All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Interesting Article (Leaky Gut?)
      #135894 - 01/06/05 07:00 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

My Mom sent me some information from a Digestive Disorders book that she is indexing and it caused me to look further into a test for something called "Leaky Gut Syndrome"
I pasted an article I just read below that is really interesting. I think I am going to call my doctor and request this test. Let me know what you guys think.

Leaky Gut Syndrome/Intestinal Permeability
From Cathy Wong, N.D.,
Your Guide to Alternative Medicine.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
The lining of the intestines is a barrier that normally only allows properly digested fats, proteins, and starches pass through and enter the bloodstream. It allows substances to pass in several ways.

Chloride, potassium, magnesium, sodium and free fatty acids diffuse through intestinal cells. Amino acids, fatty acids, glucose, minerals, and vitamins also cross through cells, but they do it by another mechanism called active transport.

There's a third way substances can pass through. The spaces in between the cells that line the intestines are normally sealed. These tight junctions are called desmosomes. When the intestinal lining becomes irritated, the junctions loosen and allow unwanted larger molecules in the intestines to pass through into the blood. These unwanted substances are seen by the immune system as foreign (because they aren't normally present in blood). This triggers an antibody reaction.

When the intestinal lining becomes further damaged, even larger substances, such as disease-causing bacteria, undigested food particles, and toxins, pass directly through the damaged cells. Again, the immune system is alarmed and antibodies and substances called cytokines are realeased. Cytokines alert white blood cells to fight the particles. This fight produces oxidants, which cause irritation and inflammation throughout the body.

Symptoms of Leaky gut syndrome / Intestinal permeability
Symptoms include: abdominal pain, asthma, chronic joint pain, chronic muscle pain, confusion, fuzzy or foggy thinking, gas, indigestion, mood swings, nervousness, poor immunity, recurrent vaginal infections, skin rashes, diarrhea, bed-wetting, recurrent bladder infections, poor memory, shortness of breath, constipation, bloating, aggressive behavior, anxiety, fatigue, feeling toxic.

Leaky gut syndrome is associated with the following conditions:
Autoimmune disease

Celiac disease

Crohn's disease

Environmental illness

Hives

Acne

Allergies

Inflammatory joint disease / arthritis

Intestinal infections

Pancreatic insufficiency

Ulcerative colitis

Giardia

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Eczema

Psoriasis

Food allergies and sensitivities

Liver dysfunction

Rheumatoid arthritis

Irritable bowel syndrome

Causes of Leaky Gut Syndrome / Intestinal Permeability

Chronic stress

Intestinal infections

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth

Environmental contaminants

Excess alcohol

Poor diet

NSAIDS and other medications

Testing
The standard test for leaky gut syndrome is the mannitol and lactulose test. Both are water soluble molecules that the body can't use. Mannitol is easily absorbed by people with healthy intestinal linings. Lactulose is a larger molecule and is only slightly absorbed. A person drinks a solution contain both mannitol and lactulose. Urine is collected for six hours and the amount present in urine reflects how much was absorbed by the body. A healthy test shows high levels of mannitol and low levels of lactulose. If high levels of both molecules are found, it indicates a leaky gut condition. If low levels of both molecules are found, it indicatioes general malabsorption of all nutrients.

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Interesting Article (Leaky Gut?) new
      #135929 - 01/06/05 11:20 PM
dnctla89

Reged: 12/24/04

That does sound interesting.....let us all know how it goes if you do get the test done!

Carrie

#135949 - 01/07/05 02:41 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I think there was a thread about leaky gut syndrome and candida a while ago - try doing a search for it. From memory, I think Heather said there wasn't any convincing evidence for an IBS connection as yet.

Josephine

#135958 - 01/07/05 04:48 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

It's still worth a shot though! Perhaps those who aren't completed and fully diagnosed (like myself), should ask for that test.

It can't hurt, right?

#135998 - 01/07/05 08:06 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Oh yes, I didn't mean that it wasn't worth finding out some more about it. I just thought it worth mentioning, in case people didn't know it had come up before. I've read a book about food allergies and intolerances that mentioned this theory too. That was quite a few years ago and I'm not sure if it recommended a test, just a very strict elimination diet.

Josephine

#136047 - 01/07/05 10:05 AM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I scheduled a test for it today. I don't get in until March 9th, but like Ravenndark said, "It's worth a shot."
I have been reading more on it and I'm a little suprised that my doc didn't mention it before. I posted something on here about the birth control pill and after reading the possible causes of Leaky Gut, I think I am going to try and go off of it for a while and see what happens. I'll keep you posted on the test.

--------------------
Natalie

#136325 - 01/08/05 11:24 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I have heard of this too, and I think it has some merit--particularly for those who aren't able to stabilize on the diet. I didn't know there was a test for it. Does your regular doc do it? Or an alternative doc? Sounds like an easy test and worth doing to at least rule this out.

Let us know what happens!

Judith

#141278 - 01/22/05 03:37 PM
Mozelle

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Canada

THIS IS A GREAT ARTICLE (LEAKY GUT)MY HUSBAND AND I WERE JUST WONDERING IF THAT WAS MY PROBLEM. I WILL ASK MY DOCTOR ABOUT THIS TESTS. THANKS. MOZELLE

So what is the treatment for Leaky Gut? new
      #224598 - 11/13/05 07:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review