All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I thought root veggies... new
      #138083 - 01/13/05 12:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

were pretty safe for everyone. Aren't they the most tolerable of all veggies?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I thought root veggies... new
      #138125 - 01/13/05 03:28 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Beth,

Yes, you're right that root vegetables are primarily soluble fiber so they are IBS-safe in that respect. However, different people have different food allergies or intolerances on top of their IBS. Like I am allergic to every type of squash, from acorn to zucchini (hey, A to Z!! pretty funny). So even though winter squashes are normally IBS-safe, I have to stay away from them.

Make sense?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

How do you figure it out new
      #138189 - 01/13/05 07:56 PM
Augie

If you are allergic or intolerant to specifics foods that are suppose to be safe? Do most people get an ELISA test or some sort of blood tests or antibody testing?

Or do you do the elimination diet approach.

I've kept a food diary in the past but it did no good. One time I ate the food I had no reaction. A week later I could eat the same exact food and have horrible pain, gas and bloating.

--------------------
~ Beth

ELISA testing new
      #138211 - 01/13/05 10:18 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Beth, I got an ELISA test and it showed different foods I am allergic too, and different levels of intolerance (like permanent fatal allergic reaction, High reaction, low reaction that could be temporary, etc). They also recommend an elimination diet to go with it. It was somewhat helpful, but I didn't have many serious reactions. It was also expensive (i think $200) and OMG they took SO much blood!! Like four huge tubes. Anyways, that's what I know about that, I hope it helps.

--------------------
~Angela

Re: ELISA testing new
      #138280 - 01/14/05 06:30 AM
Augie

Who would I go to for this testing Angie? I am desparate!

--------------------
~ Beth

#138436 - 01/14/05 10:45 AM
Angie113

I think my test was done at Great Smokies Lab in Colorado, but I think they should be able to take your blood at any lab and then send it there. You may need a doctor to order the test for you. I don't have the paperwork with me right now because it's at school, but when I get back I will try to remember to check for you and give you the lab information. Maybe if you contact them, they can give you info on providers in your area that will order the test. Hope that helps!

--------------------
~Angela

#138442 - 01/14/05 10:59 AM
Augie

So you actually went to the the lab in Colorado?
Do you think it was worth the money Angie? Do you know if you need to be currently consuming the foods in order for the test to be accurate.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give!

Also, since you seem to be very into the acupuncture/naturopath treatment, could you suggest a way to find a reputable one that won't "rip me off". All I have is my yellow pages!

Sorry so many questions. It's just that I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out my triggers!
BTW, do you need to take an SFS or do you just do H's diet?
Are you an A or a C?

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth, allergy testing and acupuncture new
      #138521 - 01/14/05 02:08 PM
Angie113

No, I did not have to go to Colorado, don't worry!! My acupuncturist had the order form and we took that to my local lab, then they drew the blood and sent it to the lab in Colorado. To be honest, since I didn't have a lot of severe allergies, the information was only mildly helpful, but I found that I was mildly allergic to bananas, for example, and I have tried to avoid those. But it also said that I was mildly allergic to both soy and dairy, and I did try to reduce my intake of soy, but I could never totally eliminate that because I'd starve!! There is a program for a rotating diet that you can choose to follow which will theoretically reduce your allergic reactions, but I thought it was too complicated and stressful to take on. If you are really having trouble with triggers and what to eat, it would at least maybe give you some idea of what to avoid or make you relax if you have very few allergies. I would say it was worth it to give me the peace of mind that one avenue of problems was exhausted. If you are not currently consuming some of the foods, I think that's ok because any serious allergies will leave long-term antibodies that will always show up. If you do decide to take the test, though, it's a good idea to eat a variety of foods the week before.

Regarding acupuncture, I think I posted this link before but I can post it again: Acupuncture and if it doesn't work just go to acupuncture.com. The site has a lot of reliable information, as well as a link that allows you to search for acupuncturists by zip code. Mine is on there, so I think they should be pretty good. I agree that you shouldn't just look in the yellow pages, I had a bad experience with one acupuncturist at school who made me cry

BTW, I just started taking Heather's acacia fiber ~ 3 weeks ago and I am only taking 3/4 tsp/day (starting at 1 tsp a day gave me cramps and bloating) so I don't think it's hurting or helping me. I think I'm IBS-A, but I rarely have a problem with either C or D, just very gassy and bloating/pain. I used to be C more before I got IBS, and I rarely get D (but maybe a couple times in the past year, or if I drink caffeine or fruit juice) or C anymore. I think that is probably due to the diet.

--------------------
~Angela

Re: How do you figure it out new
      #138561 - 01/14/05 03:26 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Beth,

A food diary or an elimination diet are the usual ways to figure it out. But if I were you, I'd start with the assumption that you DON'T have any allergies or intolerances, that it's just the IBS. If after a few months of following Heather's suggestions, you start noticing that certain foods that should be okay are causing you problems then you can start looking for allergies or intolerances.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

LS- How do you figure it out new
      #138582 - 01/14/05 04:10 PM
Augie

So you're saying to go ahead and drink soy milk, bananas, or even broccoli (with SF base) or slice of tomato, canned pears or peaches, some hummus and not worry! I am like that earlier post and usually eat the same food every day!

You don't think the ELISA testing is needed? It may give me some answers though, but pretty pricey!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2529 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review