All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Antibiotics - help
      #135980 - 01/07/05 07:03 AM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

I got sick of went to the doctor and knew he would end up putting me on the dreaded antibiotic. My gland was swollen, my throat was starting to hurt and I seemed to be getting worse. He said if I didn't take the antibiotic it could end up spreading to my heart or kidneys. Was I stupid to take it because now my stomach is messed up? I am beating myself up thinking I should have waited it out because now I worry yeast overgrowth and all is going to start and I have all kinds of things going through my head. I am taking two probiotics right now. Anyone have any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antibiotics - help new
      #135984 - 01/07/05 07:08 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I feel your pain. I just had a really bad sinus infection and I went to docs and she prescribed antibiotics. They really put my tummy through a number. And now like you I am thinking maybe I should just have waited it out.

Good Luck,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#135991 - 01/07/05 07:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have had bad experiences with antibiotics (D) in past. when I had my teeth pulled out, I begged them not to make me take one, but insisted I needed one for the infection.

They put me on amoxicillin 500 mg and it was just fine. No problem. I carry this name with me now in case I every need to be on an antibiotic again. Others on board have had similar success.

Do a search on antibiotic amoxicillin or look at Cara's recent posts to read what others have said about their positive experience with amoxycillin-sp?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#136093 - 01/07/05 11:32 AM
The Cat Whisperer

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Amoxicillin might be one of the reasons I have IBS

I had a really bad throat infection (so bad that he told me had I wanted a few more days, they might of had to operate :' ), so he put me on a double dose of amoxicillin to try and combat it, well it worked, but 3 days later I got a horrible rash & learned I was allergic (I had previously been given penicillin for infections in the past, with no ill effect).

About 6 months later I got another infection, this one minor, and in my ear, so I was given a non-penicillin based anti-biotic, and it clear my infection right up.. 2 months later my IBS came upon me.

Huh... sux, still not positive it had anything to do with that, but can't seem to find anything else in my history...

Just as a side note & question... for those who do experience pain, where to you feel it? Min is usually on the left side to back, rarely un the central front tummy unless I'm about to have a really bad case of D. It's not a lot of pain, more a bit of a throbbing... Anyone else have similar?

--------------------
Christien Lomax (TheCatWhisperer)
thecatwhisperer@gmail.com
http://www.thecatwhisperer.net

#136101 - 01/07/05 11:56 AM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I have been reading a lot of stuff lately on a lot of different things b/c I have been trying to decide whether or not to stop taking the birth control pill. Well, I have come across a lot and one thing I remember reading is that antibiotics can have an effect on the lining of the intestines so much that it could actually cause IBS or symptoms of it, which could be something else. I would talk to your doctor about the possible side effects of taking those antibiotics.

--------------------
Natalie

#136105 - 01/07/05 12:22 PM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

antibiotics are the cause of my stomach problems. i took them in july 2003 for an ear infection and my stomach has never been the same since. since that time i have learned that taking probiotics while taking them is essential. also, saccromyces boulardii is very good to take. i wished i knew the problems that antiobiotics could cause before. oh well live and learn i guess.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review