All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Starting Again
      #13707 - 07/10/03 08:34 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi everyone. I've made one or two posts on the board so far, but haven't really introduced myself. I've had IBS for about 3 years now, but wasn't diagnosed until a year ago. Did the sigmoidoscopy and barium enima (the MOST horrible test) but didn't find anything luckily. When I was diagnosed, although I have a really great doctor, he admitted he didn't know much about controlling IBS so I didn't really start changing my lifestyle at first.

Unfortunately, I have a really low pain tolerance and often faint as a result. One morning I had a piece of wheat toast (didn't know it was a no-no then) and started driving to work. About halfway there, I started having pain and foolishly didn't pull over until the last minute, when I barely pulled off the road before I fainted. That was my wake-up call that I needed to get this thing under control. Needless to say, I never eat anything until I get to the place where I'm going now. So from then, I got Heather's books and started gathering information from message boards. I didn't cut out everything that I probably should have, but was doing signficantly better.

But for the past 3 weeks, my IBS has been flaring up horribly. I'm mainly IBS-C with the occasional D, but it seems that everything I put into my mouth results in an attack. So I'm starting over again with a plain foods diet and gradually adding safe foods again. And I've started chatting on the boards again since that seemed to help last time.. probably just by getting the stress and frusteration about IBS out. I'm also trying to exercise every day with my yoga tape.

Wow, this turned out to be a long post. Well, hopefully things will start to get better as I begin to be much more careful. Thanks for reading.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starting Again new
      #13735 - 07/10/03 01:41 PM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

Hang in there...maybe you should have a banana for breakfast too. I keep crackers in the care, just in case. Take care of yourself...

#13816 - 07/11/03 03:02 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the board. We are glad you're here. Most of us here have been through what you are enduring, so take heart. If I may make a few suggestions to help you feeling better right away. First, go on the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" bland diet for 1 or 2 days - just to give your body a break. For details, click How To Break the Cycle of Attacks at the front page of this board. Once you are feeling more stable, then slowly add in insoluble fiber. Carefully, and start with things like cooked mashed carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, etc. Chicken breasts are also a good bet. Drink lots of water between meals to help ease the constipation.
I am very concerned about the fainting thing. This is not only unhealthy, but dangerous. I would talk to your Doc and make sure there's not another reason why you're so prone to fainting.
Peppermint tea can do wonders for pain and attacks. It is a muscle relaxant for the colon and also a natural pain reliever. Drink several cups a day - this should also help. If you don't like peppermint, ginger is good for nausea, fennel is good for bloating and chamomile is good all around.
Let us know how you are doing. Eliminate all triggers for now - at least until you are stable. Then you can experiment and see what you tolerate.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#13823 - 07/11/03 04:11 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Thanks you guys. I've been doing the bland diet with plain baked potatos and the rice pudding recipe from Heather's book. Last night I ate some chicken and did really good and this morning I had a soy fruit yogurt and did good too. Taking baby steps.

As for the fainting, my doctor tells me I'm just a fainter. I mostly faint when I come (or almost come) in contact with needles. Both ear peircings I was out like a light on the floor. Same with blood tests and shots. My doctor says I just get really nervous and worked up about the pain and the needle going through. My mom jokes that she never has to worry about me getting into drugs I've only fainted 2-3 times when there wasn't a needle involved, but there was a lot of pain from cramps and again, I got myself really worked up about it. Luckily now I recongized the signs and don't take any chances.

And I didn't used to like peppermint tea until I started drinking it regularly about 6 months ago and now I sometimes crave it.

Thanks again for your guys response.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 543

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review