Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Inflam. arthtiris treated with IBS diet
      #137565 - 01/12/05 09:02 AM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

Hi,

Been out of the country for a few months, but I'm back!. Happy New Year to all . . .

For many years, I've had bowel problems (alt. C & D), but like most of you, no doctor ever figure it out and did anything for me.

About 5 years ago, I got severe inflammatory arthritis in the low spine (it's called "spondyloarthropathy"). No answers to that, except drugs for pain and inflammation. Due to the presumed IBS, I got Heather's book, and started the IBS diet close to a year ago. Within weeks, the arthritis seemed to disappear. Now I notice that when I cheat (seldom, but I have a couple of times, and I admit my weakness for bacon!), the arthritis pain comes back with a vengeance. It takes a week or so for it to disappear after these incidents.

I went to a new rheumatologist for the arthritis, and he told me that the colon is attached to the lumbar spine, so when the colon is inflamed, it spreads to the spine. That was it -- no suggestions of testing to see what's wrong with my colon. So my first question: Is inflammation part of IBS?

I did a little online research about the spondyloarthropathies, and sure enough, there's a handful of doctors who have performed some research of their own and found that dairy, pork, beef, coffee, etc, all aggravate the "spondies." So I now wonder if the arthritis develops after too many years of inflammation in the colon? Again, though, I don't know if inflammation is part of IBS or not. Or am I off track, and maybe inflammation is NOT part of IBS, but an IBD? I'm lost -- would like any input. Also, is there anyone else with this kind of arthritis?

Thanks,

"OG"

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Inflam. arthtiris treated with IBS diet new
      #137586 - 01/12/05 09:51 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

an interesting twist and link.. not sure what to tell you.. I have arthritis, but inmy knee and wrist adn the biggest help has been seeing a chiropractor actually.. that and celebrex works well for me.. but I'm weaning myself off it now

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Inflam. arthtiris treated with IBS diet new
      #137640 - 01/12/05 11:25 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

OG, check this webpage out about arthritis and grains:
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?1029

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 609

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review