All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Me too-totally obsessed new
      #138640 - 01/14/05 06:45 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I so much identify with what you just wrote! I have become obnoxiously obsessed with what goes into my mouth, never ever eating anything that may be a trigger. Not only the really obvious ones (dairy, fat, red meat) but even the ones that may be triggers like tomato product, citris fruits, soy... I eat the same things every day and never ever cheat!

And I too feel that I could eat more types of foods without as much reactions before reading what I wasn't suppose to be eating! I often wish I had never seen the list of foods because I am totally obsessed with this diet now! That's just the nature of my own personality. I am rigid and extremely anxious over everything that goes into my mouth. And I do think my IBS wasn't as bad when I had more freedom with my food. I just ate! No thinking or anxiety. Not obvious bad stuff,like dairy but just everyday normal foods! No thought, just eating like everyone else. Not looking at every ingredient on a store bought prepared food just to make sure there wasn't a trace of whey or casein!

And if I visit my grandma or go to a family get together I often can't eat anything and these "celebrations" have become more stressful than celebratory. I can't eat anything unless I know exactly what ingredients the person put into the food. Not something easily asked!

Don't get me wrong, I had pretty bad IBS then too! So that wasn't working too well either! But the anxiety and food obsessions were not to the degree that they are now.

Like you said, I love the support and encouragement this board provides, but I am anxious all the time about this IBS now. I think maybe the majority of my symptoms may be from the stress and anxiety of fear eating and what I will feel like. It has over taken my life and how I live, what I do, where I work, EVERYTHING!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Not Healthy new
      #138657 - 01/14/05 07:42 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hi everyone,
I'm far from qualified to diagnose anyone, but a lot of what people are saying on this thread reminded me of something I read about: an eating disorder that is defined by an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy foods. You can read about it here: web page. Again, I'm not saying any of you are suffering from this -- I just want to remind everyone that moderation is key in all things.
Hope everyone is feeling better soon.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Not Healthy new
      #138658 - 01/14/05 07:57 PM
Augie

Thanks Amanda Panda. I now have a name for how I think. Hope there's a way to overcome this obsession. It's taken over my life. No exageration. I'm sure you can see reflected in any of my posts.

But don't we need to be obsessed, just as a diabetic must be obsessed with their diet? I thought by having IBS we needed to be this way to stay safe or get stable.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: You guys are speaking my language new
      #138670 - 01/14/05 08:13 PM
maestro

Reged: 01/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Hello!

I've been browsing the boards this week and this is my first time posting. My IBS started 6 years ago this summer and in the beginning it was TERRIBLE. I switched to a low fat diet which closely resembled the IBS diet and still had problems. But slowly I eliminated the stress, learned my triggers and was able to add new foods to my "safe list" But I do remember what a frustrating time it was for me, you feel very limited by what you can eat, but you are nervous to try new things. I am fortunate to be able to manage my IBS through diet and paying attention to triggers (dairy, hormonal changes, red meat, etc). I think it's important to try and incorporate new foods (for nutritional needs and to alleviate boredom) but one at a time and keep a log of how your system reacts. I don't have symptoms on a daily basis but there are a lot things I will never eat again.

Hang in there!

Re: Question about cheating new
      #138746 - 01/15/05 05:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I second what Laura Sue said... YOU NEED to eat more variety... EXPERIMENT.. There are wonderful recipes on this site... and in heathers books.. and each persons limits are unique but eating that little amount of variety in food over a long term is NOT healthy for you. yes people have had attacks from things, but thats because each of us tolerates things differently. so far I've had the same foods as the rest of the family except for the salad and some of the raw veggies and only had very minor issues here on this trip. With 10 people to feed there have been plenty of choices.. I haven't eaten huge amounts of some things because I was wary, and others I have skipped in favor of other vegetables... particularly things that cause large amounts of gas in healthy people like cauliflower- which isn't a favorite anyway... and I even picked out of moms vegetable chili night before last.

just be cautious when adding new foods- I did one every few days so if it triggered a problem I knew it... and some things like hot peppers I can handle in small amounts and not large... fine with me, and DH the hot foods fan can cope.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Wow new
      #138756 - 01/15/05 06:42 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

IT's like I wrote that post, Beth! You sound JUST like me, and how I feel. I am obsessed with what goes in my mouth too...I read EVERY ingredient in everything...I haven't gone out to eat once since I started this diet, and everytime we go away for the weekend it's a HUGE hassle. I bring EVERY single meal with me! I have even gone as far as to bring our microwave and toaster to a hotel once! I just am way to scared to eat anything anyone else prepared, and it's such a pain.

For Thanksgiving, we were at my parents house, which I was thankful of because I am more comfortable with my mom...but still, while everyone at Thanksgiving dinner, I made mine myself!

I hope I can get over this fear - but if I get attacks from eating other things, it'll just make the obsession even stronger.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have not had a single bite of ANYTHING on the trigger list for almost a year now since I started this diet.

Maybe we can help eachother, like LS said....if we try one new thing a week and post about it. I would love to expand my diet. And I would LOVE to go to eat again, my hubby misses it so much and it makes me feel awful - but I am just so scared of restaurants.

--------------------
~Cara~

Relieved at your response-long post new
      #138764 - 01/15/05 07:58 AM
Augie

After posting last night I was going to go in and edit the post this am because I was afraid you all would think I was obnoxiously obsessed-- a little nutty to put it in a politically incorrect manner!

So does it take you hours to grocery shop too, reading all those darn labels? That's also one reason it is easier to eat the same things--not having to read new labels!

At the place I just started working, the 3 other woman all eat together every friday. They order out from restaurants. It's a Friday tradition.It is so embarrassing to be sitting with them as they eat their thai or pizza or whatever the decide on while I eat my plain GF bread and turkey breast every single day! They don't say anything but then I get more anxiety because I worry about what they are thinking. Like I'm weird or something.

They also take people out for their birthdays to restaurants and there are two coming up shortly. I am already working myself up over how I am going to manage this one. Can't exactly bring a turkey sandwich with me to the restaurant! I have already went out with them at Christmas and it was a disaster. I ordered plain white rice and a plain chicken breast. What I got was a plate full of Yellow (so much butter) rice and a greasy grilled chicken breast with gobs of oil on it and herbs of who knows what origin. I embarrasingly asked for white rice again, and after a hassle (the waitress didn't speak english that well, she had to get another waitress for me to explain it to, and the second waitress needed to ask the manager, and then she came back and said it would take 45 minutes to make my special request. I was humiliated. The others were just sitting there quietly and had already finished their meals! I then asked for a plain baked potato instead and since it was lunch, they said they couldn't make one until 4. The point is, I was totally humiliated, I hate restaurants, and I know my coworkers will be going out again shortly, so I can't avoid this situation. There are only 4 of us, so my abscence would be noticed. And I don't want them to think I have an "eating problem" or that I am a snob. They look foreward to their friday lunches and any excuse to go out to a restaurant. For me it brings so much anxiety, I start getting sick weeks before just from anticipation! I'm rambling. Sorry.

My holidays were the same. Everyone passed the food around and I sat there with my own bowl of plain boiled potatos and plain carrots.

Everytime I go to grandmas she offers me cake and icecream or homemade cookies and always wants me to stay and have dinner with her. I know I hurt her feelings when I pass on all this. She is 86 and doesn't understand and doesn't remember that I can't have dairy, etc. So we go through this every visit. I don't want to not see her, don't know how much longer she will be around, but it is so hurtful to her. For grandmas feeding you= love!

I agree, attacks from new foods would only enforce the obsession and make me leery of venturing again. I have expanded some, with Casey's suggestions. I have added canned peaches and pears, some cooked spinach and cooked green beans, and even tried 1/2 portion of brown rice combined with my white rice. But that's about all the experimenting I've done in the past year also. Plus since I eat only GF foods, my diet is more rigid. No pretzels, bagels, crackers, homemade breads, not even oatmeal!

It is a relief to know I am not alone with being so afraid. Yes, maybe we can all work on this together like LS said. But that would mean eating new foods. I knew there was a problem with that suggestion

For what it's worth, nothing bad happened to me when I did add the canned pears, peaches, and those 2 veggies. Nothing worse than my usual symptoms. I am very symptomatic right now, so what do I have to lose, I tell myself! If I were stable I might be even more leery to screw up a good thing. But on the other hand, not being stable, I think maybe I should stick to the "what to eat" diet. But I am C and that didn't work. I know I need my insolubles. Actually today I am a D out of the blue for some reason. Oh this IBS has a mind of it's own. Or was it from the sweet potato I tried substituting for my turkey sandwhich for lunch yesterday? See I tried and I feel all gurgly and yucky and squishy inside today. And sore and rumbly. Was it my new food?

Are you guys C or D by the way? Are you all currentlly stable? Not that it matters. We all are afraid of food and the effects it may bring to our bodies! I know this is a major obessession for me. I think that perhaps my fear and anxiety is more detrimental to my tummy than the actual food.

Okay,I am planning on making Casey's Potato Chowder Soup this weekend. A new recipe! Will I have the nerve to add the onion that it calls for in the recipe? Maybe I'll try 1/4 an onion. Maybe not!

Have you looked at the recipes on the exchange board or in heathers Eating for IBS book! Scary! Onions, garlic, nutmeg (I read is hard on tummys), peppers!, celery, oh my. Did you see the thread on this earlier in the week. I think, are these recipe posters really people with IBS! I wish I could add onion and garlic. Who knows, maybe I could. But when people without IBS can get gas and such from beans, onions and garlic, why would I even risk it? I'll let you know what I do with the soup. I'm leaning towards skipping the onion altogher. I don't know if I am ready for it yet, even though it is already bought!

Sorry so long. I am amazed you eat soy milk, soy yogurt, or bananas. I am afraid of soy and bananas because I've read so many people have gotten gas and bloating from them. I didn't want to risk it. How have you guys done with that. Please post any new foods you guys try and let me know how it goes for you. Please! You can all email me too! I would love to get feedback from all the other "scaredy cats" out there!

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Beth & Cara new
      #138767 - 01/15/05 08:26 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Well after reading both of your posts I can say that we are all 3 exactly the same. I really think we could help eachother out because I am soooo ready to add variety - especially after reading everyones posts reminding me how unhealthy it is to eat the same thing everyday. I dont want to add any other health problems to my list
I am just getting sooo sick of being sick all the time that its driving me insane. It seems like it has ruined almost every part of my life - I barely talk to my friends anymore, Im never 100% happy, I cant eat at restaurants or other people's houses, I avoid my husband's family get-togethers because of the food and all the questions, and TONS more. On the other hand though - I have the best husband in the world - I dont think I could get through this without him. Anyways to answer some of Beth's questions - Im pretty sure Im an IBS A and I dont really think Im stable right now. It seems like everytime I start to think that I am stable then Im sick the whole next day My biggest problem right now is just feeling like crap after dinner every night - I eat dinner at around 6:30 or so and by about 9:30 I usually feel really full or bloated and my stomach just feels unsettled - almost like I have D but it never ends up that way.
Do you guys ever wonder if your stomach does the same things that other Healthy people's stomachs do but you just stress out over it and wait for every gurgle, movement, and noise that it makes. I always quiz my husband on exactly what his stomach does after meals so see if Im just obsessing over mine! Anyways I will post every food I try and we'll try to beat this thing together!!

- Stacey

Abby new
      #138772 - 01/15/05 08:34 AM
Augie

Do you eat any veggies at all. Maybe start out with some cooked carrots or squash. These I have even added! That might be a safe place to add in veggies.

Also,is your turkey burger homemade? I am scared of the frozen ones. No I'm thinking of the veggie burgers or Boca burgers.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Cara new
      #138773 - 01/15/05 08:36 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Hey Cara - I think I will definitely give the Reduced Fat PB a try and the salad too! I actually chickened out on the sweet potatoes last night but I do plan on giving them a try REALLY soon. I did get sick after I ate green beans - but its really hard to beleive thats what made me sick since I only ate probably 2 or 3 of them! But with me thats all it takes. I really want to change though - thats my New Year's resolution! I also want to gain weight which obviously wont happen if I dont eat more foods! Awhile back there was some posts about this powder drink called RELIV - I was looking at it and its basically all vitamins and says that its like getting all the vitamins and minerals you get from eating vegetables and fruits. Anyways a couple of people on the boards tried it and really liked it so Ive been thinking about trying it myself. I know all I would do is buy a can of it and let it sit in my cupboard until it went bad though like all the protein powders that I bought and never tried!
The puppies are doing so good - they are ADORABLE!!! I tried to upload some new pictures of them on photobucket and it wouldnt let me. Maybe Ill go try again right now! Anyways thanks so much for your reply - I LOVE hearing other peoples stories that relate to me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4664 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review