All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Does Triphala work for C? Is it harmful?
      #137906 - 01/12/05 09:13 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I've read about this herb in a vitamin magazine and have heard it mentioned on here as well. Does this stuff work? Is it safe to use long term? I'd like to try it, but curious if anyone has any feedback before I go buy it.

Thanks!
Jessica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does Triphala work for C? Is it harmful? new
      #138158 - 01/13/05 05:13 PM
jessica28

Does anyone know about this stuff? Heather? I just want to know more before I go spend money on yet ANOTHER thing to help my C?!!

#138578 - 01/14/05 03:59 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Jessica,

I'm bumping this up for you. I don't know, but maybe someone else does. Did you do a search?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#138623 - 01/14/05 05:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have heard of this many times. I am an IBS-D so this would be disaterous for me!

Triphala is composed of three fruits, namely Harada(haritaki), Amla(amalaki) and Behada(bibhitaki). Triphala is the most popular Ayurvedic herbal formula of India, since it is an effective laxative which also supports the body's strength.

That said, it can be very strong so I would take it in very small doses.

Here's an interestimg article for you to read.

http://healthyherbs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=healthyherbs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.planetherbs.com%2Farticles%2Ftriphala.html

Jessica, you know.. new
      #138798 - 01/15/05 09:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I take this. But like you when I did a search on the boards I found nothing. And when I posted the question like 2 times, nobody responded.

So I decided to take it based on what I've read about it on the web. Dr. Andrew Weil promotes this herb as safe, non addicting treatment for constipation. It is suppose to be something that the bowels don't become dependent on. Actually it seems like it is suppose to help the bowels get stronger. I took that as triphala helps "heal" and strengthen the bowesls. I don't know. But after much research, I made a choice to try it. Am I scared it may be causing harm? Sort of. But I haven't come across anything that says it is bad. All the stuff on the web has said positive things about it.

Let me know what you decide to do and how it goes for you. I know you are probably leery not to get into laxatives. I don't think this herb is one. But no one else on the board has seemed to have heard about it to give an opinion.

Please keep me udated on what you do. I am the sole guinie pig on this treatment so far. Would love some company!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Jessica, you know.. new
      #138898 - 01/15/05 04:33 PM
jessica28

Ah, forgot about you taking it...sorry. I know you are not having much luck with any of the stuff you are taking, and I'm sorry to hear that. How long have you taken the Triphala? How many millgrams and how often? I just ordered some that are 1000 mg from an herb store, so I'll let you know what happens when I start them. I too haven't read anything bad, so we'll see, huh? I'm just thinking this stuff sounds better than the Oxypowder...I told you about that stuff right??

Jessica

Re: Jessica new
      #138938 - 01/15/05 07:53 PM
Augie

No need to apologize, sweetie. I just thought you knew I took it from all my posts on what I take!

I started it about 3 months ago. I started with a brand called Himalaya pure hurbs and took 500 mg a day, then 500mg 2 times a day. It worked well for me in the beginning. But then I felt I needed more as my C got worse this past month. So I changed brands to one that had more mg in a tablet. So now I am taking Planetary Formulas which is probably the one you ordered because this brand also has 1000 mg in one tablet. I started at 1 tablet 2 times a day, and am now at 2000mg 2 times a day. For a total of 4000mg a day.Thats what the bottle directions recommend.

I honestly feel that when I was first taking the triphala it was working and that it will work for you. I think my battle with C right now is more stress related as it started the same time I began a new job which I do not like, find very stressful and tiring, and I am very depressed and struggling with my mistake to leave my old job. I made a huge mistake and I think this stress and regret is the main cause of my current C.

When I first began the triphala is was great. So, have hope that it will work for you. And yes, I believe it is much better for you than the oxypowder.

Even though I was taking less with the Himalaya brand (those tablets are only 250 mg and the directions say to take a total of 1000mg a day) I may try them again. Even though it is a lot less mg, maybe my body liked that brand better. Who knows.

You know, I'm reading the labels on the two bottles now and the ingredients of the triphala are totally different! I thought triphala was the same three herbs! The Hamalaya says: Amalaki, Vibhitaka, and Haritak and that's all.
The Planetary brand says:Chebulic Myrobalan fruit, amla fruit, and belleric myrobalan fruit, plus this one has vit C, and some modified cellulose gums, stearic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate.

I am totally confused now. I thought the fruits were suppose to be the same. Do you think these are the same fruits but different names for them? I'll need to do some internet researching and ask at the HFS tomorrow! They probably won't be able to help much though.

Which brand did you get?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Jessica new
      #138941 - 01/15/05 08:09 PM
jessica28

I too ordered the Plantery brand. I'll see how it works and maybe I'll try the other one if it doesn't work as well. Thanks!! I'll keep you posted.

Jessica

Triphala new
      #138952 - 01/15/05 08:49 PM
Augie

Here is some info from the Himalaya brand web page .Apparently, the "fruits" are the same, but go by different names? At least that what it appears to me.

Please let me know how it goes for you. As this article says, it may take up to 2 weeks to notice a difference. So stick with it. BTW you can get this at whole foods or a HFS so you don't have to pay for shipping and it may be cheaper.

Maybe I will try the other brand again,just as an experiment. I don't understand the big difference in dosage. The himalaya brand says 1000mg a day and the Planetary says 4000mg. Big difference.

One thing that does alarm me, that I just learned tonight, is that the haritaki has fructose as an "ingredient" and fructose is a trigger for many with IBS. Oh my, more confusion. Maybe I should stop this altogether. Fructose intolerance is big with IBS. It seems like the harder I try to find something, I always find something bad about it. Why can't there just be one good thing with no triggers or bad things in it I don't know if I should stop this now! What do you guys think?

Yet that same fruit it says reduces intestinal spasms!

Take Care Jessica.

--------------------
~ Beth

tummy herb.. new
      #139178 - 01/16/05 08:20 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

youve taken that herb?? what does it do? does it really work like a laxative or is it more of a stool softener that works well when paired with SFS??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6580

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review