All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Post for supplements for IBS-C -long post
      #135684 - 01/06/05 10:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm truly sorry if this is inappropriate, but my last post on this question took a twist on food and I was really needing advice on these meds/supplements I am taking. So I thought I might start over so that this issue may be addressed separately.

Again, I'm sorry this is repeated, but I really would like feedback on the meds. Or maybe food is the true answer and I really do need to cut all these out. I'm so worried about wearing you guys out, and also to Dalia and jujubee who tried to help in the first post, please do not be offended that I am posting again as I did appreciate all your thoughts. So here is the post:

If you've read any of my post, you guys know I am struggling with severe Constipation, lots of gas, and bloat too.

In an attempt to relieve the constipation I am taking the following meds every day:
1. 2 zelnorm 6mg each (one in am and one in pm)
2. 2 colace in am and 2 colace in pm (how many a day is safe?)
3. 2 Triphala herb tabletes (1000mg each) twice a day--suppose to be good for constipation (natural and safe for everyday per reports and Dr. Andrew Weil)
4. 400 mg of Magnesium glyconate a day-no calcium
5. SFS (citrucel clear mix 2 times a day (4 mg fiber) and equalactin 2 times a day (2 mg fiber)
6. 1/2 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed in am cereal
7. 3 fruits (cooked blueberries or canned peaches and pears)and one cooked veggie a day for insoluble fiber.
8. 2 jarrow acidopholus a day

Problem is still not constistant BM's and lots of gas, I mean lots and cramping.

So, do you guys think I am overdoing the meds? Are the meds hurting me more than helping? If so, which ones do you guys thing I should eliminate?

I hate taking meds, and don't know which of the above actions could be causing the increased problems without the benefit of BM's!

I also take klonopin for anxiety and recently stopped my lexapro because I thought that was causing the C. But since stopping it, nothing has improved with my gut.

I've also experimented with substituting FiberChoice tabs for the citrucel, but no improvement. Plus I was on a much lower dose since it was a new product to my body.

What do you guys think? Should I stop taking all this Crap! If so, which ones could be causing the most pain with the least benefit to having a BM? Or should I keep taking them all since I am desparate for BM? I'm afraid to stop any of them since I am so constipated!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Please, I'm desparate.

I've even cut back on the rice to see if that was constipating me. I am begging for advice my fellow C comrads.

Thank you

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (01/05/05 06:36 PM)

Post Extras

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Post for IBS-C people on supplements-long post new
      #135731 - 01/06/05 11:14 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

I don't think you're taking too many meds your only taking two presciption meds. The rest are over the counter. I would switch around on your sfs if you're getting gas and bloating. Try something new.

Not to get off subject but, how much water do you drink? With all that fiber you have to drink allot more water because it obsorbs water. That's part of how it works. My GI has me drinking allot of water and it's helpped a bunch to get things moving.

If the Zelnorms not working for you I'd get off it. I stopped taking (after talking to my gidoc)it because it did nothing for me the second time I took it.

Well remember all this is just my opinion. I am not a doc.
Hope it helps.

Love to you,

Jamie

Re: Post for IBS-C people on supplements-long post new
      #135743 - 01/06/05 11:29 AM
Augie

So you don't think 4 colace is too much?
Don't even know which SFS to try next. Don't you take citrucel too plus mirelax?
Finally, I think I drink enough. Like 8 cups tea throughout day plus one cup rice milk.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Post for supplements for IBS-C -long post new
      #135755 - 01/06/05 12:00 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Beth, I am not sure what meds you should stop taking. I can tell you though, that my sister says that Equalactin causes her to be constipated. The Zelnorm, I could tell no difference what so ever, I stopped taking it. The magnesium should be helping you as should the SFS. Have you tried Acidophillus? I read a post on it here, bought some off of the shelf at WM, they say the one with live cultures works better ( I think you have to ask the pharmacist for the live cultured stuff, they keep it in the back ). All I know is, if I take 2-3 every night, I go like clock work the next morning. Really, it does help me. As for the cramping and gas....I think you need an anti-spasmodic. You won't believe the difference. Everything I eat gives me gas, and sometimes cramping. But, if I stay on the anti-spasmodic, the two don't bother me. Some here use, gasx, and/or Beano. Have you tried any of these?

I am so sorry you are suffering so much, are you drinking hot tea every day? I am mostly a C, but, when I take the Acidophillus, it changes things. I know that you are limited in fruits and vegetables that you can eat.

I found some Viactiv, the chewy carmel-like Calcium supps. It did not bother me one bit. So, I am going to be using that and hopefully I will be able to take it for my Calcium. I was really worried that I would not be able to find something that my body could tolerate.

Hope you get relief soon! I hope to hear from you.

Re: Augie honey... new
      #135758 - 01/06/05 12:10 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Drinking the tea is great! But, water, water, water, nothing replaces it. You should be taking in at least 8oz. water, everytime you taking something by mouth, meds, vitamins, supplements.....and such. Also, with the SFS, lots of water when you take it also.

If you do not like the taste of your water, check around, you can find bottled water on sale at very good prices to keep around the house and take with you when you go out. (By the way, I realize you know this about the bottled water, please don't take offense, I am just trying to remind you).

#135771 - 01/06/05 12:50 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

The colace might be causing some of the gas and cramping. It definitely does with me. As far as how much to take, that I don't know. I know of people who have to take 6 a day and others, just 1 or 2. Some people have cramping with it, others don't. I get the cramping but I HAVE to take it. I also suffer from C and I take 1T of Citrucel and 2 colace a day, I drink lots of water, eat lots of insoluables and I am only having marginal success. I go, but it's definitely not the nice soft BMs I want and need to have. I feel for you. Good luck in your quest for the perfect BM cocktail. I'm still trying to find mine

--------------------
Dana

#135788 - 01/06/05 01:26 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I know for me personally I have to drink at least a gallon or more of water a day to get any kind of bowel movement. I try to drink at least 100 to 200 oz. a day.

Sweet potatoes help me have a bowel movement as well. I know everyone is different though..

I can handle a can of peas if I eat a piece of sour dough bread first. They usually help me go as well.

The easiest way for me to make sure that I drink enough, is to carry around my 32oz water bottle and I constantly have it filled. I know if I have only drunk one to two bottles that I haven't had enough to have a bowel movment.

Gigi new
      #135793 - 01/06/05 01:38 PM
Augie

You don't have to take an SFS or any colace or other things to go--besides the probiotic? I forgot, I do take 2 probiotics a day and they don't help me go!

--------------------
~ Beth

#135795 - 01/06/05 01:40 PM
Augie

You don't take very much SFS! You only have to take that much to go? And only 2 colace a day and nothing else?

--------------------
~ Beth

#135819 - 01/06/05 02:53 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

My GI told me to take 4 colace a day (2 am/2pm) but she started me out on a lower dose that and that did not work. She said it is okay and non-addictive. She also said that I will more than likely be on it the rest of my life and I started seeing her at age 27. I think everyone is different. I do feel comfortable since she said it is non addictive though. I would rather take it than be sick the rest of my life.

--------------------
~Wookie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2718 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2095

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review