All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Ongoing IBS Attack
      #137174 - 01/11/05 08:34 AM
sholker

Reged: 05/26/04

This is only the second time I have posted to the IBS Message Board. My trouble started last May from being on the LA Weight Loss Plan. I started my testing and found that I had a bad Gallbladder and it was removed in September. Unfortunately, my symptoms were still there. Thus, I have been following the IBS Diet since then. I was able to become stable for two months. I thought I had it licked!

However, during our family Christmas - I made the Bruschetta (from the IBS cook book) and thinking this was safe. I kept to my usual foods (sourdough bread, turkey breast shaved, baked lays potato chips and the Bruschetta (about three pieces). When the attack hit, I immediately began following the "What to eat when you can't eat anything" for at least three days at a stretch - then began adding food back in. I tried adding Soy Milk (Silk vanilla) to my cereal (frosted rice chex) and then adding some sort of meat (turkey breast and/or chicken breast with no seasoning). It has been 9 days and I am still having the constant pain (gas) and/or cramping. What am I doing wrong? I just want to get back to where I was. I realize the trigger was the tomatos (sp?). Also, question, in that recipe - I only diced the tomatos and onions and garlic. Was I suppose to blend them in a blender??? It is a good recipe - just want to know what I did wrong. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

On a good note, however, I am sooo glad I found the Eating for IBS book. It's nice to know that I can control it.

Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ongoing IBS Attack new
      #137195 - 01/11/05 09:22 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Sheri,

Could it have been the food portions at Christmas? Sometimes when I eat too much food, I get an attack - no matter what kind of food it is. Also, if the turkey breast was dark meat, that might have been the culprit too.

Are you on a soluble fiber suppliment? That can make a big difference when it comes to your body getting along with insoluble fiber foods. I always make sure I either take an SFS (soluble fiber suppliment) or eat soluble fiber food before eating any insoluble foods.

Stress can also be a factor if you're extremely stressed. Try exercise and/or yoga.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#137280 - 01/11/05 11:37 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I am new too but I know for me I can't eat onions or garlic they upset my stomach way too much. Especially the onions.

No Recipes! new
      #137283 - 01/11/05 11:42 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sholker:

I follow Heather's diet, but not her recipes. I find I can't tolerate many of the foods in her recipes. I would certainly not be able to tolerate her bruschetta recipe. In fact, I doubt I would be able to tolerate 90 per cent of Heather's recipes.

IBS can be a very individual condition. Although there are some basic universal rules for diet (trigger foods, etc.), each IBS person has varying degrees of sensitivity to various types of foods.

I would recommend you try and pinpoint what foods you are able to tolerate, and in what form (pureed, etc.) you are able to tolerate them, and then devise your own recipes using Heather's rules for preparation (skinned, seeded, no frying, etc.). That's what I've done and I feel great (although perhaps my recipes aren't that great)! I would also recommend you eat only organic food. I continued to have IBS attacks until I switched to organic.

Hope you feel better soon. Send me an e-mail if you need more information.

Belinda

I can't tolerate Heather's recipes either new
      #137304 - 01/11/05 12:10 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Most of the foods Heather can tolerate are on my "No Way In HE double hockey sticks" list. Garlic? Are you kidding? Talk about pain. And tomatoes? TOMATOES?? Yeah, if I wanted to commit suicide maybe.

Look, only you know what works for you. Why don't you make your own recipes? Personally I like sliced bread with peanut butter and sugar sprinkled on top, toasted in the oven. But I'm not going to push that on someone else and call it safe.

~nelly~ Too involved to write a book

#137305 - 01/11/05 12:11 PM
Nelly

Ditto.

~nelly~

#137309 - 01/11/05 12:15 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

garlic=gas
onion=pain (unless cooked until really really soft)
Tomatoes I can do

The others are right just like nonIBSers we can all tolerate different foods...

--------------------
S.

Re: I can't tolerate Heather's recipes either new
      #137315 - 01/11/05 12:20 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Me too! So much onion and garlic in those Eating for IBS recipe books! And raw cabbage on sandwhiches. YIKES!

And I know the spices are suppose to be safe, but chili powder? Those recipes are way to rough on me. I do bland and find even cooked onion and garlic kill me!

No offense Heather!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#137319 - 01/11/05 12:26 PM
Nelly

LOL! Chilli powder!? *wiping tears from eyes*

~nelly~

I can do chili (a little) n/t new
      #137346 - 01/11/05 01:00 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

--------------------
S.

You can always leave out the ingredients that bother you! new
      #137366 - 01/11/05 01:20 PM
Jennifer Rose

I have problems to with some of the ingredients in the recipes, but that doesn't mean that I can't get creative and use them as a guideline!

You can always leave the offending ingredients out of the recipes and they will turn out just fine. Garlic and onions are used as a flavoring, not a necessity.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#137370 - 01/11/05 01:25 PM
sholker

Thanks for responding - I am currently taking 4 TBSP. a day of benefiber.

Re: No Recipes! new
      #137373 - 01/11/05 01:29 PM
sholker

I guess I am too afraid of finding out what my triggers are. I don't want to get another attack. I am still trying to get over the one from Christmas. Exactly how long can these attacks take? My Gastroenterologist gave me a prescription to Levsin, but I guess I'm afraid to try that.

I have been trying the Peppermint Tea but that has not worked. I am back to taking the Peppermint Altoids.

Sheri

#137379 - 01/11/05 01:52 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Sheri,

First welcome back! I just checked and saw that I actually responded to your post in May, so nice to see you again. And congratulations on your two months stable. That's GREAT!

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well. Heather's recipes are totally yummy, but are not guaranteed 100% safe for everybody all the time. We all have other issues such as gastric reflux disease (GERD) or food allergies (I can't eat any tree fruit) that complicate the picture. It sounds like maybe you have a slight case of GERD because tomatoes are very acidic and give those of us with GERD heartburn and gas pain and all kinds of trouble! I'm fine with onions and garlic (good thing, since my hubby's spaghetti with clam sauce is very garlicky and VERY yummy).

Now to get your tummy calmed down again, you took the right first step with the breaking the cycle approach. But I would suggest more aggressive measures to deal with the gas. Have you tried Gas-X? I take two extrastrength capsules every morning. Mylanta Liquid also helps and you can take up to like 9 tablespoons a day. Fennel tea is Heather's favorite remedy for gas, along with the yoga poses for gas (click above on the Yoga link). If you do have GERD, peppermint may make your symptoms worse, so you might want to steer clear of that. And you're using your heating pad to help with the pain, right?

I would say go back to plain soluble foods for three more days along with the other aggressive measures I suggested and if you're still having problems then, it might be time to call the doc and see if there's something else going on.

OH! What about soluble fiber supplements? You are taking one, aren't you? Good luck and let us know if you're feeling better, okay?!

Take care, hon.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#137386 - 01/11/05 02:03 PM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

Exactly how long can these attacks take?

Unfortunately, they can vary depending on the person! Mine are always done after 30-60 minutes, but I can feel uncomfortable and slightly crampy the rest of the day/week.

Quote:

My Gastroenterologist gave me a prescription to Levsin, but I guess I'm afraid to try that.

Levsin has been my lifesaver! I take it whenever I'm unsure of a food, or if I'm in the middle of an attack, it takes away the pain for me.

Quote:

I have been trying the Peppermint Tea but that has not worked. I am back to taking the Peppermint Altoids.

Have you tried Heather's peppermint tea? It's much stronger than the teas sold in stores.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any more questions.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Ongoing IBS Attack and IBS reciepes........ new
      #137493 - 01/12/05 12:29 AM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

I feel so bad for those others who can't have GARLIC and ONION even cooked soft-I'd shoot myself in the head if my IBS worsened to the point I couldn't have THEM.I practically LIVE on them,sometimes-of course,I make sure they're cooked really soft.Have you ladies considered the attacks with garlic and onion are caused by GAS and nothing more?I know the GAS can be a major problem-but easily dealt with by lots amd lots of strong fennel tea.That's why I make sure I have a big pot made before cooking garic and onion dishes.What does everyone else think?
Andrew L.

#137502 - 01/12/05 03:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

garlic I can tolerate if its been roasted... onions- forget it.. until DH found the trick because he can't eat without it- I seem to handle dried POWDERED onion just fine, since there isn't any bulk to cause issues with it.. not sure if the double cooking is part of it or I was just having trouble digesting the solid pieces of onion, btu this way I am ok....I definitely can't handle a lot of heat, but a tiny bit of mild chili powder or chipotle powder or ancho pepper powder is fine and adds a ton of punch... I dont' follow the recipes here exactly, but come up with my own guidelines.. I did learn I am truly allergic to dairy though.... its not a sensitivity anymore.. since I cut it out I was fine.. I ate some recently and broke out in hives!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#137504 - 01/12/05 04:10 AM
sholker

Thanks for responding! Yes, I am taking a Fiber Supplement - 4 TBSP. per day of Benefiber. I also have been trying Zantac for the gas. Just started, so I am not sure if it is working. Yes, I have tried Gas-X - I will try that again.

Thanks!

Sheri

#137505 - 01/12/05 04:13 AM
sholker

Does Levsin make you dizzy or drowsy??? I will be traveling the end of this month for work and it is imperative I am not drowsy.

Thanks for all your help!! I really do appreciate it.

Sheri

Anti spasmodics new
      #137506 - 01/12/05 04:39 AM
Augie

Hi Sheri,

I have tried levsin in the past as well as NuLev which is virtually the same thing. I think most people find that all antispasmodics do cause some dizziness and drowsiness. I can only take mine at night, no matter how bad the pain is during the day, if I need to drive or go to work.

Since the intention of the drug is to slow down your insidess so that they don't "spaz" as much, the drugs tend to make other parts of your body, like your "alertness" also slow down!

I am pretty intolerant of most drugs, so you may be able to handle them better than I. But I would say from reading this board for a while now, that most people do avoid taking them during the day if they can. But again, you may have a higher tolerance. Take them on a weekend to see how your body reacts.

--------------------
~ Beth

#137507 - 01/12/05 04:46 AM
DeeSingleton

Loc: Indiana, USA

First I wanted to say that this is only my 3rd post, but I just joined yesterday! And, I have already gotten so much useful information that I'm going to try for my pain/symptoms!! So thanks!

Anyway, I have ongoing gas all the time it seems like...I have tried Gas-X, and seems to help with the gas, but seems to make my stomach hurt (I usually use the gel-caps). Anyone else have this problem with Gas-X? Other suggestions for gas that have helped them?

Gas X new
      #137509 - 01/12/05 05:02 AM
Augie

Regular brand Gas X contains sorbitol which is a trigger for most of us IBS folks. Look on your box to see. This could be your culprit. Sorbitol is difficult for most of us.

Most people on the boards use a generic form of gas x from walgreens or jewel osco, etc. For some reason, the generic forms usually do not contain sorbitol. Just make sure you read the ingredient labels whenever you buy something to look for hidden triggers in the active as well as the inactive ingredient listings.

When people on the board refer to GAS X they are usually refering to the generic brand. This was suggested to me a bit ago.

Also, as everyone suggests, Fennel Tea is what Heather and others say works well for gas and bloating.

Click on search and type in Gas x to see what others have reported or type in Gas to get helpful responses. The search button at the top is a great tool for finding many answers from many posters at once! Just click on search, choose all forums and for date use bottom one for All Posts.

GL and welcome

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Gas X new
      #137510 - 01/12/05 05:07 AM
DeeSingleton

Loc: Indiana, USA

Oh my gosh. I KNEW the effects of sorbitol, but actually never even consider that it might be in Gas-X (and other things also)! Thanks. I will be much more aware of that in many other things now!!!

Thanks for the info on the search button!

#137511 - 01/12/05 05:11 AM
Augie

Your very welcome! Yeah, I don't know why they put sorbitol is so many product, especially the ones that are suppose to help the tummy and sorbitol hurts it. Kind of makes it useless in my opinion! Also, since it's a gel cap, why does it even need sorbitol--not like we are even going to chew or taste it! I was shocked to see this nasty sorbitol in so many products.

--------------------
~ Beth

#137520 - 01/12/05 06:52 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Are we talking about maltodextrin - or does it actually say sorbitol on the box??? Thanks for the info- I would have never thought that would be in there--- I will also be keeping a watchful eye now!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#137524 - 01/12/05 07:03 AM
Augie

It actually has sorbitol listed in the inactive ingredient list! The Walgreens brand, the jewel osco brand (generic store brands) do not have sorbitol.

Yes, with IBS read ingredients. They throw those triggers into everything!

--------------------
~ Beth

#137556 - 01/12/05 08:55 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

That's why I NEVER get the chewable kind. I always get the green capsules. Once I did get cheap and get the gaz x chewables, the ones that have that sorbitol in them, and I had non-stop diarreah for a week.

--------------------

HOLY SCHMOLY! new
      #137561 - 01/12/05 09:00 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

I just looked at the package of gas x I have, and it says "May contain sorbitol special"! What the heck. This kind never bothers me, weird! It's just the liquid gel caps that I always buy at Wal Mart. Maybe the chewable ones I got by mistake that one time had something else in there? I'll need to look for a brand that has JUST the simethicone in it. Sheesh...

--------------------

Re: HOLY SCHMOLY! new
      #137567 - 01/12/05 09:05 AM
Augie

I almost bought those at Walmart too, but saw the same warning and didn't want to risk it! Get Walgreens brand or Jewel Osco brand gel caps, both are pure semithicone! Not the chewables, stick with these brands of gel caps and those are safe!

--------------------
~ Beth

#137599 - 01/12/05 10:21 AM
Jennifer Rose

It does make me a tad drowsy, so if I am sitting in a car as a passenger or watching TV, I might dose off after taking it.

However, I had a nasty attack last night around 8pm, took one, and was able to stay up (laying down in my bed!) until after 11pm. Maybe I'm getting used to them?

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Anti spasmodics new
      #137600 - 01/12/05 10:22 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

I am pretty intolerant of most drugs, so you may be able to handle them better than I. But I would say from reading this board for a while now, that most people do avoid taking them during the day if they can. But again, you may have a higher tolerance. Take them on a weekend to see how your body reacts.

I think it's going to be a trial and error thing. I have no problem taking them during the day, so remember that everyone is different.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Antispasmodics new
      #137604 - 01/12/05 10:29 AM
Augie

Guess I didn't read enough responses I thought most people did find them to cause drowsiness! Thought I was finally able to answer a question and help someone!

I did put in bold that she needed to test it on her own body as we are all different. So can I get an E for Effort?

--------------------
~ Beth

Help new
      #137607 - 01/12/05 10:33 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sheri:

I've gone through the "fear" thing so I know exactly what you're going through. I am still very fearful to try new things.

But I have an excellent handle on my IBS now. I never get pain anymore and only occasional D, usually at very predictable times.

Please e-mail (click on my profile for my e-mail address) and I will be happy to help you. I employ a very natural, common sense approach to controlling my IBS, which includes Heather's dietary laws, eating organic and staying away from prepared foods that contain additives. I don't take any medication for my IBS.

Whereas I used to have sudden painful, unpredictable IBS attacks that would leave me sore for up to two weeks afterwards, I now enjoy a wonderful, pain-free life with a well balanced diet. It took me 45 years to get to this point, but I made it!

I can also give you some tips on food when travelling. I travel back and forth between Canada and the U.S. (five-hour flights east to west coast) all the time and, for one thing, I never touch airline food!

Belinda

Re: Ongoing IBS Attack and IBS reciepes........ new
      #137628 - 01/12/05 11:03 AM
Nelly

Yeah, the fiber causes food attacks for me. I can tell as soon as I eat something too fiberous that I made a mistake. No amount of simethicone stops those attacks, which is why I limit fiber foods. I would much rather have good quality of life with no pain and forgo these foods than risk it for a quick taste fix. UGH. Totally not worth it, especially if you measure it by the time it takes to eat something and the time I'm bent over in agony, sweating it out for hours. Yeah, Hmmm, I can do that math!!

~nelly~

#137812 - 01/12/05 03:06 PM
LauraSue

any dizziness or drowsiness will lessen in a week or two as your body gets used to it. also try taking at night or later in the day when drowsiness is a plus!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#137817 - 01/12/05 03:11 PM
LauraSue

Welcome, Dee!

Glad you found us, sorry you had to! :-)

Ditto about the sorbitol possibly being the culprit. I take generic Rite-Aid Gas Relief. Gas-X is just our lazy shorthand for simethicone!

The golden rules for gas are:
1. Drink lots of fennel tea.
2. Avoid gas producing foods
2. Do specific yoga poses.

Here's the link to Heather's page about it:
Gas and Bloating

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Antispasmodics new
      #137821 - 01/12/05 03:14 PM
LauraSue

Beth, my dear, your answer was GOOD!! It was exactly right! Quit beating up on yourself young lady or I'm gonna have to come over there and get strict with you!!!!

You're so adorable! Can I adopt you?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12314

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review