All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fibercon
      #135965 - 01/07/05 06:04 AM
saladman

Reged: 12/29/04
Loc: New Jersey

Heather, in your book(Eating for IBS) you recommend to take Fibercon if you go out to eat. I have IBS-D. Can I take the pill?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes. new
      #135969 - 01/07/05 06:27 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Fibercon is a pill form of soluable fiber, and helps cushion your belly a little by putting soluable fiber in there first. This is especially important when you go out to eat, since you never know exactly how your food is prepared. As with all soluable fibers, make sure you drink plenty of water with it (but don't chug cold water, as this can also be a trigger!). Many of us also use Equalactin, a chewable soluable fiber tablet, instead of Fibercon. While it is still a good idea to drink water with Equalactin, it is more convenient than Fibercon because it can be chewed anywhere, whereas with fibercon you must have water in order to swallow it. We're not really sure why, but for some reason Equalactin seems to do a better job of absorbing all the gurgling when our tummies are feeling questionable. You can find it at cvs, walmart, and many other pharmacies, and also online at drugstore.com.
Most of us take an additional soluable fiber supplement daily, in addition to whatever fibercon or equalactin we have before meals or when we are feeling funny. Fibercon pills do not have much fiber in them, so in order to work up to Heather's reccomended 15g of soluable fiber supplement (SFS) per day,you'd have to take a ton of fibercon or equalactin, which gets expensive. If you are not taking an SFS daily already, look into Heather's Acacia (most bang for your buck since it's entirely fiber, with no fillers or anything else), Citrucel (not the sugarfee variety, as that has extra sweeteners), Benefiber, or Metamucil. I'm sure I'm missing a few but those are the basics. The Acacia does not thicken in water, which is a nice feature that most of the others don't have.
Hope this helps! Also see the "sticky note" at the top of this board about starting SFS, switching from one to another, and dosing information.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Yes. new
      #136041 - 01/07/05 09:36 AM
saladman

Reged: 12/29/04
Loc: New Jersey

Thank you very much. Its very helpfull. I just got my Acacia in the mail. I'll give it a try. When I first got this(IBS-D), I thought I would never to go out to eat again. This is very encouraging.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2961 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 597

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review