niceG3s

Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Rest, rest, rest new
      #135555 - 01/06/05 02:30 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know it sounds lame, but the good old-fashioned stay in bed and rest, drink lots of fluids, and eat chicken soup is totally what works for me.

I also sometimes (when I can afford it!) take echinacea - you can find it at most health food stores and places like GNC, it's just an herb that boosts the immune system naturally. And I swear it really works. Just don't take it if you have hayfever (seasonal allergies), it'll make the sneezing worse.

I never, EVER take antibiotics. I personally think that if you use antibiotics too much, you completely weaken your immune system anyway. I don't even take them when I have an infection - my body fights it off on its own. You're just as well not being able to take them!

Re: another kind of sick new
      #135558 - 01/06/05 03:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Btw. antibiotics can't do a thing against a cold as that's viral!

I also recommend echinacea - I take that and 500mg vitamin C all the time as any bug makes my fibro bad. Really helps!

Rest and fluids are very important if you do get ill.

#135562 - 01/06/05 04:14 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Paul,
I have the same problem. I get sinusitis, rhinitis, swollen glands etc. Sometimes its bacterial infections so I get prescribed antibs and sometimes its a virus so I sweat it out.

My Doc told me that the average person gets THREE respiratory tract infections a year. I am definitely around the average.

I do not like taking antibs and when I am sick I take echinacea and eat really good food. For sore throats I lace my fruit teas with honey and take paracetamol. For sinuses I out a towel over my head and my head over a basin of boiling water with pine or olbas oil in it.

Ginger tea with honey soothes my throat I find, and I try to drink a lot of water. Other than that sleep is the best cure I find.

--------------------
S.

#135568 - 01/06/05 06:08 AM
saladman

Reged: 12/29/04
Loc: New Jersey

Have you ever tried "Cold Eeze".They are sugar free. they come flavored or un-flavored.My doc. recommended them to me. I get mine at the supermarket.

Just a thought... new
      #135575 - 01/06/05 06:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not familiar with all of the ingredients, but if they're sugar-free, make sure they don't contain an artificial sweetener of any kind - they're a big IBS no-no, as most of them are serious triggers. Just a heads-up!

#135780 - 01/06/05 01:08 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I haven't had a cold in a couple of years (Knock wood). Here's what I do.

First, wash your hands frequently during the cold/flu season. There are lots of viruses out there and if you touch your hand to your eye, nose or mouth they can get in that way. Many docs recommend the hand washing now.

To keep my immune system strong, I take Sambucol (get it from the health food store). It's echinacea and elderberry extract in a liquid form. The elderberry evidently clings to any virus cells and keeps them from multiplying. I take it when people around me are a hackin and a hewin, or if I feel like I'm coming down with something. If I feel that way I also take a homeopathic formula called CF Cold and Flu (also from the health food store). These two products, if taken when I first start to feel lousy, knock it out by the next day.

I also use a neti pot to flush out my sinus passages daily. It's like taking a shower in your sinuses. Flushes out any bacteria or viruses. This has prevented sinus infections for me. I had an infection once, and instead of taking antibiotics I went to a naturopath who gave me alternative treatments (like the neti pot), which wiped out the infection.

So there's hope!

Digby new
      #135783 - 01/06/05 01:16 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

What is a neti pot? And where do you get one? I am just getting over a nasty sinus infection and had to take antibiotics that kicked my poor tummy's tush. I had cramps like that only equal to child birth. I get sinus headaches frequently and would love to find something that would help besides those awful antibiotics.

Thanks,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Rest, rest, rest new
      #135823 - 01/06/05 02:57 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I can't take echinacea I'm allergic to Ragweed. I have problems with some of the herbal teas because of this as well.

You can buy coldeze with sugar or sugar free. It's just basically zinc lozenges. They do help if you take them as soon as you feel a cold coming on.

Re: another kind of sick *DELETED* new
      #135824 - 01/06/05 03:00 PM
niceG3s

Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3132

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review