All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Birth Control Pill (To take or not to take??)
      #135748 - 01/06/05 11:46 AM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I was reading some things on this site yesterday and it really made me start re-thinking my use of the pill. I have been taking it for about 5 years now and have never thought twice about it.
I do notice and have talked w/ my dr. about the lack of sexual desire, but I've just assumed that's the way I was. I really want to go off of it but am worried about the possible side effects of stopping - mood? worse periods?
I'm also thinking that maybe if I stop there is a chance it will actually help some of my IBS symptoms.

I'm just really torn as to what to do. Anybody been here done that??

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birth Control Pill (To take or not to take??) new
      #135757 - 01/06/05 12:03 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

I have heard many people say on the board that they have had problems on the pill. I have to admit, I am the complete opposite. Before I was on the pill, my hormones made me seriously ill. I was severely nauseated and had severe D for PMS and even ovulation. It was miserable! When I went on the pill, while the symptoms didn't stop completely, I was able to deal with them and they weren't nearly as bad. I think the pill is a very individualized thing. It has helped some and hurt some. I would literally strangle someone if they tried to take my pills.

--------------------

Re: Birth Control Pill (To take or not to take??) -- Nelly, please take a look too new
      #135760 - 01/06/05 12:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I've been on the fence about this, but the one reason I've stayed on the pill is the same reason I went on it in the first place: without it, I get amazingly bad cramps, usually accompanied by D. Since being on the pill, I no longer get D that is related to my time of the month. It does help with my moods, too, I think. I'm on Yasmin, which I've been taking for a little over 2 years. Before that I tried about 4 other kinds in about 4 years. Some of them helped my cramps but none helped with my extremely irregular cycle (In high school, it wasn't uncommon for me to go 4 months without a period, and then have 2 periods a month for 3 months). Yasmin hasn't upset my system at all, and it has also helped with the bloating.
If you are not happy with your pill, you might consider trying a new one before going off the pill completely.
Some people on the boards, I think Nelly, use the depo shot and avoid their periods altogether. That's another option you might discuss with your DH and your doc.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#135798 - 01/06/05 01:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Well I love it, but I have been on it so long that who knows how I would feel without? I mean maybe it does make some of my IBS symptoms worse? On the other hand my periods are so light they cause no trouble at all. I get no PMS and no cramps and no D anymore like I used to every month. I also used to get pretty sick from cramps and throw up occasionally. So I wouldn't go off unless some test was conducted and proves they are bad.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Birth Control Pill (To take or not to take??) -- Nelly, please take a look too new
      #135825 - 01/06/05 03:01 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I currently take the pill continuously, so I do not get any periods - I have been doing this since February of 2002. My doctor has prescribed this because I have really bad cramps and irregularity without it and I have endometriosis. I was recently diagnosed with IBS and I too have been wondering about the pill's effect on my IBS. I've been on the pill for about 10 years and am nervous to go off of it because I know how bad my periods were. If anyone knows of any research out there about the pill and IBS - please do share!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#135866 - 01/06/05 05:23 PM
Dawnann

Reged: 12/11/04

well,
I have pretty much decided that my bc pill has caused a major flareup of IBS symptoms. I was FINE until this fall, and I started BC pills on Sept 23. This week is my "off" week (last week in the pack so the pills are inactive) and I am FINE. No pain, no gas, no nausea, no heartburn. I felt so good that I got a soy mocha from Starbucks. And I was FINE. So I got another one today! Still fine. I am almost positive now that the pills are causing my gastro problems. I still have IBS, but it's mild unless I have way too much dairy. It always was predictable and controllable until I started these pills!

That said, there are many formulations and different ones can affect you differently. It is supposed to take 2-3 months to get used to any particular pill. If my symptoms return with the start of a new pack, I am going to talk to my doc about a change.

Good luck!

#135876 - 01/06/05 05:48 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I'm a little concerned about this as well, because my sixteenth birthday is in 24 days, and in Canada, when you're 16, you can get birthcontrol without your parents consent! I know, that sounds a little sleezy, but my parents have enough to worry about...and then I'll have to worry a lot less! Mind you, I'd have to worry more if I was actually having sex...

Anyways, I'm concerned about the pill as well, because I've never reacted well to medication, over-the-counter or prescribed! I guess it'll be like finding a good SFS; trial and error.

#135886 - 01/06/05 06:19 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I'm in the process of exactly that trial myself. After many years on a Pill, I've come to suspect that it may be exarcerbating IBS symptoms, especially bloating. So I'm not taking it this month.
I do think the bloating has subsided a bit. But the other thing I'm noticing is that my period has already become wildly erratic! I mean, I had a regular period 2 weeks ago, didn't resume the pills, and bled very unexpectedly for a few days at the beginning of this week.
I'm not especially concerned about this cause, well, I'm 46. This is typical of the onset of the M word.
I don't think it can hurt you at all to skip a month or two, as long as you use an alternate form of BC. I say, give it a try and observe what happens.

#135889 - 01/06/05 06:36 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I pretty much feel exactly the same, which is what I had expected b/c of the conflicting stories about stopping. Some are good and some bad. I guess b/c I started the pill so young and I don't really know what my periods or my mood would be like without it, I guess I am just going to have to do the old trial and error bit, which b/c of IBS I seem to have become an expert at. I still have to think about it some more. Being married, working full time, and going to school full time I know the last thing I need is a baby. (But they are oh so cute )

Thanks again!!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Birth Control Pill new
      #137127 - 01/11/05 06:06 AM
Chubs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: London, UK

This is one thing that is really confusing me at the mo to. I think everyone is really different on how the pill effects them and IBS.

I am (was) IBS-D and on my last Drs visit we agreed that the pill was not a suitable form of BC as the pills where not staying inside me long enough to be effective due to my crazy D. This was 2 weeks before Christmas, nearly a month later and I have only had 1 minor D attack since and I have been eating all sorts of foods including the good, the bad and the evil.

I would really like to go back on the pill to control regularity and of course to prevent the patter of tiny feet although I cannot help but think that the pill has something to do with my IBS.

Confused but happy due to lack of D!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1012 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review