All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Harmony new
      #138841 - 01/15/05 12:18 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

I have only heard about how difficult it is to manage Celiac, I hope you are doing well today with it. The letter writing is something my therapist has also began with me. I am doing a food journal and a grief journal. For 3 days I have been working on a very special paper for the class. It's been difficult. My mothers passing was horrible and left me with the decision of stopping all life sustaining efforts. I felt the eulogy for her was never sufficient. I have rewritten it. And to my great joy, I have remembered all the happy and wonderful things about her. I laughed and cried over some of the things she got us into. Her energy and stubborness is what I miss so much...:) I am writing about what I had forgotten and I think I am finally healing and no longer mad at God for her suffering, because God also gave her such a full and exciting life too! I quess you can say, that as I watched my mother in her last moments, the fear is being replaced by embracing her and holding her in a way I couldn't do at that horrible moment. The "snake" that has kept me from grieving, was the horrible sight of her battle the last moments. Fear of her suffering and not being able to take it for her. So the class may be abit surprised when I read her long overdo eulogy....:)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about cheating new
      #138885 - 01/15/05 04:03 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I realize that I'm only a recent addition, so I can't speak from too much experience, but I've found that there comes a point where I need to draw the line. Sure, I'm also worried about triggering, but I'm MORE worried about not eating. The consequences of not eating anything at all, or even the same thing, perhaps, is worse than eating a potential trigger.

For example: Today at lunch, I was at a meal with many different types of food, but almost all were slightly problematic in some way or another. But since the main course was deli, and I KNOW red meat is a horrific trigger for me, I opted for a lot of the sides. I had 1) and apple and bread dish, 2) Cranberry Crunch (like apple crisp, but with cooked cranberries), and 3) rice. Sure, the cranberries and apples are insoluble fiber, but the rice, oats in the crunch, and the bread should help balance or diminish the effects of others and I'll still be better off than if I had red meat.

I second all the people who say that you should try more things. Paralyzing fear isn't going to help you in the long run. Start off slow and figure out what your body can tolerate. Sometimes you can handle things that other IBS people can't because of how specific each person's body is.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Restaurants, fear of food, etc new
      #138957 - 01/15/05 09:45 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Cara, I really identified with what you said about restaurants. I have become totally afraid of restaurants lately...When I first changed my diet, I would just cheat or not worry too much when I went to restaurants and now I try to be very careful since I have moved out of the dorms and started cooking for myself. It's been great, but I think it's made me MORE paranoid about other people's food. I had one BAD experience over Thanksgiving with my BF's family when we went to a restaurant and I was already totally stressed from holidays etc and not even hungry. So I ordered cooked veggies and I told the waitress I couldn't eat dairy. The veggies came, and they were clearly in a cream sauce!! I didn't want to be difficult and complain since I was in a big group and I wasn't hungry anyway, so I barely picked at it (plus it was eggplant which I am not too fond of), and then felt uncomfortable when my BF's cousin asked me why I wasn't eating, etc. So I am freaked about restaurants, although went to breakfast recently w/BF and ordered oatmeal with soymilk and it was fine. But breakfast is different than dinner! And I hated being difficult and asking if there was milk in the oatmeal, and asking for the soymilk...

But, since I've been home with my parents for winter break (I feel safer with food a little when I'm home, comfort and less stressed thing I guess), I have tried some of Heather's recipes (Smoky Black Bean Dip, Cantonese Jok, Will's Rice Pudding, and Mexican Refried Lentils) with few problems, so I am proud to have tried some new things.

A few people mentioned trouble with garlic, I have trouble with it when it's raw, but usually just a little cooked is ok. I am willing to try a new thing every week too, it's a good idea. I especially want to try adding more fish to get more omega 3s and protein, so if anyone has suggestions...

Alright I think I'm finally done now, and I totally feel for everyone on this post, it's hard for us when we are so worried about feeling bad to not feel that food is a risk. I'm so glad the board is here so we can talk about it!!!!

--------------------
~Angela

Eating the same things....(Augie please read this). new
      #138998 - 01/16/05 05:40 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey everyone,
I am the same in terms of adding variety or not as the case is. I am pretty much living off the same things aswell, but I am at uni, living in a student flat and with all the stress us young ones have to go through it just is NOT easy dealing with ibs at the same time. And as I have been more stable in the last 3 months than I have in the 4 years Ive had this, I am too terrified to try anything new....and last week was the first time Ive been to a restaurant since I started the diet over a year ago!(It terrified me!) The thing is....as Ive managed to know what helps and hurts my ibs, I feel like I should just carry on eating my same old foods until I atleast finish uni(and make sure I take vitamins too) so that atleast I can get through it without too much trouble!

I wanted to post especially cos of you Augie...I always read your posts ever since you started coming on the boards...and I genuinely am concerned about you feeling so bad at the moment. Whenever I read your posts I can feel your pain...Ive been there, as a terrified 15 year old! I thought things would never get better...but it takes time. IBS cant be cured...it cant go away in a day...it takes a hell of a lot of patience and will power...and not to mention completely changing your life. Yes we have got a proper raw deal, and yes its not fair...but seriously things can get better...theres no way any of us should have to go through the rest of our lives like this...Heather has proven that you can make a difference. The hardest part is that everyone is different...it took me soooo long to realise that. I was going through heathers nook, making recipes and wondering why I wasnt feeling any better. Then I realised..hey...I CANNOT tolerate oatmeal....yea heather says its safe...but not for me! When I started adapting the recipes and stuff to fit MY needs then things started to change.

I also really dont think mentally I would be where I am now if it wasnt for the hypno tapes. I did them in the summer...and although it definately wasnt overnight...a month or so after finishing the entire program is when things starting picking up. I am about to start actual sessions with Michael Mahoney(I live near his surgery) to try and improve things even further! Augie, I honestly think if you havent already or you're even the tiniest bit sceptical please please buy it! I think it would help you sooo much. It seems to me that you're in a place that I was only a year ago...the anxiety really plays the biggest part in keeping the IBS with you! The hypno is worth ten times the money it costs to buy it! Even if it means saving somehow...I would urge you so much to do it! We all have to stick together and continue helping eachother...and lets hope that when Im speaking to you in a years time, you're a completely new person...happy, healthy and loving life!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Cara new
      #139035 - 01/16/05 09:09 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hey! Let me know how you do with the salad and RF PB, I think you'll be fine, just make sure the salad is small! I'm sure you will anyways
I am definately good about taking vitamins...I take prenatal vitamins, folic acid, complex-B, and 2 TUMS a day for calcium. I never miss a pill - so I always figure I'm ok being bland in my diet...but maybe I'm not. I don't know.

I think I might try some black beans this week....they've been in my cabinet for about 7 months - lol.

I'll let ya know how it goes!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Relieved at your response-long post new
      #139040 - 01/16/05 09:21 AM
Cara4503

Hey Beth - how long have you been on this diet?? I am a D, but I think I'm slowly becoming an A. I am semi-stable. I was really stable for a few months awhile ago, and then I quit smoking and it seems like I went downhill from there. I heard that getting off of nicotine can make your stomach go a little crazy for awhile.
Then I was on pain meds for getting my wisdom teeth out - and I was C for 12 days...and since then it's been D. So right now I'm not exactly stable.

I love soy - I did build up my tolerance to it like LS said. I started with just one soy yogurt a day. Then I started cooking with soy milk....then I started doing smoothies, etc. Now I could eat all the soy I want and be fine! I do fine with strawberries when they are liquified in the blender! I have always eaten bananas w/no problem too. I was eating them before I heard anything bad about them from people on here. I remember someone saying that the ends of the banana are harder to digest for some reason - so if you want, try eating the middle of a banana first maybe??

When I read your post I realized I am actually doing better than I thought - yeah I eat the same things everyday for breakfast/lunch/snacks, but I do vary dinner everyday. I cook with spices, and do fine with cooked onion, garlic, etc.

I have made a bunch of the recipes off of the boards - like chicken stuffed shells, nova scotia chicken (love that one), carribean chicken, lemon dill chicken (that's really good too), etc. I use ground turkey in all of my recipes that call for ground beef...I've even made meatloaf with it...and I make turkey burgers with it a lot because it's such an easy meal.

I buy organic noodles and make spaghetti - I do fine with Newman's Own Marinara sauce.

Basically I am terrified of veggies, fish (I got sick off of salmon so many times because it's a fattier fish), restaurants, and other people's cooking.

I have never tried brown rice, I'm scared of it....so maybe I'll try that soon since you did and were ok!

--------------------
~Cara~

Cara new
      #139048 - 01/16/05 10:30 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I also think you are probably doing better than you thought! That's awesome that you made all those recipes! And have tried even onion and garlic. Wow, I am amazed. I'm still doing basic stuff: plaind baked chicken, etc. The thing is, I've never been stable, so I don't feel comfortable trying new things when I have yet to feel any better on the basic foods.

I do think you should try some white fish. I know Casey had a hard time with lots of salmon at one time, but the less fatty fish are easier. I like tilapia, seabass, orange roughy... Well I love all fish! But my favorite is tilapia!

I've been on the diet for months, and I mean months, even before I registered I was trying it. I understand that it takes longer for C people. (don't know if I'm C or A) I'm C during week and then D or A on weekends I'm finding lately! Guess because I have time in morning and not rushing.

I'll try your soy suggestion. Maybe I'll try some hummus on bread. Hummus is soy right? I don't know what it is! Or some soy milk. But that has carageenan in it and I read that can be a trigger too. See, afraid of every ingredient! UGH! Does your yogurt or soy milk contain carageenan?

So afraid of bananas. I keep buying them to try and they just go black cuz I always chicken out. I've read too many posts on how they cause gas and problems! If I read one bad thing it becomes a taboo food. I'm also afraid of marinara sauce or anything tomatoey!

You are doing better than you give yourself credit for. A lot of people on the boards and in real life eat the same things for breakfast and lunch because it's easy. What kind of cream of rice do you do? The nabisco brand plain white rice or a cream of brown rice type?

You never answered my question if you are taking an SFS at all or are you scared of those too? How long have you been doing the diet?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Feeling hopeless with reason new
      #139049 - 01/16/05 10:52 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thank you for your concern and your thoughtful response, and for just thinking of me, Natalie. It really touched me that you cared enough to post to me!

I am very depressed and frightened because as much as people can say it will get better, there is no guarentee that it will get better for me. Maybe Heather's diet doesn't work for everyone. I hope it will, but I have gotten no where! I try so hard to do it right. I swear I don't know what everyone else who is stable is doing that I am not. I have never been stable while doing this diet, even with just staying with the basic stuff and not trying the cooked onion or garlic or anything fancy. Never. If I could just feel a little progress, a baby step, that would give me hope. But that has not happened after months and months, I would say more than 6 months maybe.I lost count of when I started. That's why I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. But for the life of me, I don't know what it is.

I understand it takes longer for IBS-C people, but how much longer? I suppose trying to find the balance of tolerable insoluables is rough. And if I am never stable, how do I figure out if something I am eating is a trigger? How did you identify oatmeal as a problem for you? I assumed if it is on heathers safe list it should be safe. Period! So if food on the safe list is not safe for some, where do I begin? How do I know what is okay to eat when I've never been stable and can't figure out what my triggers are because I am always symptomatic? How do I adapt when I can't figure out what my needs are?

I do think I need the hypnotherapy! I totally believe in it! And I am desparate for some relief.

Do you take an SFS Natalie? I am having the hardest time finding one. That also makes this IBS more difficult. Is it a food that is causing a problem or is it the SFS and how do you differentiate?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Sorry Beth! new
      #139062 - 01/16/05 12:22 PM
Cara4503

I didn't answer all your questions...I was in a rush when I wrote that because my dogs were running around like maniacs and I had to leave to run errands....

YES I'm taking a SFS!! I'm on Heather's Acacia and love it. I take a little over 2 Tbsp a day. One before breakfast, one before dinner. I won't leave home w/o it! I just ordered 2 more bags today!

I have been on the diet for a year now - wow, time flies. I didn't even realize it's been a year.

I have some hummas, and I've never tried it! I'm a little scared of it for some weird reason, I'm sure it's safe! My sister suggested it and said it's great.

I'm not even sure what carageenen is!! It IS in the soy milk I buy - Silk....but there are so many kinds you can look at. It ISN'T in my soy yogurt - and that's Silk brand too - it's called Silk Cultured Soy Yogurt. I didn't like it that much at first, but now I LOVE it. Guess I just had to get used to that 'soy' taste.
As far as cream of rice - I just buy the regular white rice kind.

I do have to try more fish, I love fish and I used to eat it all the time. My fav is Halibut, I think that is safe because it's a lighter white fish, but it's so expensive and I'm scared of fish now anyways....

I think you should definately try bananas and marinara sauce, because if they are ok with you, they will make your life easier....I use marinara sauce for lots of stuff...for ex. spaghetti, calzones, etc. And bananas are great because you are eating fruit, and you can make smoothies with them - HEY, have you tried any of Heather's bread recipes??? THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! You could make the banana bread with your black bananas! And the pumpkin spice bread is amazing...I make that a lot -I gave some to two of my neighbors awhile ago and they raved about it FOREVER.

Also - I just thought of this - I buy unsweetened applesauce and eat that a lot...that's good for you and it's fruit - you should try that!

Alright I've got some girls coming over for a facial now so I have to go! Will write more later!

--------------------
~Cara~

Augie! new
      #139081 - 01/16/05 01:56 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I can completely understand how aweful you must feel...and its so weird cos there are so many days when I wish to god I was IBS-C cos it just wouldnt cause the endless fear of not making the toilet on time...and then I think of all of you lot and how people describe how terrible it is and I am thankful I dont. Like you I just assumed that everything on Heathers diet was 'safe' for me, cos she said so...and thats why I had so many problems getting stable...heathers diet is completely spot on...but like I said...we all have our own tolerances. I found oatmeal was a trigger for me cos literally 10 minutes after I eat it I feel ugh and have to go the toilet immediately! At first when that happened I just thought...oh well its safe it cant be that...and then I had to listen to my body and realise...no it is just me...I cant tolerate it! I can completely understand why its harder for IBS C people to get stable cos of the need to balance insolubles and solubles...for me basing the most on solubles and the least insolubles means less chance of d, which is obviously what I want. Seriously, about the hypno...get it as soon as you can...it really really will help you I am so sure it will. The only thing I can advise you about the food is to stick to solubles only and then increase by adding literally an insoluble at a time, one a day if needs be....maybe you've tried that already Im not sure?? Really listen to your body...how do you feel after you've eaten it...10 mintues later, 30 minutes later...the next day?? Thats what Ive had to do and it is soooo tedious...but worth every effort. And no I dont take a soluble fibre supplement...the reasons I dont is cos mainly Im a student and I cant afford to keep buying it all the time...and as Ive coped so far without it I havent felt the need....but when I did try acacia(and I have an unopened pack of it in my room) I did find it soothing on the stomach...I ended up forgetting to take it and never went back to trying again. I just think if I get used to it Id have to find the means of paying for it all the time...but I will try it again one day! I hope thats been of some help...and you're welcome to email me anytime over anything, its in my profile...keep us posted on everything, Im praying that things pick up for you soon xx

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review