niceG3s

Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Rest, rest, rest new
      #135555 - 01/06/05 02:30 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know it sounds lame, but the good old-fashioned stay in bed and rest, drink lots of fluids, and eat chicken soup is totally what works for me.

I also sometimes (when I can afford it!) take echinacea - you can find it at most health food stores and places like GNC, it's just an herb that boosts the immune system naturally. And I swear it really works. Just don't take it if you have hayfever (seasonal allergies), it'll make the sneezing worse.

I never, EVER take antibiotics. I personally think that if you use antibiotics too much, you completely weaken your immune system anyway. I don't even take them when I have an infection - my body fights it off on its own. You're just as well not being able to take them!

Re: another kind of sick new
      #135558 - 01/06/05 03:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Btw. antibiotics can't do a thing against a cold as that's viral!

I also recommend echinacea - I take that and 500mg vitamin C all the time as any bug makes my fibro bad. Really helps!

Rest and fluids are very important if you do get ill.

#135562 - 01/06/05 04:14 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Paul,
I have the same problem. I get sinusitis, rhinitis, swollen glands etc. Sometimes its bacterial infections so I get prescribed antibs and sometimes its a virus so I sweat it out.

My Doc told me that the average person gets THREE respiratory tract infections a year. I am definitely around the average.

I do not like taking antibs and when I am sick I take echinacea and eat really good food. For sore throats I lace my fruit teas with honey and take paracetamol. For sinuses I out a towel over my head and my head over a basin of boiling water with pine or olbas oil in it.

Ginger tea with honey soothes my throat I find, and I try to drink a lot of water. Other than that sleep is the best cure I find.

--------------------
S.

#135568 - 01/06/05 06:08 AM
saladman

Reged: 12/29/04
Loc: New Jersey

Have you ever tried "Cold Eeze".They are sugar free. they come flavored or un-flavored.My doc. recommended them to me. I get mine at the supermarket.

Just a thought... new
      #135575 - 01/06/05 06:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not familiar with all of the ingredients, but if they're sugar-free, make sure they don't contain an artificial sweetener of any kind - they're a big IBS no-no, as most of them are serious triggers. Just a heads-up!

#135780 - 01/06/05 01:08 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I haven't had a cold in a couple of years (Knock wood). Here's what I do.

First, wash your hands frequently during the cold/flu season. There are lots of viruses out there and if you touch your hand to your eye, nose or mouth they can get in that way. Many docs recommend the hand washing now.

To keep my immune system strong, I take Sambucol (get it from the health food store). It's echinacea and elderberry extract in a liquid form. The elderberry evidently clings to any virus cells and keeps them from multiplying. I take it when people around me are a hackin and a hewin, or if I feel like I'm coming down with something. If I feel that way I also take a homeopathic formula called CF Cold and Flu (also from the health food store). These two products, if taken when I first start to feel lousy, knock it out by the next day.

I also use a neti pot to flush out my sinus passages daily. It's like taking a shower in your sinuses. Flushes out any bacteria or viruses. This has prevented sinus infections for me. I had an infection once, and instead of taking antibiotics I went to a naturopath who gave me alternative treatments (like the neti pot), which wiped out the infection.

So there's hope!

Digby new
      #135783 - 01/06/05 01:16 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

What is a neti pot? And where do you get one? I am just getting over a nasty sinus infection and had to take antibiotics that kicked my poor tummy's tush. I had cramps like that only equal to child birth. I get sinus headaches frequently and would love to find something that would help besides those awful antibiotics.

Thanks,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Rest, rest, rest new
      #135823 - 01/06/05 02:57 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I can't take echinacea I'm allergic to Ragweed. I have problems with some of the herbal teas because of this as well.

You can buy coldeze with sugar or sugar free. It's just basically zinc lozenges. They do help if you take them as soon as you feel a cold coming on.

Re: another kind of sick *DELETED* new
      #135824 - 01/06/05 03:00 PM
niceG3s

Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

#135862 - 01/06/05 05:09 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I also recommend echinacea at the start of a cold, also Traditional Medicinals teas like Throat Coat and Breathe Easy really make me feel better. I had a bad sinus infection awhile ago, which led to headaches, and read somewhere that eliminating dairy helps, which means ALL dairy, including casein, a milk protein that is in a lot of soy cheese products and thickens your mucous membranes. That really helped the headaches, my allergies, and I think kept me from getting colds. Feel better soon!!

--------------------
~Angela

Neti Pot new
      #135914 - 01/06/05 10:23 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Neti pots look like little Aladdin Lamps. You fill them with warm tap water and a heaping 1/4 tsp of plain salt (non-iodized). It's important to get the exact ratio of salt to water or it will sting your nasal passages. The Neti Pot comes with instructions on how to use. Basically you lean over a sink, tip your head to one side and pour the water in one nostril and it comes out the other; then you snort out any excess water which sometimes has wonderful yucky stuff in it that you're cleaning out. If you're like me, it will be awkward to use at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll love it!

You can purchase them at any health food store. Whole Foods has them. Kaiser sells a variation of the Neti Pot called a Sinus Rinse (maybe Longs does too?) that is bascially a plastic bottle that you fill with salt water and then you squeeze the water up your nostril. It's easier to use, but I don't think it gets the gunk out as well.

Advice from a veteran new
      #135926 - 01/06/05 11:06 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I have suffered from sinusitis for over 10 years. I had major sinus surgery in 1996. In addition to a million decongestants and expectorants, the best product I have found is called "Simply Saline." I used to prepare saline rinses on the stove, and administer them with the baby ear irrigators, but this product has obviated the need for any of that. Simply Saline is in a compressed can (non-aerosol) and it has a one-way valve that does not suck in any of your infected nose juices. It delivers a continuous stream of saline for as long as you hold the button down, and it remains sterile forever. You can find it at drugstore.com: here.
I hope this helps.
Also, spicy foods are very good at decongesting. Unfortunately, and contrarily to a lot of people on these boards, I still believe that sometimes an antibiotic is an absolute necessity. I wish it weren't so, but sometimes that's the only way to get rid of an infection. I was on antibiotics continuously for more than 3 years as an adolescent and I don't love what they did to my body, but having the infection spread is no picnic either. The best bet is prevention -- getting rid of colds before they turn into infections, and treating allergies before they can irritate your passages to the point of being succeptible to an infection. If you do have to go on antibiotics, it's a good idea to replace your good gut flora with an acidopholus supplement (like jarro dopholus -- no promises on the spelling) or with a soy yogurt that has active cultures (my favorite is Wildwood Soy Yogurt). Good luck, and I hope this helps!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Antibiotics tear my gut up too new
      #135968 - 01/07/05 06:27 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

I hate getting sick. I despise feeling crummy, missing out on fun, and possibly spreading it to others.

Here's the advice the doctor I used to work for had me give to my patients who would call the office sniffling & the advice that I continue follow. The vast majority of these bugs are viruses and they go away with home treatment after 10 to 14 days. Bacterial infections can be opportunistic. So if you take good care of yourself with a viral cold, you can spare yourself the added hassle of a secondary bacterial infection.

1. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Stay away from sick people if you can. (If at all possible, if you are ill, please have the courtesy to stay home). WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN! If you can't, use alcohol gel. Please try not to use anti-bacterial soap. It doesn't make that much of a difference anyways and helps contribute to drug resistant bacteria. Studies have shown that it is the thorough scrubbing/rinsing action that gets your hands clean. If you sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star at a calm pace while you wash, that should be sufficient. Make sure to get under your nails. When you turn off the faucet, don't touch it - your germy hands turned on the water! Use a towel between your hands and the faucet. Use that towel to touch the restroom door handle. You'd be amazed how many people don't wash up properly! GROSS! Don't touch anything on your face while you are out. Wash your hands immediately when you get home. Lysol doorknobs, desktops, telephones, etc often during cold/flu season. Get lots of sleep, relaxation and exercise often. They boost your immune system. A good all-purpose multivitamin/mineral can't hurt either.

2. If you do start to feel ill, if OK with your doctor, start taking some extra vitamin C and zinc lozenges. Zinc has been shown in studies to reduce the length of time you'll feel crummy. They can make some people nauseated however and if they do have a small snack first. Increase your fluids like crazy - think clear. Water, juices, teas...stay away from dairy and caffeinated drinks (but that goes without saying around here!). Dairy thickens your mucus and that can contribute to a bacterial infection starting.

3. When you blow your nose, do it gently. Hard blowing can lead to irritation, bleeding and bacterial sinus infections. So can constantly 'sniffing up' your mucus. So blow your nose gently, don't sniff up your mucus, but don't think its funny, because its snot. Sorry, I digress. If you are congested, saline nasal sprays are really helpful. One brand that I know of that is good is called Ocean.

4. For sore throats, hot liquids such as broths or teas can be very soothing. Salt water gargling every hour is very helpful - draws out infection and soothes sore tissues. Sucking on hard candies can be good too. Just make sure they don't have fake sugars!

5. Rest, sleep and rest some more. Your body is engaged in a fight - give it a break so it can do its job well. This is the time to watch movies and read good books.

6. If I don't feel like I am improving or I am getting much worse, I always call my doctor. It is a good idea because they can ask you questions and ascertain what is best to do next. Antibiotics have been prescribed way too often. Some patients demand them for every little sniffle. They only work for bacterial infections - they will not help one iota with a viral cold. The key is communication with your doctor. The more detailed info you keep on your symptoms, the better treatments he can give you. So, record your temperature, keep a daily 'sicky journal' on a piece of paper so in the event you do have to call for help, you can give clear, useful, coherent information. There is nothing more frustrating to medical staff than a patient who calls and doesn't know when it started, how it started, what has happened since, if they've had a fever or not, etc. They need good info to do their job well for you.

I follow these things above because I hate how antibiotics make me feel. I get horrible tummy pains, cramping, diarrhea and nausea. They are a potent medicine and should be used only if truly necessary. Overuse of them has caused many problems in medicine...resistant bugs are a big problem that we need to all be concerned about. If you ever get really ill with a bad infection, you want to know that your doctors can give you a antibiotic that will work!

I hope we can all stay well this winter!

Thanks! -nt- new
      #135981 - 01/07/05 07:04 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

I second the antibiotic veteran new
      #136042 - 01/07/05 09:40 AM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

I am someone that tried to not take antibiotics. I am completely in agreement that antibiotics at certain times are absolutely necessary. When I was in high school, I too had chronic sinusitis and was on both antibiotics and steriods. It was a miserable time in my life and I am convinced that it caused or at least contributed to my IBS. When I got older, I swore I would try to not take any more of that poison. That very decision landed me in the hospital with a kidney infection. I also tried to tough out a bacteria infection. In theory, I read that some sinus infections can clear up without the aid of antibiotics. I ended up with a high fever and sinuses that were literally closed off. I had to take very high dose antibiotics to clear it up. So while I hate the stuff, I know there are times when they are really important.

--------------------

Zicam! new
      #136043 - 01/07/05 09:43 AM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

When I start to feel that little tickle in the back of my throat, I start to take Zicam. It's zinc but you can get it in several forms like swabs and nasal gel that won't upset your stomach. I love it. It doesn't always stop my colds, but it definitely shortens the course of their symptoms! Many times I never even get the cold. It's a little pricey but has helped me a lot!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review