where D have more immediate reactions.

I've tried the straight soluble diet for about a week, then added in an insoluble at a time because I was so C. I didn't feel differently when I was straight soluble or when I started adding in insolubles. I felt gassy, bloated and constipated with both diets.

As far as listening to my body, I don't think it's talking to me! I think I'm listening, but I don't hear anything.

I will be starting miralax soon, I think. And I think I will call the hypnotherapist I went to once, but stopped because it was so expensive, tomorrow! And whatever it cost, I will get on a savings plan with him and pay it off slowly. I thought about buying the tapes (cheaper) but I think I need a counselor as well. Someone to talk me through the fears and anxieties. The tapes sure would save me money and money is major major major stress for me. I am barely making it now.

Please email me anytime. Maybe it's different for D and C people. It seems like this diet works better for D people because C people seem to need more meds(miralax, zelnorm, colace) and it seems that too much solubles cause more constipation.

Thanks for your support Natalie, and for bumping this a couple times so that I finally found you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Abby new
      #140182 - 01/19/05 07:56 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Abby, you've had a lot of responses already, but I thought I'd share a few ideas of my own. I've found its so important that I include lots of fruit and veges in my diet otherwise I get C with a vengence. Perhaps my symptoms are milder then others, I don't know, but I don't seem to react badly to any fruit or vege. I have constant bloating and gas problems but these aren't made any better or worse by the type of fruit or vege I eat.

For me its important that I have variety in my diet, because I am passionate about food and to be stuck with a rigid, monotonous diet would be the end of me. Perhaps I put up with more bloating and gas then I should, but its a small price for me to pay to have a variety of fruit and veg in my diet.

But aside from fruit and veg, I am restricted with the other foods I eat. I have no red meat, no wheat based foods (used to be gluten free but am experimenting with spelt flour which is wheat but not gluten free), no dairy, no soy and no caffiene. I'm meant to be alcohol and chocolate free too, but they're my vices!

There's nothing I love more then eating out at restaurants so I often bare the consequences of overindulging when I go out. But as I said before, a bit of gas and bloating is worth the torment if it means I can have a relatively 'normal' life.

To cut a long story short (sorry if I've been rambling) I do cheat and I probably cheat more often then I should, but when I was on a rigid diet my life was horrible. I've found out what I can cheat more safely with and what I definately can't. I CANNOT eat wheat based foods, but I can tolerate some cheese, chocolate and wine. If I keep these foods as a treat it makes my life (and my boyfriends life!) so much more enjoyable.

The important thing to remember is do not let IBS control your life. Control the IBS and live your life to the full.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: My dear Natalie new
      #140184 - 01/19/05 07:59 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Quote:

I've tried the straight soluble diet for about a week, then added in an insoluble at a time because I was so C. I didn't feel differently when I was straight soluble or when I started adding in insolubles. I felt gassy, bloated and constipated with both diets.

If you barely have any insoluables, you will almost definitely be C. You need to keep adding insoluables, as much as you can tolerate. This is the subtle difference between the D and C diets. D people need to incorporate insoluables in a tolerable way, mostly because of the vitamins they provide. C people, on the other hand, have to rely on a balance of soluable and insoluable in order to be able to go. If you want to take it as slowly as possible, try doing something like pureeing spinach in the blender and adding it to your soup, or to your mashed potatoes.
I hope this helps.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

Now that was inspiring! new
      #140189 - 01/19/05 08:06 PM
Augie

Especially your last statement.

ps I've missed you, were ya been?

--------------------
~ Beth

How do you know new
      #140191 - 01/19/05 08:10 PM
Augie

How much insolubles is safe to have in one day? Until you are able to go (as in BM)?

Do you know if canned peaches and canned pears are still insoluble even though the canned have less fiber (much less) or is the fresh fruit better for C? or does it depend on the individual?

BTW, I also love your new pic Amanda Panda!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Now that was inspiring! Thank you Augie! new
      #140193 - 01/19/05 08:13 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Augie, I've been on holidays. Had a lovely break. I just replyed to your email.... hopefully I haven't confused you even more!

--------------------

Don't think it's possible new
      #140194 - 01/19/05 08:15 PM
Augie

to confuse me anymore! I'm pretty darn dizzy with confusion already!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: How do you know new
      #140196 - 01/19/05 08:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

In figuring out how much insoluable fiber to have in a day, I would suggest probably trial and error. I'd wait until Saturday, when you don't have to be anywhere, and try to make all your meals and snacks include significantly more insoluable than you are used to. I am ibs-A pretty much, so I'm kind of prone to D if I get too much insoluable, but prone to C if I don't get enough. Try to do this without panicking. Remember that you've felt like crap before and that it hasn't killed you yet, you can survive. Do it on a day when you have no appointments, so no anxiety about being inconvenienced by feeling bad. I'd suggest something like adding a generous handful of raisins to your breakfast cereal, hot or cold. And maybe several pickle chips alongside your sandwich at lunch. For a snack I'd have something that feels like a treat, whether it's soluable or insoluable, as kind of a reward for trying new things all day. Then at dinner I'd have some steamed spinach or asparagus along with my main dish and some soluable like rice or pasta. If it doesn't make you feel any worse, do it again the next day! That's basically how I deal with it. Lately I've been more prone to C than to D, and I can agree with you that while D is no picknick, C is kind of harder to really fix. It's just going to take some patience. Also, for no reason that I can figure out, a bowl of cream of rice in the morning makes me go immediately. This doesn't happen when I have cold cereal or a bagel. I don't know if it's because the warm cream of rice relaxes my muscles, or what, but it helps me, so I'm passing it on. Same thing with hot tea of any kind.
As for the canned fruits, I think that without the skin they are almost entirely soluable. You might consider making homemade applesauce (recipe in Heather's book is just chopped apples and water), but leave some of the skin on.
Ok I'm out of idea. I hope I helped. You sure do sound like you are having a rough time.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Don't think it's possible new
      #140197 - 01/19/05 08:23 PM
Taylahmai

Poor thing Well I'm here to help in any way I can

--------------------

#140198 - 01/19/05 08:31 PM
Augie

Thanks Amanda, but what are pickle chips?

Do you think I could get "evicted" for asking so many questions and for always sounding so negative? I know everyone's patience must be waring thin with me. I'm sorry I am so high maintanance. I bet you guys are sort of sorry I ever found you guys!

I think I may try the acacia too. How's it working for you? Like you say, if I feel crummy already, why am I so afraid to try new things? Duh. I'll have to remember that! At least I would feel horrible but eating more enjoyable and greater variety of foods! And it may just help. And it may help to get over the anxiety of trying them if I just do it, as they say! I know it can't kill me. The worst that could happen is a pain I already live with.

Do you manage your IBS with only diet and acacia?

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie, one more thing new
      #140199 - 01/19/05 08:33 PM
Taylahmai

Remember how I was sympathising with you about how IBS was taking over my life. Well I've started being less obsessed with what goes in my mouth and I've actually found I'm enjoying life so much more and my symptoms are no better no worse. For eg mum was staying recently and we were tucking into the wine and chocolate like there was no tomorrow. Apart from the usual bloat and gas I was fine!? I've been making some delicious GF muffins (todays is smoked salmon, asparagus and capsicum, yummmm) and am enjoying eating again, hooray! I think the main thing for me was exactly as I said in my previous post, I'm controlling the IBS and living my life the way that makes me happy I think so long as we are sensible we should be able to enjoy a long list of yummy foods. I hate to be the devils advocate but perhaps the bloat and gas are inevitable?? I could eat a yummy chicken and vege stirfry, or I could have plain chicken and rice and my symptoms will be exactly the same..... go figure??

--------------------

Re: Augie, one more thing new
      #140200 - 01/19/05 08:40 PM
Augie

It's worth some thought. As Amanda just posted to me, what's the worst that could happen by adding in new foods. I already feel yucky! I want to eat yummy foods again! I want to live again, celebrate holidays again, be happy again and not continue to be victimized and inprisoned by this hiddeous life stealing IBS!

I am proud of you! You have taken back your life. I hope I can get over the anxiety of trying new foods and just do it!

I need to go to sleep now. I'm going to be one tired puppy at work tomorrow!
Good night!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Augie, one more thing new
      #140203 - 01/19/05 08:50 PM
Taylahmai

Victimised and imprisoned are two such defining words for IBS. But when you are victimised and imprisoned by something it takes such strength to break free. Perhaps I'm just lucky that my BMs have remained stable, despite my eating any fruit and veg I like, as well as indulging in a few treats. Or perhaps I'm just lucky and I have it sussed what I can afford to cheat with and what I can't. Either way I really hope one day you and everyone else can get it figured as well. Not that I've got this whole damn IBS nonsense sussed, but I do feel so much better (mentally) with more foods in my diet And it really helps that there's a miriad of GF substitutes that I reckon taste even better then wheat! so I can bake anything under the sun.

Have a good sleep. Maybe you'll be up for trying something new tomorrow. I have one yummy suggestion if you like cooking - pumpkin, spinach and goats cheese frittata. Delicious

--------------------

#140204 - 01/19/05 08:53 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Haha, Pickle chips are just sliced pickles in a jar. Maybe calling them pickle chips is a New York thing.
We all ask a lot of questions in the beginning. The biggest secret is to try to RELAX.
Yes, I manage my IBS with just the diet and acacia, plus the hypno CDs. I also have hyoscamine which I take very seldomly, when I think what I'm eating will give me D. I also use Equalactin and Gas-x as needed. I tend to go through several boxes of each in a week, and then not need them at all for a month. I also exercise at least 3 times a week, and I make sure to try to de-stress in other ways. For example, I never miss Karaoke on Thursday nights, and I rarely miss Church on Sunday. Every little bit helps.

--------------------
Amanda

PS -- new
      #140207 - 01/19/05 08:58 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

None of us got stable overnight. It took me several months of obsessively sticking to the diet to start to feel really a lot better. Even when my symptoms were gone, I felt like one false move and BAM they'd be back. Now after having my symptoms under control for over a year, I feel I am truly stable. I've had about 1 attack in the last 2 months, and it involved refried beans, stress, and tight pantyhose. In the three months before that, I had about 2 attacks. So, it takes a while, but you'll get there. Don't get discouraged, and don't look for a magic bullet or an instant cure. You'll get there.

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Feeling hopeless with reason new
      #140214 - 01/19/05 09:40 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Dear Beth,

I have been away from the boards, I am sorry to have seemed to be neglecting you. I am really not, I have just had an awful lot of stress on me, andI am trying to get some calm and quiet in my life lately. (giving up on that one.)

I just want to say, when I first found this diet I was a D. I found myself stabilizing rather quickly. I was using a SFS, KONSYL. It helped me, after I got through the initial gassiness phase. I no longer take it, because I am a C now. One thing, and I am not sure I have heard you mention it, do you keep a food diary? I think that would be the way to find out if things like oatmeal can be a trigger for you. I have heard so many people say how much a food diary helped them. I still have my days, I don't really have D, but I will go to the bathroom again, and again, and .....then a few hours later, I am so C I am miserable. What is up with that??? I dont understand it either.

I am having some reaction to my Lexapro, so I am going to quit it tomorrow. My tongue is burning, worse after eating some foods, but at times it really bothers me. I think it is a reaction to that med. I remember it bothering me from the beginning, but I thought that after a few months, it would go away. It hasn't, soooo, I am so tired of being uncomfortable that I am going to stop the L right away. I will figure out what comes next after I talk to my doc.

Hope things get much better for you soon, I miss talking to you honey. Let me know how it goes. gayla

Gigi new
      #140353 - 01/20/05 11:26 AM
Augie

Aw, I know you would never neglect me. But I have been wondering where you were at. Hope things have calmed down. what's been going on?

I have tried a food diary, but they don't work for me. I think it might help more with D folks. But for me there is no link between foods I have eaten and the amount of gas, bloat, and C I have . I have tried repeatedly and have now given this up as I can eat the same food one day and have less symptoms as when I eat the same food a week later.
I have a hard time pinpointing exact foods, still wondering about bananas, soy, and brown rice as a few examples, because I hurt and am gassy all the time. Any suggestions?

I think all the meds I am to help go (colace, zelnorm, citrucel) are maybe the cause of the gas and not so much the food? I don't know and I don't know how to figure it out.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 726 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45307

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review