All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
You can always leave out the ingredients that bother you! new
      #137366 - 01/11/05 01:20 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I have problems to with some of the ingredients in the recipes, but that doesn't mean that I can't get creative and use them as a guideline!

You can always leave the offending ingredients out of the recipes and they will turn out just fine. Garlic and onions are used as a flavoring, not a necessity.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ongoing IBS Attack new
      #137370 - 01/11/05 01:25 PM
sholker

Reged: 05/26/04

Thanks for responding - I am currently taking 4 TBSP. a day of benefiber.

Re: No Recipes! new
      #137373 - 01/11/05 01:29 PM
sholker

I guess I am too afraid of finding out what my triggers are. I don't want to get another attack. I am still trying to get over the one from Christmas. Exactly how long can these attacks take? My Gastroenterologist gave me a prescription to Levsin, but I guess I'm afraid to try that.

I have been trying the Peppermint Tea but that has not worked. I am back to taking the Peppermint Altoids.

Sheri

#137379 - 01/11/05 01:52 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Sheri,

First welcome back! I just checked and saw that I actually responded to your post in May, so nice to see you again. And congratulations on your two months stable. That's GREAT!

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well. Heather's recipes are totally yummy, but are not guaranteed 100% safe for everybody all the time. We all have other issues such as gastric reflux disease (GERD) or food allergies (I can't eat any tree fruit) that complicate the picture. It sounds like maybe you have a slight case of GERD because tomatoes are very acidic and give those of us with GERD heartburn and gas pain and all kinds of trouble! I'm fine with onions and garlic (good thing, since my hubby's spaghetti with clam sauce is very garlicky and VERY yummy).

Now to get your tummy calmed down again, you took the right first step with the breaking the cycle approach. But I would suggest more aggressive measures to deal with the gas. Have you tried Gas-X? I take two extrastrength capsules every morning. Mylanta Liquid also helps and you can take up to like 9 tablespoons a day. Fennel tea is Heather's favorite remedy for gas, along with the yoga poses for gas (click above on the Yoga link). If you do have GERD, peppermint may make your symptoms worse, so you might want to steer clear of that. And you're using your heating pad to help with the pain, right?

I would say go back to plain soluble foods for three more days along with the other aggressive measures I suggested and if you're still having problems then, it might be time to call the doc and see if there's something else going on.

OH! What about soluble fiber supplements? You are taking one, aren't you? Good luck and let us know if you're feeling better, okay?!

Take care, hon.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#137386 - 01/11/05 02:03 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

Exactly how long can these attacks take?

Unfortunately, they can vary depending on the person! Mine are always done after 30-60 minutes, but I can feel uncomfortable and slightly crampy the rest of the day/week.

Quote:

My Gastroenterologist gave me a prescription to Levsin, but I guess I'm afraid to try that.

Levsin has been my lifesaver! I take it whenever I'm unsure of a food, or if I'm in the middle of an attack, it takes away the pain for me.

Quote:

I have been trying the Peppermint Tea but that has not worked. I am back to taking the Peppermint Altoids.

Have you tried Heather's peppermint tea? It's much stronger than the teas sold in stores.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any more questions.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Ongoing IBS Attack and IBS reciepes........ new
      #137493 - 01/12/05 12:29 AM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

I feel so bad for those others who can't have GARLIC and ONION even cooked soft-I'd shoot myself in the head if my IBS worsened to the point I couldn't have THEM.I practically LIVE on them,sometimes-of course,I make sure they're cooked really soft.Have you ladies considered the attacks with garlic and onion are caused by GAS and nothing more?I know the GAS can be a major problem-but easily dealt with by lots amd lots of strong fennel tea.That's why I make sure I have a big pot made before cooking garic and onion dishes.What does everyone else think?
Andrew L.

Re: I can't tolerate Heather's recipes either new
      #137502 - 01/12/05 03:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

garlic I can tolerate if its been roasted... onions- forget it.. until DH found the trick because he can't eat without it- I seem to handle dried POWDERED onion just fine, since there isn't any bulk to cause issues with it.. not sure if the double cooking is part of it or I was just having trouble digesting the solid pieces of onion, btu this way I am ok....I definitely can't handle a lot of heat, but a tiny bit of mild chili powder or chipotle powder or ancho pepper powder is fine and adds a ton of punch... I dont' follow the recipes here exactly, but come up with my own guidelines.. I did learn I am truly allergic to dairy though.... its not a sensitivity anymore.. since I cut it out I was fine.. I ate some recently and broke out in hives!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#137504 - 01/12/05 04:10 AM
sholker

Thanks for responding! Yes, I am taking a Fiber Supplement - 4 TBSP. per day of Benefiber. I also have been trying Zantac for the gas. Just started, so I am not sure if it is working. Yes, I have tried Gas-X - I will try that again.

Thanks!

Sheri

#137505 - 01/12/05 04:13 AM
sholker

Does Levsin make you dizzy or drowsy??? I will be traveling the end of this month for work and it is imperative I am not drowsy.

Thanks for all your help!! I really do appreciate it.

Sheri

Anti spasmodics new
      #137506 - 01/12/05 04:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hi Sheri,

I have tried levsin in the past as well as NuLev which is virtually the same thing. I think most people find that all antispasmodics do cause some dizziness and drowsiness. I can only take mine at night, no matter how bad the pain is during the day, if I need to drive or go to work.

Since the intention of the drug is to slow down your insidess so that they don't "spaz" as much, the drugs tend to make other parts of your body, like your "alertness" also slow down!

I am pretty intolerant of most drugs, so you may be able to handle them better than I. But I would say from reading this board for a while now, that most people do avoid taking them during the day if they can. But again, you may have a higher tolerance. Take them on a weekend to see how your body reacts.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5830 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12405

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review