All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Ongoing IBS Attack new
      #137507 - 01/12/05 04:46 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

First I wanted to say that this is only my 3rd post, but I just joined yesterday! And, I have already gotten so much useful information that I'm going to try for my pain/symptoms!! So thanks!

Anyway, I have ongoing gas all the time it seems like...I have tried Gas-X, and seems to help with the gas, but seems to make my stomach hurt (I usually use the gel-caps). Anyone else have this problem with Gas-X? Other suggestions for gas that have helped them?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Gas X new
      #137509 - 01/12/05 05:02 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Regular brand Gas X contains sorbitol which is a trigger for most of us IBS folks. Look on your box to see. This could be your culprit. Sorbitol is difficult for most of us.

Most people on the boards use a generic form of gas x from walgreens or jewel osco, etc. For some reason, the generic forms usually do not contain sorbitol. Just make sure you read the ingredient labels whenever you buy something to look for hidden triggers in the active as well as the inactive ingredient listings.

When people on the board refer to GAS X they are usually refering to the generic brand. This was suggested to me a bit ago.

Also, as everyone suggests, Fennel Tea is what Heather and others say works well for gas and bloating.

Click on search and type in Gas x to see what others have reported or type in Gas to get helpful responses. The search button at the top is a great tool for finding many answers from many posters at once! Just click on search, choose all forums and for date use bottom one for All Posts.

GL and welcome

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Gas X new
      #137510 - 01/12/05 05:07 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Oh my gosh. I KNEW the effects of sorbitol, but actually never even consider that it might be in Gas-X (and other things also)! Thanks. I will be much more aware of that in many other things now!!!

Thanks for the info on the search button!

#137511 - 01/12/05 05:11 AM
Augie

Your very welcome! Yeah, I don't know why they put sorbitol is so many product, especially the ones that are suppose to help the tummy and sorbitol hurts it. Kind of makes it useless in my opinion! Also, since it's a gel cap, why does it even need sorbitol--not like we are even going to chew or taste it! I was shocked to see this nasty sorbitol in so many products.

--------------------
~ Beth

#137520 - 01/12/05 06:52 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Are we talking about maltodextrin - or does it actually say sorbitol on the box??? Thanks for the info- I would have never thought that would be in there--- I will also be keeping a watchful eye now!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#137524 - 01/12/05 07:03 AM
Augie

It actually has sorbitol listed in the inactive ingredient list! The Walgreens brand, the jewel osco brand (generic store brands) do not have sorbitol.

Yes, with IBS read ingredients. They throw those triggers into everything!

--------------------
~ Beth

#137556 - 01/12/05 08:55 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

That's why I NEVER get the chewable kind. I always get the green capsules. Once I did get cheap and get the gaz x chewables, the ones that have that sorbitol in them, and I had non-stop diarreah for a week.

--------------------

HOLY SCHMOLY! new
      #137561 - 01/12/05 09:00 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

I just looked at the package of gas x I have, and it says "May contain sorbitol special"! What the heck. This kind never bothers me, weird! It's just the liquid gel caps that I always buy at Wal Mart. Maybe the chewable ones I got by mistake that one time had something else in there? I'll need to look for a brand that has JUST the simethicone in it. Sheesh...

--------------------

Re: HOLY SCHMOLY! new
      #137567 - 01/12/05 09:05 AM
Augie

I almost bought those at Walmart too, but saw the same warning and didn't want to risk it! Get Walgreens brand or Jewel Osco brand gel caps, both are pure semithicone! Not the chewables, stick with these brands of gel caps and those are safe!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: No Recipes! new
      #137599 - 01/12/05 10:21 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

It does make me a tad drowsy, so if I am sitting in a car as a passenger or watching TV, I might dose off after taking it.

However, I had a nasty attack last night around 8pm, took one, and was able to stay up (laying down in my bed!) until after 11pm. Maybe I'm getting used to them?

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1021 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12491

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review