All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
pregnancy and IBS
      #136757 - 01/10/05 08:23 AM
HeidiAnn

Reged: 01/10/05

I couldn't find a good place to post this, so I thought this would be OK...should I be worried about becoming pregnant with IBS. I'm thinking about nausea in the mornings (which I already have when my IBS is bad) and also malabsorption of nutrients...can I give my baby enough?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pregnancy and IBS new
      #136761 - 01/10/05 08:26 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi HeidiAnn,

You've come to the right place. A lot of board members have had pregnancies or are currently pregnant. In fact, the good news is is that a lot of IBSers do not experience IBS symptoms while they are pregnant.

As for the nausea and morning sickness, an IBSer will experience the same as a normal person. Check with your doctor if you're worried about malabsorption of nutrients as he can best help you out with that.

You might even have a step above regular pregnant woman since you know ways (ginger, crackers, soluble fiber foods) to calm the nausea down!

Hope this information helps.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#136882 - 01/10/05 11:26 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I did not have any problems w/ nutrition w/ my pregnancy of my second daughter. She weighed 8lbs. 9oz. when she came out and has always been healthier than my oldest daughter. (Except she does have my tummy problems but I don't think that has anything to do w/ pregnancy but rather genes?) I did not have IBS w/ first pregnancy it developed shortly after. I do not remember nausea increasing due to IBS it was about the same as my first pregnancy. And my IBS as a whole virtually disappeared while I was pregnant.

Good Luck,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#136886 - 01/10/05 11:30 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, HeidiAnn!

You've definitely come to the right place. Just do a search on the word pregnancy or pregnant. See the link above called Search? Just click there.

Good luck to you and keep coming back, okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#139462 - 01/17/05 08:35 PM
MandyJ

Reged: 01/17/05

I've had IBS since I was 20, & just had my first child 6 months ago, around my 29th birthday. I was really worried about how I would feel during pregnancy, but I think I had the best pregnancy ever! I wasn't nauseous one time (I've had problems w/ nausea my whole life). All of my IBS symptoms seemed to go away during the pregnancy, although, I think they have returned now. Actually, I can't wait to get pregnant again! It was the most normal I have felt in 10 years. As far as the baby being healthy, my son was over 10 lbs. 2 weeks early, so he didn't have any problems getting what he needed.
I hope this helps you feel better about your fears!
Mandy

#139483 - 01/18/05 05:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Try a slice of ginger the size of a quarter boiled in a mug of boiling water. It really helps the nausea. There's also a prescription drug called Diclectin that is helpful for nauseousness and morning sickness. As for the absorbtion of nutrients, my Doc told me to take a multivitamin and stop worrying. He said that whatever you don't get in your diet, the multivitamin will make up for it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#174868 - 04/28/05 04:36 PM
sueEdge

Reged: 07/16/04

It may not be genetics so much as poor stomach flora. Children get their flora from their parents, so if yours isn't good (which it probably isn't with IBS), then she is not going to have healthy flora either. I keep my children on friendly flora tablets, and I have noticed a decrease in their stomach problems. Hope this is helpful.

Sue

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review