All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
BIG QUESTION! IBS and urination problems?
      #136778 - 01/10/05 08:59 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

I keep forgetting to ask this. Does anyone here have problems urinating due to their IBS? My problem is feeling like I have to go a lot, having hesitancy(takes me on average at least 20 second before anything comes out)and sometimes not feeling like I've emptied my bladder completely, so I push the rest out. I was diagnosed with having a urethral narrowing, but no one knows why, and then another dr said I do not have a narrowing, rather I have something called pelvic floor dysfunction which causes all of the muscles down there to be in a constant state of spasm, therefore making urination more difficult for me. About a month ago I had a botox injection put into my external urethral sphincter to try and relax that muscle, it did NOT help in the least and only made my bladder weaker. I also find it odd that it was about a week or so after having that procedure that all this IBS stuff came about that I never had before. I wonder now if there is a connection. Anyways, my urologist keeps doing dilations on me to widen the urethra, and they help sometimes, but when my IBS is acting up and I am C, I have the hardest time peeing. Just wondering if anyone else has this? I am so perplexed by all that my body is doing. Ugh!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: BIG QUESTION! IBS and urination problems? new
      #136816 - 01/10/05 09:43 AM
dmiller

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: VA, USA

Do you have any pain, or get a lot of UTI's? I was told a few years ago that I had interstitial cystitis, and that my bladder was "over nervous" (what ever that meant?). Anyway I've dealt with this, my bladder would often feel like it's swollen, and be painful, urination wasn't usually too painful, only if I had an infection of some sort, but sex was very painful (and still is a lot of the time).

I asked my Gastro doc about intercystitis and he said that a lot of gastro doctors don't believe in it and think that it is actually IBS that is causing the pain.

I did have a urologist stretch my urethra, and that helped a lot with not getting so many bladder infections (which I seem prone to). But did not do anything for the pain in my bladder.

Now that I'm doing this diet I do notice my bladder has been feeling a little better, so maybe it's all tied together somehow, anyone else have bladder problems?

Debra

#136822 - 01/10/05 09:54 AM
jujubeeof2

Nope, I've never had a UTI. My bladder never hurts, I just have the hardest time getting the urine out, and it's almost impossible if I'm C. I have had 6 urethral dilations and am going in for my 7th one today. I think it is all tied together, as everything is in such close proximity and when the rectum if full of stool or the colon os over dilated, I think it can put pressure on the bladder/urethra. It's just maddening to me.

--------------------

#136862 - 01/10/05 10:52 AM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

I was wondering about this also...when my IBS flares up, I often feel I have to urinate more frequently. Occasionally I have a "sore" bladder and I have had a few UTIs in my life but that is pretty obvious when it happens. No problems emptying though. I seem to have a lot of sensations that I once thought were related to my "female" organs that now I realize are gastro related instead.

#136901 - 01/10/05 12:11 PM
jamiep

Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Oh NO you're not alone. When my gidoc asked me last time if I had to push it get BMs out I told her no. After I got home I realized I push for not only BMs but to get the urine out. I guess I've been doing it for so long that I didn't even realize I was doing it. She also poked around my stomach and my bladder was sensitive. Will talk to her next time about it. Thanks for the post. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Love,

Jamie

Re: Jamie? aka Princesspea new
      #136926 - 01/10/05 01:34 PM
jujubeeof2

Do you find that you have a hard time starting your flow of urine, as well as having to push to empty? I now am really thinking that I have been suffering from IBS for quite a long time, just not as bad as I have the past month, and didn't really know it. I am betting that the IBS is at least 80% of my urination problems. Gosh, it's nice to know I am not alone in this. I do wish though that none of us had to suffer this!!!!

--------------------

#136987 - 01/10/05 03:44 PM
jamiep

Juju,

I do have trouble starting it most of the time and definatly have to push to finish and keep the flow going sometimes. I'm drinking so much water you'd think it wouldn't be a problem but...I am glad I am not the only one. I was starting to worry about once I recognized the pushing. It was just such a habit. I don't know when I started. Did yours start with your IBS or do you know.

Love,

Jamie

#137006 - 01/10/05 04:20 PM
parellichica

Reged: 12/29/04

Oh I totally have problems urinating, like pushing out and starting. It's crazy but I'm sure it's related to my IBS.

#137027 - 01/10/05 05:15 PM
jujubeeof2

It started right after I had my hysterectomy 7 months ago, but the thing with my bowels started around that time too, now that I think of it. It just wasn't as pronounced as it has been. I swear it's all related! Already there are at least 3 of us with IBS and problems urinating. Too strange to be a coincidence. There was one time about a week ago that I was so C, I could not even pee at all until I got the BM out. I was miserable, needless to say!

--------------------

#137030 - 01/10/05 05:29 PM
jamiep

That is strange that there are three of us just on one board. I had a hysterectomy over 15 years ago but I already had IBS. It was not dx'd yet but, I had it for sure. I wonder if the third member of our group had a hysterectomy too. Just a thought.

Love,

Jamie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12277

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review