All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Ongoing IBS Attack
      #137174 - 01/11/05 08:34 AM
sholker

Reged: 05/26/04

This is only the second time I have posted to the IBS Message Board. My trouble started last May from being on the LA Weight Loss Plan. I started my testing and found that I had a bad Gallbladder and it was removed in September. Unfortunately, my symptoms were still there. Thus, I have been following the IBS Diet since then. I was able to become stable for two months. I thought I had it licked!

However, during our family Christmas - I made the Bruschetta (from the IBS cook book) and thinking this was safe. I kept to my usual foods (sourdough bread, turkey breast shaved, baked lays potato chips and the Bruschetta (about three pieces). When the attack hit, I immediately began following the "What to eat when you can't eat anything" for at least three days at a stretch - then began adding food back in. I tried adding Soy Milk (Silk vanilla) to my cereal (frosted rice chex) and then adding some sort of meat (turkey breast and/or chicken breast with no seasoning). It has been 9 days and I am still having the constant pain (gas) and/or cramping. What am I doing wrong? I just want to get back to where I was. I realize the trigger was the tomatos (sp?). Also, question, in that recipe - I only diced the tomatos and onions and garlic. Was I suppose to blend them in a blender??? It is a good recipe - just want to know what I did wrong. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

On a good note, however, I am sooo glad I found the Eating for IBS book. It's nice to know that I can control it.

Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ongoing IBS Attack new
      #137195 - 01/11/05 09:22 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Sheri,

Could it have been the food portions at Christmas? Sometimes when I eat too much food, I get an attack - no matter what kind of food it is. Also, if the turkey breast was dark meat, that might have been the culprit too.

Are you on a soluble fiber suppliment? That can make a big difference when it comes to your body getting along with insoluble fiber foods. I always make sure I either take an SFS (soluble fiber suppliment) or eat soluble fiber food before eating any insoluble foods.

Stress can also be a factor if you're extremely stressed. Try exercise and/or yoga.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#137280 - 01/11/05 11:37 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I am new too but I know for me I can't eat onions or garlic they upset my stomach way too much. Especially the onions.

No Recipes! new
      #137283 - 01/11/05 11:42 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sholker:

I follow Heather's diet, but not her recipes. I find I can't tolerate many of the foods in her recipes. I would certainly not be able to tolerate her bruschetta recipe. In fact, I doubt I would be able to tolerate 90 per cent of Heather's recipes.

IBS can be a very individual condition. Although there are some basic universal rules for diet (trigger foods, etc.), each IBS person has varying degrees of sensitivity to various types of foods.

I would recommend you try and pinpoint what foods you are able to tolerate, and in what form (pureed, etc.) you are able to tolerate them, and then devise your own recipes using Heather's rules for preparation (skinned, seeded, no frying, etc.). That's what I've done and I feel great (although perhaps my recipes aren't that great)! I would also recommend you eat only organic food. I continued to have IBS attacks until I switched to organic.

Hope you feel better soon. Send me an e-mail if you need more information.

Belinda

I can't tolerate Heather's recipes either new
      #137304 - 01/11/05 12:10 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Most of the foods Heather can tolerate are on my "No Way In HE double hockey sticks" list. Garlic? Are you kidding? Talk about pain. And tomatoes? TOMATOES?? Yeah, if I wanted to commit suicide maybe.

Look, only you know what works for you. Why don't you make your own recipes? Personally I like sliced bread with peanut butter and sugar sprinkled on top, toasted in the oven. But I'm not going to push that on someone else and call it safe.

~nelly~ Too involved to write a book

#137305 - 01/11/05 12:11 PM
Nelly

Ditto.

~nelly~

#137309 - 01/11/05 12:15 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

garlic=gas
onion=pain (unless cooked until really really soft)
Tomatoes I can do

The others are right just like nonIBSers we can all tolerate different foods...

--------------------
S.

Re: I can't tolerate Heather's recipes either new
      #137315 - 01/11/05 12:20 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Me too! So much onion and garlic in those Eating for IBS recipe books! And raw cabbage on sandwhiches. YIKES!

And I know the spices are suppose to be safe, but chili powder? Those recipes are way to rough on me. I do bland and find even cooked onion and garlic kill me!

No offense Heather!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I can't tolerate Heather's recipes either new
      #137319 - 01/11/05 12:26 PM
Nelly

LOL! Chilli powder!? *wiping tears from eyes*

~nelly~

I can do chili (a little) n/t
      #137346 - 01/11/05 01:00 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1082 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12315

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review