All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help, I'm a new member with questions & problems!
      #1371 - 02/24/03 04:18 PM
ndalife

Reged: 02/24/03
Loc: California (southern)

Hi there everyone!

I'm a new member here but I have not been officially diagnosed with IBS-C yet. I have many symptoms that seem to be getting worse so I know I need to see a GI doctor soon. I would like to explain everything to you guys and see if hopefully anyone can give me some ideas or advice.

I would like to try the diet you all are talking about even before I'm able to see a dr., so could someone point me in the direction of it? Here are some of my problems: I am constipated but it's never been longer than 4 days. Sometimes I use the fleet enemas. I go through phases where I get stomach aches and only once in awhile do I vomit from them but I haven't been able to establish what it is that bothers me. I have chronic pain in my lower right quadrant...it is just below my belly button, to the right, closer to my hip bone, diagonally. I have had quite a few diagnostic tests done for that area, like an abdominal cat scan, IVP, pelvic u/s, MRI (lumbar) and barium enema's about 3 years ago...the things that have shown up seem to be not that big of a deal to be causing this chronic pain for the past years. I was told I have a duplicated right renal collecting system, Interstitial Cystitis, minor bulging discs @ L5-S1, small cysts on ovaries and pelvic adhesions between my sigmoid & fallopian tube and the sigmoid colon was attached to my pelvic sidewall (they were found on my left side though). A couple years back I had a severe episode of D for a few months and lost 12 lbs. in a month but I don't normally get that anymore.

There have been 2 times that during a bowel movement, I thought I would pass out...I guess it was too big and/or too hard but I definately needed the enema. Sometimes my stools are shaped real curvy, like an "S" or in a candy cane shape...like they had been sitting inside my curving
intestines for too long and were perfectly shaped like them.
Also lately, I have been having this white colored, torn up kleenex stuff come out in the toilet during a gas explosion...sorry for being gross!

I get low back pain but only on the right and my tailbone has been bothering me; it hurts like it's been bruised. Can constipation or IBS really cause such severe pain? Do any of you have to take prescription pain medication? I drink a TON of water (always have) and I eat some fruit & veggies during the day. My description of the side pain is like a tearing, burning & stabbing feeling. Just constantly gnawing at me. If I push my stomach out really far, I can feel something get real sore in that area. Sitting can make my pain worse after 30-45 min's.

And that's another thing I have...a really bloated stomach; only below my belly button. If I was to let it out which is uncomfortable on my back, I seriously look around 4-5 mos. pregnant. I try my best to hold it in for obvious reasons and when doing that it just looks mildly bloated.

I have days when it seems that I have urine retention; it feels like I have to go a lot but when I do there's not that much or I get a weak urine stream, like something is blocking it from coming out full force. Also, it seems like after having or struggling to have a bm, my insides feel like they are falling out, vagina area as well as further back. Makes me feel like doing a kegel exercise and holding it all day!!

Are you guys saying psyllium is not good? Besides telling me what foods I should start out with & what to eliminate, can you tell me what products to try? Should I request an anti-spasmodic from the dr. & if so which one? Should I try peppermint capsules, fennel tea, digestive enzymes? And if so which brand of those?

I already know that taking pain medication only makes constipation worse but if I could do any of your things and have some of the pain alleviated, I'd stop taking them.

Thank you for reading and sorry I went on & on. I just want to find an answer, I'm so sick of it all. Please, please if anyone can help, I'm open to all suggestions. Does anyone think this sounds like it could be IBS? Do any of you have a specific pain or does it just hurt all over the lower tummy like gas? Take care and thanks again!

Edited by ndalife (02/24/03 04:45 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help, I'm a new member with questions & problems! new
      #1373 - 02/24/03 05:05 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Hi, I'm new too - I just posted yesterday a question that has a lot in common with what you are saying here. Here is the link, but you could find it below, titled something like, "New, need help with constipation" - I found the answers helpful, as I sit and sip peppermint & fennel tea while I type!! Good luck!

http://www.ibsboards.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=1294&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#1374 - 02/24/03 05:14 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
The first thing I would do is go back to your doctor about that pain. IBS can and does cause pain but so can a lot of other things. So really it's a process of elimination and I really think you should go through that process of diagnosis.

In the meantime it certainly wouldn't hurt to follow Heather's diet as it is good/healthy for anyone to follow not just IBS sufferers. Have a read through eatingforibs.com and you will get lots of info.

Like you I suffered chronic constipation and unfortunately the advice usually given for this is to eat lots of fruit and veg and wholegrains. For IBS sufferers this spelld disaster and can cause a lot of pain.

Stick to soluble fibers and make them the basis of each meal. (pasta, white bread, rice, oatmeal, potato, sweet potato) Incorporate fruit and veg in small amounts and make sure they are well cooked.

Soluable fiber supplements are great. Metamucil tends to cause bloating so if you are bloated (and boy can I relate to all your comments on bloating - especially the back pain) stay away from it.

I like benefiber. It is 100% Guar Gum with no other active ingredients at all so it is very gentle. It is colourless and tasteless which is also a bonus.

I hope this helps, it can take 2 weeks to really get constipation under control. I have successfully done this by following Heather's diet although I am still struggling with the bloating.
I urge you to read more about all this on eatingforibs.com as there is extensive info there and do pursue your doctor's appointment.

Good Luck
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1393 - 02/25/03 05:58 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the board. We're happy that you're here, and sorry you're not feeling well. I would encourage you to RUN not walk to your Doc. If he/she doesn't listen, then go to another. Do not let up for a second until you get the answers you need. In the meantime, lots of water and walking can help constipation. As others have mentioned, read all the info on this website - especially the part about breaking the cycle of attacks. For constipation, this may take some time, but hopefully you will feel better soon. We're all here to help each other out, so don't hesitate to post questions. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1399 - 02/25/03 08:07 AM
ndalife

Reged: 02/24/03
Loc: California (southern)

Thank you for your replies; I did finally realize how to read up on all the info on this site. I'm going to try the diet prior to going to the doctor cuz I know it won't hurt anything. Hopefully I can lose these 12 lbs. that just won't budge...I even tried Nutri system for awhile and the weight is just too stubborn! Take care and I will keep in touch. If anyone thinks of anything else to help me, just let me know as I will keep coming to the board.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review