All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Some things that are helping me
      #13691 - 07/10/03 04:08 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Hi friends, I've heard a couple of you were concerned about me, well that's awfully sweet! It's been a crazy summer, been in and out of town, had family and friends in to visit, kids of course keep me hopping every second of the day. Wanted to first of all say I'm doing better, managing things better and overall just can tell I'm ... doign better! Have not had gyno appt yet to follow up on the ct scan, yet, that's the end of month. Have managed not to lose any more weight and put a few pounds on, not "there" yet but again, doing better.

I did want to share a couple things that I believe are helping my IBS. I told you my neighbor loaned me her Nutritional Healing book, I've incorporated some of what it suggests, plus of course following Heather's guidelines. First thing I can see helping is the daily intake of ground flax seed, but what's important is that I put 2 heaping tablespoons in my bowl of oatmeal every morning, so that it's in a soluble fiber base, as Heather emphasizes. If I just get tired of oatmeal, then I might mix it in with Rice Chex and some soy yogurt or milk. The main benefit I see from the flax seed is it keeps the stools much softer and easier to pass, and does not produce the gas I got from some other fibers.

I'm also giving Aloe another try, ordered some of George's Aloe Water a while back and tried it, didn't see it doing anything so just quit. But this nutritional healing book says specifically to drink 1/2 cup 3 times a day on an empty stomach. I would not recommend this for D but it seems to help C, 2 days in a row I've had a bm once a day! Big deal for me! No cramping, either. Again, keeping all else of diet stable as per Heather's guidelines. I don't want to go as far as to SUGGEST this, because I don't know what it would do for anyone else, I just think it may be helping me. I'm also taking a probiotic once a day with a meal, that may be contributing to the relief from C, but I'd been doing that a couple weeks and the regular bm's didn't really start until added in the aloe. Who knows which is doing the trick but I'm sticking with both, not rocking the boat now!

I'm also taking a calcium/magnesium supplement with a meal 3x a day. It's supposed to be good for your "nerves" as well as digest better in combo form like that. I don't know if it's just all the prayer or if this is really helping, but I honestly feel calmer and more at ease, less frantic or "pent up" inside. Who knows! Can't be hurting me anyway.

I'm not saying I don't still deal with IBS, I do, I get bloated sometimes after a small meal and have spasms over in the left side of my colon sometimes still, but on whole these things have been less severe and frequent than in recent months. When I feel like that I have some hot tea (herbal, fennel, ginger, take your pick I have a variety!) and then go for one of my walks. If that doesn't do the trick I tell myself to let the housework and chores go (usually kids are in bed by this point)and take a hot bath, then lie down on my heating pad and get some REST. Then start fresh the next day, giving it all to the Lord and doing my part by being diligent about the diet, water intake, and exercise.

So there's my very long update! Hope I can pass on something that is helpful to someone. Take care!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Edited by ecmmbm (07/10/03 04:24 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Some things that are helping me new
      #13695 - 07/10/03 06:03 AM
Georgia

Reged: 07/06/03
Loc: Granite City, IL

Hi, I'm new to this Message Board so I wanted to write and thank you for the information you provided. I have a friend who does Reiki and she has been trying to get me to buy the Nutritional Healing Book - she swears by it. I'm glad to see that you are experiencing relief with some of the recommendations they give. Thanks again!!!

That is great news! new
      #13696 - 07/10/03 06:21 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Hope you continue to do well! I have heard that the ground flax seed spoils quickly (gets moldy?), especially in humid weather. My friend, who is an herbalist, suggests keeping it in the freezer. I think I may give it a try, Best, artist

Re: That is great news! new
      #13710 - 07/10/03 09:42 AM
ecmmbm

I've kept mine in the fridge in the bag in came in (with zip top) and it's kept for several weeks now. Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#13714 - 07/10/03 10:54 AM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hi there, I had a question about the Ca/Mg supplement you are taking. How did you first hear about it? I have IBS-D with depression and anxiety and would be interested in trying it, but wanted to see if there were studies with it and if it is in general good for digestion or better for IBS-C. Any time I have taken a vitamen supplement the D seems to get worse, even after taking it after a meal. thanks for the info!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#13715 - 07/10/03 11:02 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Josie: I am IBS-D and cannot take Magnesium in any form. What works better for IBS-D people is Calcium with D only.
It seems to bind us up. If you add the Magnesium, you add a Diarrhea factor. I believe the original poster has IBS-C, which would benefit from the Magnesium.

Re: Karin is right new
      #13716 - 07/10/03 11:04 AM
ecmmbm

I deal with C, so the magnesium helps ME to digest the calcium, I used to take "Caltrate D" and it bound me up more, so that might be a better choice for you or anyone with "D". Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#13737 - 07/10/03 02:24 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

So glad to know you are doing better. I have some questions. Where do you buy the ground flax seed? At a health food store? It helps with C? Also, I have heard lots of talk about a probiotic, but I don't know what that is. Can you explain?-----from your Carolina neighbor

Re: Karin is right--THANKS new
      #13749 - 07/10/03 07:41 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Thanks for the information, I appreciate any help I can get as my bad days far outnumber the good ones (for now...)

Johanna

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

#13768 - 07/11/03 04:16 AM
ecmmbm

Hi neighbor! I actually found the ground flax seed in a GNC in Concord Mills Mall :>). I don't often get the chance to go to a real "health" store with all the kids. It came in a vacuum sealed bag, kind of like coffee, it's lasting me a while since I keep it in the fridge. I'd heard about it here for folks with C, and it was listed in the Nutritional Healing book as being good for IBS. It would considered insol fiber, I believe, so I always mix it with sol fiber, and that works well. It also has omega fatty acids that everyone needs more of.

As for probiotics, I'll be honest and say I thought this was a much of hooey for a while but it kept coming up so I decided to give it a try. Probiotics are to replace the good bacteria in your body and fight off yeast. Someone here suggested it to me when I said I had a vaginal yeast infection. It has also been mentioned to help with digestion, specifically C. Then I saw it in that book, too, so I figured, What the hey?? I got that at GNC, too, it's not hurting anything and I'm doing progressively better so who knows, right?

Good luck to you, hope things improve! Your neighbor, :>)

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#13794 - 07/11/03 10:04 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Michelle,

I'm SO GLAD to hear you're feeling well!!!!!!!

Do you feel the papaya helped you at all?

Who wrote the book Nutritional Healing that you got? Do you recommend it?

I hope to continue to hear good things from you!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Good to hear.. new
      #13857 - 07/12/03 11:14 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

.. that you're doing better and have found some things to help you.

I hope you continue to do better and will be thinking of you..
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Some things that are helping me - for Michelle new
      #13878 - 07/13/03 05:20 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Hi Michelle, I am glad to hear that you are feeling better and wanted to give a little insight on the Aloe Vera Gel and probiotics. I take and have been taking Aloe Vera capsules for a few years and without them I go several days without a BM, with them I go everyday. As far as probiotics go, they do work but it takes along time to notice a difference. It will take time for them to do their job but it is important that many of these are taken on an empty stomach so they do not have any proteins, ect. to compete with. They are so beneficial for both C & D sufferers. I also do Flax but I take it in capsule form. I know many people are skeptical of some of these things but I have seen first hand the change in many from such simple things. I went to work for a Naturopathic practitioner several years ago and managed his pharmacy for 3 years...I learned alot, witnessed alot of good and felt the difference. It's something that I wasn't raised around and never thought I would go into the field. I was a Human Resource Director for 5 sister companies when I decided to make the move once hearing of the opening from my boss. Little did he know that I would leave his business to move into something so different. I believe everything happens for a reason and that journey helped me in many ways.
Just wanted to share this with you since you seems a little skeptical. Take care, Lisa

#13888 - 07/13/03 10:19 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Ruchie, I do believe she may mean the book, "Perscription for Nutritional Healing", by Phyllis A. Balch, and James F. Balch. This is probably, in my opionion, one of the best reference books around and is used by many health food stores as their "Bible" when they need to look up a supplement or herb or remedy. It is available at Amazon.com and most bookstores and almost every health food store. If I were restricted and could only have one book on this topic this would be it!!!
Kandee

--------------------

#13899 - 07/14/03 05:10 AM
ecmmbm

Okay, just to clarify, I am taking the probiotic but with food because that was the recommendation in the nutritional healing book. So I'm unsure which to do, could you verify why you say take it on an empty stomach? I don't really have any other guidance at this point, I'm waiting for an appt with a nutritionist who I hope can add insight to all this. Thanks!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: Yes- that's it, lots more than IBS in there. new
      #13900 - 07/14/03 05:13 AM
ecmmbm

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#13914 - 07/14/03 08:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kandee,

Thanks! I'm def. gonna look into it!

Hope you have a super day!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13935 - 07/14/03 12:51 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

It really depends on the brand. What brand are you taking and is it refrigerated. With probiotics some are definitely better than others but I would go by the recommendation on the bottle. I find Cel Tech has a great probiotic but they are expensive and personally I believe the refrigerated varieties. This is just my opinion...hope it helps but please know that this doesn't work overnight.

Lisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3027

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review