All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Does Triphala work for C? Is it harmful?
      #137906 - 01/12/05 09:13 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I've read about this herb in a vitamin magazine and have heard it mentioned on here as well. Does this stuff work? Is it safe to use long term? I'd like to try it, but curious if anyone has any feedback before I go buy it.

Thanks!
Jessica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does Triphala work for C? Is it harmful? new
      #138158 - 01/13/05 05:13 PM
jessica28

Does anyone know about this stuff? Heather? I just want to know more before I go spend money on yet ANOTHER thing to help my C?!!

#138578 - 01/14/05 03:59 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Jessica,

I'm bumping this up for you. I don't know, but maybe someone else does. Did you do a search?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#138623 - 01/14/05 05:59 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I have heard of this many times. I am an IBS-D so this would be disaterous for me!

Triphala is composed of three fruits, namely Harada(haritaki), Amla(amalaki) and Behada(bibhitaki). Triphala is the most popular Ayurvedic herbal formula of India, since it is an effective laxative which also supports the body's strength.

That said, it can be very strong so I would take it in very small doses.

Here's an interestimg article for you to read.

http://healthyherbs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=healthyherbs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.planetherbs.com%2Farticles%2Ftriphala.html

Jessica, you know.. new
      #138798 - 01/15/05 09:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I take this. But like you when I did a search on the boards I found nothing. And when I posted the question like 2 times, nobody responded.

So I decided to take it based on what I've read about it on the web. Dr. Andrew Weil promotes this herb as safe, non addicting treatment for constipation. It is suppose to be something that the bowels don't become dependent on. Actually it seems like it is suppose to help the bowels get stronger. I took that as triphala helps "heal" and strengthen the bowesls. I don't know. But after much research, I made a choice to try it. Am I scared it may be causing harm? Sort of. But I haven't come across anything that says it is bad. All the stuff on the web has said positive things about it.

Let me know what you decide to do and how it goes for you. I know you are probably leery not to get into laxatives. I don't think this herb is one. But no one else on the board has seemed to have heard about it to give an opinion.

Please keep me udated on what you do. I am the sole guinie pig on this treatment so far. Would love some company!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Jessica, you know.. new
      #138898 - 01/15/05 04:33 PM
jessica28

Ah, forgot about you taking it...sorry. I know you are not having much luck with any of the stuff you are taking, and I'm sorry to hear that. How long have you taken the Triphala? How many millgrams and how often? I just ordered some that are 1000 mg from an herb store, so I'll let you know what happens when I start them. I too haven't read anything bad, so we'll see, huh? I'm just thinking this stuff sounds better than the Oxypowder...I told you about that stuff right??

Jessica

Re: Jessica new
      #138938 - 01/15/05 07:53 PM
Augie

No need to apologize, sweetie. I just thought you knew I took it from all my posts on what I take!

I started it about 3 months ago. I started with a brand called Himalaya pure hurbs and took 500 mg a day, then 500mg 2 times a day. It worked well for me in the beginning. But then I felt I needed more as my C got worse this past month. So I changed brands to one that had more mg in a tablet. So now I am taking Planetary Formulas which is probably the one you ordered because this brand also has 1000 mg in one tablet. I started at 1 tablet 2 times a day, and am now at 2000mg 2 times a day. For a total of 4000mg a day.Thats what the bottle directions recommend.

I honestly feel that when I was first taking the triphala it was working and that it will work for you. I think my battle with C right now is more stress related as it started the same time I began a new job which I do not like, find very stressful and tiring, and I am very depressed and struggling with my mistake to leave my old job. I made a huge mistake and I think this stress and regret is the main cause of my current C.

When I first began the triphala is was great. So, have hope that it will work for you. And yes, I believe it is much better for you than the oxypowder.

Even though I was taking less with the Himalaya brand (those tablets are only 250 mg and the directions say to take a total of 1000mg a day) I may try them again. Even though it is a lot less mg, maybe my body liked that brand better. Who knows.

You know, I'm reading the labels on the two bottles now and the ingredients of the triphala are totally different! I thought triphala was the same three herbs! The Hamalaya says: Amalaki, Vibhitaka, and Haritak and that's all.
The Planetary brand says:Chebulic Myrobalan fruit, amla fruit, and belleric myrobalan fruit, plus this one has vit C, and some modified cellulose gums, stearic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate.

I am totally confused now. I thought the fruits were suppose to be the same. Do you think these are the same fruits but different names for them? I'll need to do some internet researching and ask at the HFS tomorrow! They probably won't be able to help much though.

Which brand did you get?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Jessica new
      #138941 - 01/15/05 08:09 PM
jessica28

I too ordered the Plantery brand. I'll see how it works and maybe I'll try the other one if it doesn't work as well. Thanks!! I'll keep you posted.

Jessica

Triphala new
      #138952 - 01/15/05 08:49 PM
Augie

Here is some info from the Himalaya brand web page .Apparently, the "fruits" are the same, but go by different names? At least that what it appears to me.

Please let me know how it goes for you. As this article says, it may take up to 2 weeks to notice a difference. So stick with it. BTW you can get this at whole foods or a HFS so you don't have to pay for shipping and it may be cheaper.

Maybe I will try the other brand again,just as an experiment. I don't understand the big difference in dosage. The himalaya brand says 1000mg a day and the Planetary says 4000mg. Big difference.

One thing that does alarm me, that I just learned tonight, is that the haritaki has fructose as an "ingredient" and fructose is a trigger for many with IBS. Oh my, more confusion. Maybe I should stop this altogether. Fructose intolerance is big with IBS. It seems like the harder I try to find something, I always find something bad about it. Why can't there just be one good thing with no triggers or bad things in it I don't know if I should stop this now! What do you guys think?

Yet that same fruit it says reduces intestinal spasms!

Take Care Jessica.

--------------------
~ Beth

tummy herb.. new
      #139178 - 01/16/05 08:20 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

youve taken that herb?? what does it do? does it really work like a laxative or is it more of a stool softener that works well when paired with SFS??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Planetary brand triphala new
      #139461 - 01/17/05 08:28 PM
Augie

Jessica I know you ordered this brand of triphala. Wanted to warn you that it contains vitamin C. I received this response on my question concerning vitamin C effects on IBS.

"It may be somewhat helpful for constipation prone IBS - but be careful -- because it can be like a laxative. Here is what Heather said:

"Vitamin C is particularly notorious for causing gas, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid, and as the name implies, it's acidic. When it enters the alkaline environment of the lower intestinal tract it can create diarrhea and gas. In Germany, vitamin C is actually an approved laxative, so imagine what it will do to you if you have IBS. The recommended dose for Vitamin C is generally under 2,000 mg. daily. Over that, and you really risk the GI side effects. Unless your doctor has recommended otherwise, make sure your multivitamin does not exceed one hundred percent of the US RDA for Vitamin C."

Here is the link:
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#vit

What do you think about this? I'm scared to take this anymore.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Planetary brand triphala new
      #139782 - 01/18/05 06:29 PM
jessica28

Do both brands contain Vitamin C? Does this mean that the stuff is harmful then? I haven't gotten yet, so I haven't tried it. I always take alot of Vitamin C and it has never gave me the runs or irritated me. Just like I've heard calcium causes constipation...never has made a difference on me. I will keep you posted....

Jessica

#139783 - 01/18/05 06:47 PM
Augie

I'm so glad you checked in! You and me are the only ones trying the triphala! We are so similar! It's nice having someone who is at the same place as I--same symptoms, same past experience with the Eating Disorder (ED for short). I think you asked me about that in an email.

No, the other brand contains only the herbs without the added C or other fillers. Problem with the other brand is that it is that it only has 1/4 the amount of beneficial herb dosage that the planetary brand contains (1000mg a day compared to 4000mg).

I don't know if it is harmful or not. Like everything else, the responses have pretty much been that everyone is different and able to tolerate things at different levels. If you want more info, see my post on Vitamin C and also the thread on Reliv. Heather posted her comments about vit C on both these posts. I'm still confused, but it may help you decide what to do.

Please keep me posted on how you do. Since you have not had problems with vit. C before, you should be fine. I'm not sure about myself as I can't tolerate anything very well. No calcium or even advil.

I'm not sure what I will do. I want the benefits that this may offer for constipation, but don't need more gas and cramps.

--------------------
~ Beth

#139833 - 01/19/05 05:31 AM
jessica28

ARe you still taking it now? Are you going to keep with it? Maybe you should go back to the other kind and see what happens....

Jessica

#140141 - 01/19/05 06:15 PM
Augie

Today I am trying to take half and half! I take one of the pure herb at 250mg and one of the planetary with all the vit c and other "fillers" but worth 1000mg after breakfast, and the same way after dinner. This way, I am only getting 60 % Dv and not going over by taking 120% the DV. I'm only getting 2500 mg compared to the 4000mg with straight planetary. But I want to see if it helps with the BM without the risk of the cramping and gas. I get cramps and gas when I am constipated though so if the C gets any worse, I will probably go back to the 4000mg triphala. I am as confused as you are on what to do. We both just want to have a BM!

Did you check out the responses on the RELIV thread and the Vitamin C for constipation? Confusing. But Heather made me feel a little better when she said megadoses of C is what you should worry about. I think the RELIV products contain like 800% of the daily recommended amount of vit C in 2 scoops! So even if you only took 1 scoop you would still be at 400%. So that's a lot more than the triphala!

Have you started yours yet? Maybe since you take miralax and acacia you won't even need this supplement. I would rather take the triphala if it works over the miralax, just because I think it is less habit forming, less dependent forming. But I will do or take whatever works best. My problem is that there can be so many things causing the cramps and gas that I don't know what to cut out.

--------------------
~ Beth

#140165 - 01/19/05 07:05 PM
jessica28

Hi! I just got it in the mail today. I'm going to start taking it before bed tonight. I'm sick....:(....so sorry for the delayed responses. How long do you need to take it before I will see anything?

Sorry you are sick new
      #140177 - 01/19/05 07:33 PM
Augie

GL with the triphala. I think it will work for you since you have no problems with vit c. I really do Jessica!

It says on the website not to expect results for a couple weeks. So don't expect immediate results. It seems like it worked faster than that for me in the beginning.

But it isn't doing much for me now. I think the stress and my new work schedule is the culprit though, because it was working before this new job and I wasn't taking zelnorm or colace with it before either and now I have to take those too.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Sorry you are sick new
      #140325 - 01/20/05 09:50 AM
jessica28

Thanks...feeling like crap today, got the flu. So, when you did finally go, was it a healthy BM or runny? Sorry to be so graphic. Are you taking two in the morning and two at night? Also, does it give you gas? I just took my first two this morning, so we'll see in hopefully a few days something may come out! I'm still going to take the fiber and miralax though. I take higher doses of Vit C during the winter months, obviously it didn't do any good , but have never had problems with it irritating my stomach or anything. Keep me posted on your triphala and I will as well. Have a good one

#140342 - 01/20/05 10:53 AM
Augie

It was a healthy BM Not runny or anything. It was great. Don't know why it went away Like I said, I think it is my new schedule, no time in am for proper BM time to sit on potty and relax.

I don't know if it caused gas as I am taking zelnorm, colace and SFS that cause gas. Yes I am gassy everyday, all day. But no gassier than before the triphala. I am especially gassy today because no C I'm having a painful C and gassy day. I hate IBS

--------------------
~ Beth

#140395 - 01/20/05 01:02 PM
jessica28

I hear ya, me too. It seems like everything else I have taken just makes my poop runny, so this sounds pretty good. Isn't it gross to talk about this? At least we both understand! I have been pretty gassy today though, not sure if its the triphala or not...hmmm..we'll see. It took you two weeks to get a bm from this stuff?

Jessica

#142169 - 01/24/05 06:32 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Sorry this response is so outdated. I just found this thread. Thought I'd let you know I've tried the triphala (plantary brand- I also read Dr. Weil's website). Unfortunately, I had no results whatsoever from it. I've been a stubborn C for years, and absolutely the ONLY thing that has made any difference for me is getting rid of IF. Have you started taking the triphala? Any results?

I really wish I hadn't seen this response new
      #142178 - 01/24/05 06:56 PM
Augie

I think a lot of what helps is mind related. And now that I've read that you had no help from it, I'm expecting it won't work for me now either.

Sometimes I wonder if I should stop visiting this board. Everyone is different and the advice is too confusing and hopes are dashed with one response.

I don't understand how stopping IF helped your C as IF is pushed for folks with constipation. Over and over again the C folks are told to add as much IF as they can.

If youv'e visited the websites, this herb as been used in different countries throughout many years for constipation. I don't know how all these people could be wrong for all these years.

I know you were just adding your experience to the post, but it was hard for me to read that yet another idea I thought would help me is going down the drain. It's been a bad day, and I am just taking this letdown very hard. I just want to cry from all this IBS "crap". I just want to feel better and I really thought the triphala would help. I wish I hadn't seen your post. Nothing personal. Just having a bad day and wish I hadn't seen my hopes dashed.

--------------------
~ Beth

Hang in there Augie... new
      #142187 - 01/24/05 07:16 PM
jessica28

I know and I understand. Please don't get discouraged. What works for one may not for another. You still need to try everything that you can and experiment and not let other people's experiences get you down. It's hard sweetie, I feel real frustrated at times too, but don't get upset, ok? Just keep trying and doing what you are doing and soon you will find the "formula" you are looking for!

Jessica

#142191 - 01/24/05 07:25 PM
jessica28

I only started a few days ago, so nothing really yet. I read that it can take a few weeks for effects, so I'm going to stick with it for a little while....

Jessica, I needed to hear that! new
      #142192 - 01/24/05 07:33 PM
Augie

I really think I'm losing it here tonight. So many contradictions and when I read that post, I just started crying, literally. I mean, how much ambiguity and confusion can we take? In addition to this horrible Constipation and gas and cramps. My mind and my body are killing me here!

Thank you so much for being here for me. You have been such a good person for me to bounce things off of. Our experiences are so similar and it helps to know that you are pushing along and continuing to fight.

If I could just have a BM I know I would feel a lot better physically and emotionally. I just found out today that my doctor will not be able to get me samples of miralax, so that was disappointing too.

So are you going to continue to take the triphala even though the post said it didn't do anything? Or are we wasting our money and making matters worse for our IBS? Maybe it is causing more problems than help. What ya think?

I really am considering quitting the boards. I think they may be bad for me. I am not able to take what helps and leave the rest. I get too confused. I like definates and this board is just so contradictory lots of times. I think it may be causing more harm than good for my emotional state. The stress level has definately worsened. Yet, I can't seem to stay away.

--------------------
~ Beth

Hang in there Augie from me too... new
      #142213 - 01/24/05 09:41 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Beth, repeat in your head 'everyone is different, everyone is different'. We have chatted so many times about this and remember our conclusions - we need to stop taking these posts to heart. The idea of the board is for people to share their experiences and no one thing will EVER work for everyone. Think of ADs, everyone responds differently to them and it requires trial and error to find the one that works for you. I used to take ADs and visited message boards similar to these to try and find the one that worked for me, cos it felt like none of them did. Well after several months and lots of stress! I found that noone could say one AD was the one to go with. Thats because there isn't one magic formula for health. So I realised I had to stop asking everyone else and just try for myself.

I know it is so expensive for you to try all these different IBS treatments, but its the only way you're going to find out what works for you. If tripahala is working for you, then keep using it COS IT WORKS! Who cares if it doesn't work for other people. I just think you desperately want more from these boards then they are able to offer.

Am I telling you anything you don't already know and believe? Probably not. I've written similar posts like this to you before. So why write another one? Because sometimes we just need people to reach out to us and tell us its going to be okay. I can't tell you its going to be okay. But I am reaching out to you.

So Beth sweetie, your IBS won't improve until your state of mind does. Only when we have a positive outlook on life will we have positive change inside.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Jessica, I needed to hear that! new
      #142217 - 01/24/05 09:53 PM
jessica28

As mentioned, don't worry if someone didn't like something or it didn't work. You HAVE to try for yourself. I have found things on these boards useful and also alot of it not useful at all. I think the most useful thing you can do for yourself is experiment. It sucks, it costs money, but I have finally gotten to the point to where I don't have to run out and buy some Dulcolax anymore. It took me awhile, but now I've got the Miralax, soluble fiber (whether its Acacia, Citrucel, Benefiber...you don't have to spend tons of money Beth) they all work, some you may just have to take a little more of than others, and the magnesium. I just want to try those herbs because they are more natural. Miralax is not bad for you like most laxatives, but you can end up relying on it to go #2....that's why I still want to try other things, but at least have a way to go in the meantime, ya know? Do you have health insurance? Miralax is pretty pricey, about $60 a bottle, which last one month, I don't have insurance right now, but get the generic brand, Glycolax, which is $45...still expensive, but better. Hopefully maybe your doctor will get some more samples in soon though. Start increasing your citrucel though.... It is confusing on here sometimes, but just don't obsess over what you read and try not to read EVERYTHING either and become overwhelmed. None of us are experts, so don't take everything too serious. I'm here for you!!! If you do ever quit the boards or just want to send me some personal emails, do so at jaworski1@cox.net anytime!!

Jessica

#142547 - 01/25/05 01:14 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi Jessica, i'm sorry my response bummed you out. Of course that wasn't my intention- I just understand the frustration of what seems like throwing away all of our money on this herb or that herb and hoping it will be the one that helps. You should try the triphala, maybe it will work for you. I can say it didn't give me any negative side effects, so thats a good thing. Try to hang in there. I feel just as horrible as you do and I understand the feeling that there are so many mixed messages. It does seem that what works for one of us doesn't for the next. Wish I had known you were around when I lived in Illinois. I moved to AZ 5 years ago believe it or not so I could wear less clothing..... even CLOTHES hurt sometimes. Try to make it through these few days. I have no explanation as to why IF makes my constipation worse. Believe me it pisses me off to no end that the exact thing i've been using to combat it has only made it worse. It's all such a mess sometimes. But we can't give up. As long as there are drug companies that can get rich off of our misery, there is hope that they will find a magic bullet!

Taroh73... new
      #142565 - 01/25/05 01:29 PM
jessica28

Hi, actually it was Augie that was having more frustrations, not myself, although it does frustrate me! I live in Phoenix also! What part of town are you in? I live off Bell Rd. and the 51. Maybe we could get together sometime and vent!!!

Jessica

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 824 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review