All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My body is unable to absorb iron and synthroid....
      #138403 - 01/14/05 09:36 AM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

I'm actually going to have to have iron I.V. on monday... they keep adjusting my thyroid meds, too... because of the acid reducing stomach meds i have taken for yrs. my body is not absorbing iron at all.. has anyone here ever heard of this.... thanks marilyn

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My body is unable to absorb iron and synthroid.... new
      #138416 - 01/14/05 09:55 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

My body doesn't absorb iron in pill or food form..so I was getting IV iron. I had gotten it once a week for 10 weeks - took a break for 4 weeks..then needed it again for 5 straight weeks (once a week). My hematologist says the iron stores in my marrow bone should be good for 6 months..then we will test again. It is no big deal..and it will help you feel better. Good luck

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#138476 - 01/14/05 12:17 PM
dmiller

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: VA, USA

Hi I'm hypothyroid too,

I know that you can not take iron and thyroid meds together, it's either the iron gets in the way or the thyroid meds, or the other way around. Are you taking a suppliment with iron at the same time as your thyroid pill?

I use to be on levothroid, but switched to the natural pill, Armour (not synthetic), have been doing well on that, I take it subligually (which means I leave it under my tongue or inbetween my cheek and gums and let it disolve), it's suppost to get into the body better that way. You might talk to your doctor to see if he/she can prescribe a natural thyroid medication, maybe you can't do well with the synthetics. although I know ALOT of doctors will not prescribe it, they will tell you there are consistancy issues, which I can honestly say I have not had a problem with in the last year and a half I've been on it, and I feel better then I did on synthetic. I couldn't find an Endo to prescribe it, but my family doctor office, actually my nurse practicioner did for me.

I hope this helps a little, if you want to look into the Armour thyroid do a search, also there is a yahoo group about it, I think it's called naturalthyroid or something like that, where I researched it before I decided to go with it.

Take care,
Debra

#138560 - 01/14/05 03:26 PM
mspaschal259

hey great.... thanks for sharing your experiences.
wow, you had to have alot of iron iv meds.. i hope to feel alot better , too.

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

#138562 - 01/14/05 03:30 PM
mspaschal259

thanks for your input, too. I take my synthroid first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.. then i wait 2 hrs before taking my stomach meds... they just go up real high on thyroid dosage.. then i take iron much later in the day.

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4023 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1287

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review