All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Question about cheating
      #138412 - 01/14/05 09:44 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was wondering how often - if at all - everyone cheats on the diet? I mean from something as small as a bite of chocolate cake to something like a full icecream sundae. Im asking this because I am terrified to eat ANYTHING that Ive seen people on the boards post about having an attack from - and after being on here for close to a year that really adds up. I used to try different things every once in awhile - but now Im to the point where I eat the EXACT same thing every single day and its been this way for a very long time. I eat toast and a banana for breakfast, a turkey burger with baked lays and rice noodles at lunch and chicken and rice or potatoes for dinner. The only other thing I eat is angel food cake and cereal here and there. I know this is not good for me at all but Im too scared to try anything else. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about cheating new
      #138426 - 01/14/05 10:29 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I am the exact same way- My breakfast every day is oatmeal. Lunch is aturkey breast sandwich or tunafish, snacks are graham crackers, genisoy soy crisps, applesauce, supper is chicken, fish (haddock) carrots, potatoes. I recently (within the last 3 days) have tried to expand somewhat- I started eating peas, & red beets. Last night I made the berrie smoothie and that was good- except I felt VERY Full as I had it about an hour after supper and I was full as it was because I didn't have a bm alllll dayyyyyy. But just so you know- I am the same way I am so afraid to try new things--- I get confused on understanding how I know if something didn't "agree" with me.. I know they say only experiment with one new food a t a time- that way it is easier to pinpoint what bothered you-

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#138432 - 01/14/05 10:37 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Well Im glad to hear that there is someone out there like me! So the berry smoothie didnt cause an attack? Ive always wanted to try one of those but my body hasnt had hardly any fruit or soymilk in a LONG time so I thought it would be awful to do! Thats how I am with anything - I figure that since my body isnt used to ANYTHING else that no matter what it is that I try is going to cause an attack.

Exactly the same.... new
      #138438 - 01/14/05 10:50 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Im the same, eat pretty similar things, if I indulge and then have an attack...its like I never wana try it again. The list of things that I wont eat is endless...even if it wasnt maybe that that caused the attack. Im too scared too! If people mention things...just like when I started heathers diet...then yea, thats it Im just too terrified to even go there!!

--------------------
Natalie

#138439 - 01/14/05 10:55 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Depends on your definition of cheating! I do eat raw fruit a couple of times a day, but then I'm C-predominant. I also eat whole-wheat bread, for the same reason.

Now if you're talking about real cheats like a slice of pizza or more than just a nibble of chocolate, I try to keep those down to twice a week or less. If I do it more than that, I'm sure to feel crappy, even if I don't progress to a full attack.

I think I've gotten more resilient with trigger foods by doing the hypno program. I used to give myself attacks just by worrying about what I had just eaten, but hypno has really helped break that cycle. Remember that anxiety is just as much of a trigger as fat!

--AC

#138447 - 01/14/05 11:05 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Nope the berrie smoothie was fine- But one thing- it is made with ice, so I let it sit for a little while to bring it down to room temperature. When you ask if it brought on an attack- that word I use very loosely, I have cramps NO MATTER what I eat- even the "good foods". If I eat things I am not supossed to well then that is terrible pain--- I felt like I normally did after having the berrie smoothie- Suggestion-- Why not make the smoothie and instead of drinking the whole glass why not just try drinking half of it and seeing how you react to it- If you're okay then step up to a little more.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Regarding cheating new
      #138470 - 01/14/05 11:57 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do moderate and controlled cheating which really prevents big cheating. The last time I cheated was Sept 5 or so and I got bad for weeks (although it might have been stress). However doesn't Heather say when you are doing ok I little bite of dessert is okay after dinner? This is the sort of cheating I do. Like last week I had 2 bites of pumpkin cake after eating safe food or if we go out to eat I will have 2 bites of hub's dessert. I try to still stay away from dairy and high fat together for my tiny treats and I only have a treat very rarely. The problem is when I am in a bad streak I still want to cheat those little things and I had better not. I will also bake or cook something for others and try one bite to test taste it. These sort of things to me are absolute necessities. If I could never ever have a nibble of anything but the basics I had rather not live. But like I said I do it very rarely and very moderately.

As for your diet, it is probably better to play it safe until YOU FEEL it is time to break out of the rut. On the other hand maybe trying other safe food for lunch and dinner that is pretty close but not exact to what you are eating would be good. I guess in the long run you could get vitamin and iron deficient if you don't widen out your diet. You really ought to try some fruits and veg for your health. But do it gradually so you don't stress out about it. Maybe try some of Heather's breads and stuff instead of angel food cake. For instance pumpkin or zucchini bread will give you more nutrition. Also try other root vegetables instead of potatoes (which have little nutrition) since they won't be any harder to tolerate. Ok those are some ideas. Best of luck to you!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#138475 - 01/14/05 12:11 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

I understand your concerns about cheating. I've been very bad with cheating and have suffered the price. I take bentyle which really helps me tollerate insoluble fiber foods and even dairy. I do love the recipes from the index. They are great, but you can modify them to meet your own needs. Give some of the recipes a try. Just remember to take a soluble fiber supplement before eating.
Good Luck,

Cloudygirl

#138477 - 01/14/05 12:18 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

Cheating could be interpretated different ways. I usually try not to really chat ever, like an ice cream sundae or pizza - no way...ever...it's not worth it to me. However, if I'm craving sweets or something that wouldn't be good for me, I try to have RKT or something that I can make that would be considered safe...then I feel like I kind of cheated, but still feel ok.

#138480 - 01/14/05 12:22 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

How long have you been taking Bentyl?? I took it for about 1.5 years and the first year was great...it helped so much and now it does nothing for me. So my GI took me off of it and I haven't noticed too much difference. I was hoping that maybe I could take it up again after my body wears off the immunity to it or whatever it is that it doesn't work anymore!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45304

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review