All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Question about cheating new
      #138496 - 01/14/05 12:56 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Ok you are exactly describing me. I'm terrified of new things. I hate change....
I eat the same thing EVERY day pretty much! Dinner varies between the recipes in Heather's book...but breakfast and lunch are always the same....I watch a few little kids in the neighborhood a couple days a week, and everyday at lunch they ask what I'm having. After about 3 days there was a 2 year old saying, 'you eat the same thing, you cant eat the same thing all the time'.

I'm a wuss, I'm just so scared of feeling like crap.

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: You guys are speaking my language new
      #138527 - 01/14/05 02:26 PM
abcsmom

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Minnesota

I just recently started browsing these boards, and this is my first time posting. This is exactly what's happening to me. I had a couple of bad weeks and not I've gone to a complete soluble fiber diet. I throw in some insoluble fiber here and there, but very little. Now I think I've completely screwed my body up. Anytime I eat anything with a little fat in it, I'm running for the bathroom. I'm starting to worry because it seems that I can't eat any fat at all, even something with a few grams. This is crazy! So I eat white rice, oatmeal, and Honeycomb cereal and drink water and peppermint tea. I shouldn't complain, the weight is dropping like crazy, but I think I'm doing myself more harm than good. In fact, my doctor told me yesterday that I should just continue what I'm doing because it's good for my weight. Yep, she seems well-informed, huh. I think I've run out of things to mix-in with my white rice. I guess I need to slowly add some low-fat items back into my diet in the hopes that my body will get used to it again. Any tips?

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I have such a great time reading them.

#138553 - 01/14/05 03:06 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I used to cheat when I first started changing my diet for IBS (over a yr ago, not w/ Heather's diet but similar) but now I do very rarely since I feel so much better if I don't and, like you, I'm scared!! I totally identify with you since I'm always afraid to try new things since I fear they will trigger an attack too! I am especially afraid of restaurants, and recently on vacation I practically lived on rice cakes because I was so afraid to eat out!! I was even afraid to try some of Heather's recipes, but I have been successful with them and felt okay (yay!). So try to incorporate maybe just one new food or one new recipe into your regular staples and see if that works. It's hard, though, I know exactly what you mean about fearing the unknown! I don't have the answers either, I am still more afraid than not!

--------------------
~Angela

#138558 - 01/14/05 03:19 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Abby and everybody else,

You HAVE to get more variety in your diet for the sake of your long-term health. I repeat, YOU HAVE TO get more variety in your diet. I understand your fears, but as a friend of mine says, "Face the fear and do it anyway."

I would strongly suggest that each of you pick one new food to add to your diet this week, and just eat one serving of it. Then watch how you feel. And I'm not talking something extreme like a hot fudge sundae or a steak and french fried onion rings, I'm talking a new veggie, like sweet potato or peas, or one of Heather's sweet breads for breakfast instead of toast, or a soy milk and banana smoothie instead of just a banana.

Then next week eat that food again, plus another new one. Set yourselves goals and push yourselves through the fear and just do it. That's not cheating, that's eating a healthy well rounded diet.

Okay? And I want to see you post about what you've tried, so that others can try them too.

Yes, I have a bite of chocolate cake, but I also have broccoli. Yes, I have a little cheese but I also have whole wheat toast. C'mon ladies, you can do it!! I've been stable for a year, and I eat much more variety than any of you have described.

If you have any specific questions about how to eat something safely just ask. But don't let fear rule your life. Have FAITH, Heather's diet works. You don't have to eat the same five foods everyday. Trust me. Okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#138563 - 01/14/05 03:32 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thanks for all the replies - I know that I definitely need to try new things and I want to very badly! It just seems like everytime I do - it ends up bad =( Like last week instead of rice I had mashed potatoes (with NOTHING in them) and I was sick all the next day. A lot of the time I think that its because I worry soooo much after eating something different. Its like I just sit there for hours waiting for an attack to begin. Ive tried adding things like peas and carrots before too and I never dare eat more than like 5 peas and 2 little carrot bites! I seriously think that 75% of my IBS is from me stressing and worrying so much. Before I got on the boards (and dont get me wrong I LOVE the Boards and they have helped me a ton) I used to eat a donut here and there, salad, cheese, and lots more and it never really bothered my stomach as long as it wasnt too much of it. But now that I know what causes attacks and whats on the "BAD" list I avoid EVERYTHING! Its like an obsession =( Anyways My goal is to add more variety but Ill let everyone know how it goes! For those of you that eat the same thing everyday - do you mind telling us what exactly it is?? Maybe we can all swap foods around =)

I second LS's post! Variety! -nt- new
      #138596 - 01/14/05 04:31 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#138603 - 01/14/05 04:58 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Hi Abby, it broke my heart to read your post and recognize myself 1 year ago. I once weighed 106, I now am battling to stay at 88 lbs. I wish to God I had know of the things Heather has given us before I got sick. I instead did exactly what you and others here have felt we had no choice to do. We limited our intake and cut to only a few safe foods and fear ruled the rest. I have to take meds now because the idea of eating those foods scares the begeebers out of me. It's going to be a fight for my life right now. And I was under the care of some of the best GI and physcians. They couldn't stop this fear I had, Finding this site may save my life. I encourage you to follow the advice of Laura and Heather and pick one or two new items and get them worked into your GOOD list. Take care of yourself, and deal with the fear like an old friend that suddenly wants to take over your life and drive you out. Deal with the fear first and embrace the anixiety and you will be surprised at how quickly the fear of an attack will go away. Best Wishes...

#138610 - 01/14/05 05:17 PM
Cara4503

I eat cream of rice for breakfast, and a banana. Sometimes around 10:00 I make a smoothie - banana, strawberries, vanilla soy milk, and honey. Or I'll eat a Luna Bar...
Then for lunch I eat PB&J (REDUCED FAT PB!!), soy yogurt, and baked lays. For dinner it's usually chicken and a baked potato.

I actually added in a salad last week, and did ok!! I ate it after the baked potato, and it was very small. I was very excited though, because I was PETRIFIED of that salad. And like you, Abby, I sit there for hours WAITING for an attack....you sound just like me.

I think I'm doing ok as far as fruits go...I am just awful with veggies, they scare me to death. One time I ate about 4 green beans and then got really nervous so I stopped.

It's an obsession for me too.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Cara new
      #138633 - 01/14/05 06:32 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thats basically what I eat too - have you ever had a problem with reduced fat peanut butter - thats one of things I would LOVE to be able to eat, I just havent tried it yet. I used to eat salad with EVERY dinner before IBS - maybe I will try and be brave and eat a very small one. Did you put dressing on it? I do the same thing with green beans - so I pretty much ruled them out! Im going to try sweet potatoes tonight though - I'll prolly only take one bite but I guess ya gotta start somewhere - thanks for the reply!

Re: Cara new
      #138637 - 01/14/05 06:41 PM
Cara4503

Hey girl. Nope, I never had a problem with RF peanut butter! I buy Jif. I was SO happy the first time I ate it and had no problem. I eat it with grape jelly (not sugar free!) on white bread. I ate it on saltines once too and I was fine!

For the salad- I put Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinagrette on it - it's AWESOME, and I can eat it with no problem! It's expensive...but it's so good I could drink it. LOL. Jk. I have a very weak stomach too when it comes to new things - so I think you should try it!

Let me know how the sweet potatoes goes! I'm scared to eat those for some reason. I've never eaten one in my life actually, so if you try it and it's good and safe, maybe I will!

Did you get sick off of green beans?? I wnat to try them again, I'm just so scared. I just can't think of another veggie that would be safe! I HATE carrots, so that's out....really I don't like too many veggies at all except corn, and there's no way I'm touching that!

By the way - how are the puppies?!?!?

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review