All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Need help from IBS-C folks-desparate
      #135173 - 01/05/05 07:12 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If you've read any of my post, you guys know I am struggling with severe Constipation, lots of gas, and bloat too.

In an attempt to relieve the constipation I am taking the following meds every day:
1. 2 zelnorm 6mg each (one in am and one in pm)
2. 2 colace in am and 2 colace in pm
3. 2 Triphala herb tabletes (1000mg each) twice a day--suppose to be good for constipation (natural and safe for everyday per reports and Dr. Andrew Weil)
4. 400 mg of Magnesium glyconate a day-no calcium
5. SFS (citrucel clear mix 2 times a day (4 mg fiber) and equalactin 2 times a day (2 mg fiber)
6. 1/2 Tablespoon of ground flaxseed in am cereal
7. 3 fruits (cooked blueberries or canned peaches and pears)and one cooked veggie a day for insoluble fiber.

Problem is still not constistant BM's and lots of gas, I mean lots and cramping.

So, do you guys think I am overdoing the meds? Are the meds hurting me more than helping? If so, which ones do you guys thing I should eliminate?

I hate taking meds, and don't know which of the above actions could be causing the increased problems without the benefit of BM's!

I also take klonopin for anxiety and recently stopped my lexapro because I thought that was causing the C. But since stopping it, nothing has improved with my gut.

I've also experimented with substituting FiberChoice tabs for the citrucel, but no improvement. Plus I was on a much lower dose since it was a new product to my body.

What do you guys think? Should I stop taking all this Crap! If so, which ones could be causing the most pain with the least benefit to having a BM? Or should I keep taking them all since I am desparate for BM? I'm afraid to stop any of them since I am so constipated!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Please, I'm desparate.

I've even cut back on the rice to see if that was constipating me. I am begging for advice my fellow C comrads.

Thank you

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (01/05/05 06:36 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help from IBS-C folks-desparate new
      #135178 - 01/05/05 07:27 AM
jujubeeof2

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: California

IMO, the citrucel powder might be causing the excess gas and bloating. Especially if you're not drinking a ton of water each day to help move it through your gut. Equalactin I am not familiar with, but I'd look up side effects of the one, too. The magnesium would only have the opposite effect, so I can't see that one being the problem. The fruits will cause gas and bloating for an IBSer, they put me in gas *you know where*, so I avoid them like the plague, unless it's papaya. Zelnorm is something my dr wouldn't try me on. She said it's too new and wasn't sure it would help me, so that one I'm not sure either. Colace should only help move your bowels along, so probably not that. One thing though, if you get too much fiber and bowel stimulation without truly sufficient water intake, and I mean at least 60 ounces spread out throughout the day, you could cause yourself a lot of problems. I'm sure you already know that, but I wanted to mention it. Fiber without enough water just sits and a blocked state, causing severe cramps, gas and bloating. Along with my 55 ounces of water and hot tea, I also down a glass of prune juice everyday. Have you tried that?

--------------------

#135179 - 01/05/05 07:34 AM
Augie

Citrucel label says no excess gas or bloating, that's why I chose it. Also, are you saying the colace should be okay to take?

I thought fruits would be good for good insoluble help for the c. It's been recommended by other C people.

Haven't tried prune juice yet as that would seem to cause more problems than the fruits. When do you take it?

--------------------
~ Beth

#135181 - 01/05/05 07:43 AM
jujubeeof2

Hrm, well the citrucel only has 2 grams of soluble fiber per serving, hardly worth it just in case it is causing your bloat and gas. I was taking fiberchoice, but it was causing me to have extremely painful gas and bloating, so now I get all of my soluble fiber from my foods, mainly oatmeal and potatoes and carrots. I keep some form of SFF with me all the time. I only take the prune juice with my dinner meal, which usually consists of oatmeal and a piece of plain sourdough toast. If you are eating the fruits without first eating a soluble fiber food, then that could be the biggest problem. That is the BIGGEST rule to follow. Only eat the insolubles after ingesting soluble fiber first, otherwise you're in for pain, gas and major bloat, along with spasms and motility shutdown. Yanno what, lemme look something up real quick about those colace tablets... BRB

--------------------

#135183 - 01/05/05 07:46 AM
jujubeeof2

Here is what I found regarding the colace...
What side effects may I notice from taking docusate? (Back to top)
Serious reactions to docusate are unlikely. Call your prescriber or health care professional if you have any unexplained effects.

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
•diarrhea
•skin rash
•stomach cramps
•throat irritation

What should I watch for while taking docusate? (Back to top)
Do not use for more than one week without advice from your prescriber or health care professional. Long-term use can make your body depend on the laxative for regular bowel movements. If your constipation keeps returning, check with your prescriber or health care professional.

Always drink plenty of water while taking docusate, to help fight constipation.

--------------------

#135185 - 01/05/05 07:51 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey Augie...so sorry to hear of your suffering...I am very familiar with it.
I personally think that you are taking tooo many things at once. I mean, I don't know how you began taking all these things (ie was it gradual introduction or in a wild haste to get better did you just start taking all of them without tracking their individual impact on your IBS with a food and symptom diary for example?).
Here's what I would do: start from scratch:....eliminate - colace, zelnorm, triphala, SFS and equalactin.
I would start taking a probiotic twice a day.
I would make sure I was drinking my 2 litres of water a day and lots of herbal teas between meals.
You are not eating nearly enough vegetables to ease your consipation.
I know you are gluten free so its not so easy for you :

Before starting my day I would have two cups of peppermint tea on an empty tummy and give it time to go down before eating breakfast.
I would start my day with a rice pudding made from mainly brown rice with rice milk if you can't tolerate soy and a chopped up raw apple WITHOUT the skin. Can you tolerate oatmeal? its fantastic...
I would make a HUGE pot of vegie soup with squash, pumpkin, carrots etc inside - PACK it with safe vegies and eat it a million times a day!!
I would eat a baked potato, and add a little bit of olive oil to it...you need a bit of fat for help with C.
I would bake a rice bread from brown rice flour or a mixture of white and brown and eat that with nut butters.
Mangos are fantastic too.
If you can tolerate it, saute some asparagus, peas, green beans, carrots and garlic in sesame oil...put it over brown rice and there you go!
Avoid white stuff (bread and rice) or only eat minimal amounts, till you get those logs out! :-)
Good luck!! Oh and remember you MUST exercise and keep moving...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#135186 - 01/05/05 07:52 AM
daliatree

fruits are good...but for people with IBS they are not so easy to digest...vegies are better..esp cooked.

--------------------

fruits *DELETED* new
      #135187 - 01/05/05 07:55 AM
Augie

Post deleted by Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (01/05/05 08:48 AM)

I always eat my fruits and veggies.. new
      #135188 - 01/05/05 07:58 AM
Augie

after a soluble base.

--------------------
~ Beth

colace new
      #135191 - 01/05/05 08:02 AM
Augie

My doctor has told me that it is safe to use these on an ongoing basis and I know others on the board use these too, everyday. But maybe they are causing cramps for me.

Thanks for your input.

I read on one of your previous posts that you do use FiberChoice 3 a day. Do you?

--------------------
~ Beth

#135192 - 01/05/05 08:02 AM
jujubeeof2

Good advice! I am doing that too, taking my peppermint tablets with water before I even get out of bed, and then I have my peppermint tea with my oatmeal for breakfast. Helps a LOT!

--------------------

Please any else have some input?-Michele, Rachel, anyone new
      #135193 - 01/05/05 08:03 AM
Augie

I need opinions on all the supplements and meds I am taking. Please advise!

--------------------
~ Beth

Peppermint bothers me-nt new
      #135194 - 01/05/05 08:04 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: colace new
      #135195 - 01/05/05 08:05 AM
jujubeeof2

I was taking 3 a day, but I think they may have been causing me too much gas, since they contain inulin. They were helping with the constipation, no doubt, but in turn they can cause severe gas for some people. That's why I stopped taking them and am now getting all my solubles from food. I am hoping this will stop the gas and tummy pain I get from trapped gas.... It's such a trial and error thing for most of us. What works for one could be totally wrong for someone else, even though they suffer the c type of IBS.

--------------------

Re: Peppermint bothers me-nt new
      #135196 - 01/05/05 08:07 AM
daliatree

well...there are plenty of other herbs that do the trick...I think even more important then the herb is something WARM in the gut (oatmeal always makes me poo much more easily then a cold oat cereal for example)...do you like chamomile? thats great and very relaxing. The Yogi tea company do a FANTASTIC tummy tea...yummy...and ginger tea is fantastic and really good for the poor old belly...

--------------------

Re: fruits new
      #135197 - 01/05/05 08:09 AM
daliatree

I can't take more then three pieces a day and thats pushing it and depends on the fruit - I mainly eat nectarines and apples without the peel, bananas (pretty constipating though I find), mangos...pear puree although this week I am going to try a raw pear without the peel...I would concentrate much more on vegies...

--------------------

That's all I have is 3 fruits a day and new
      #135198 - 01/05/05 08:10 AM
Augie

thought that was safe? I am so confused!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: That's all I have is 3 fruits a day and new
      #135204 - 01/05/05 08:29 AM
daliatree

Oh I'm sorry, I don't mean to confuse you. I would see that three pieces a day is your ultimate goal...but while your tummy is feeling so very delicate, I would carefully select WHICH fruits you are having and put vegies first for now...like, for example, if you were going to eat four pieces of fruits or vegies a day, for IBS C, I would make that three pieces of vegies and one of fruit a day, as opposed to the other way round. Did that make any sense? When my tummy was VERY bad I hardly had any fruit...just a bit of applesauce and a banana (but that was more with D)...for C, I would eat a raw apple without the skin and no bananas really...but the point is to be careful with the fruit...

--------------------

Thanks sweetie! new
      #135212 - 01/05/05 08:46 AM
Augie

Hope you don't mind if I continue to "lean on you" even on a daily basis if needed. You are such a blessing to me. Your gonna make an awesome dietician!

I must admit though, that stopping all supplements cold turkey scares me since I'm not going at all now!

Fruits are just so much easier as they are portable for lunch. Canned peaches and pears are easier to tote around than cooked spinach and squash!

It will be hard to pick which fruit to keep. Right now I changed from papaya in am cereal to 1/2 cup of blueberries (for insoluble), 1/2 cup canned pears with lunch (white gluten free bread) and 1/2 cup canned peaches after dinner. Then one cooked veggie with dinner also.

This thread is getting long, and I'm still confused about the supplement question which is why I originally started the thread. It has somehow gotten sidetracked to food!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks sweetie! new
      #135224 - 01/05/05 09:11 AM
daliatree

arrrggghhh I just replied to you here and lost the reply!!! that has never happened here before!! thanks so much for the compliment and of course you can lean on me!
your fruit intake sounds good...not too much...just you must eat much more vegies. a few pointers: can you heat up the milk on your cereal? sorry if that sounds grose but the warmth really helps. is there a microwave at work to heat up soup and rice and vegies? have you tried the brown rice bread?
the reason this post has come down to food is because food IS your medicine here, the supplements are just side dishes! I am not accusing or anything, but I do think you rely too heavily on these supplements and you are taking to many. I think you need to return to a clean slate and eat a pure light IBS C friendly diet and move from there. If you still want to try these supplements then once your diet is clearer you can reintroduce them one by one, over time, documenting each change...but to have them all at once is not good. Do you think that you psychologically feel as if you are doing something to help yourself if you are taking medicine in the form of pills? because its not working evidently...so take them out of your life for now. I know its not easy and scary...but keep reminding yourself that they are not helping you right now. Food is your medicine!

--------------------

Re: My experience .... new
      #135253 - 01/05/05 10:12 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Just wanted to add that I was on the same dose of Zelnorm.....until it stopped working for me.... and it does stop after about 4 months. Didn't think I could stop, but I have and am managing so much better on an IBS friendly diet. As to my fruit, I have this pureed and drink in the morning (combo of juices, canned pears, bananas, papaya, canned fruit salad). So far so good. I always eat cooked veggies at lunch, and have recently started to drink a canned veggie juice in the evening. Stomach seems soooooo much better, but still trying to deal with constipation. Previously, I could not initiate a BM on my own at all, but now I have occasional ones, and hope to improve on my diet. I did recently try to reintroduce a small amount of chopped lettuce, but that did not work so well, so that is off my diet again. I have been on the diet for 2 1/2 months now, am using benefiber - 2 tbsp. At first, I was very bloated and gassy, probably because of the benefiber, but seem to be gradually doing better. Just give it some time. I have also been taking beano before my big meals.... as recommeded by some folks here!! Good luck.... recommend you forget the zelnorm, and whatever else you can.

You've received some wonderful help already.... new
      #135255 - 01/05/05 10:15 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

but I felt compelled to tell you that water is truly KEY for us C types! I had gotten lazy with my water intake, and all of the sudden, even on supplements that had me stable (acacia and calcium/magnesium for me) I began to get C again. Once I added water back...voila! Pooping again...much to my relief!

I did a six week course of Zelnorm with only initial relief. After about 2 weeks, it seemed to cause more stomach distress, and I felt better once I stopped taking it. I know the FDA warning issued on this drug in on this site if you do a search.

I am so sorry you are feeling so badly! I was an IBS-D when diagnosed 14 years ago, and have slowly turned C over the years. Man, I prefer the D to be honest! The pain and bloat of C is enough to drive you nuts! BUT the stress of worring about it only makes it worse, so try not to dwell on it!

Oh, and the herbal teas are also a tremendous help! Find one you can truly enjoy and sip on it throughout the day. It does seem to relax things! Water! Water! and feel better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I would love to hear from anyone who can help! new
      #135268 - 01/05/05 10:42 AM
Augie

Thanks for your reply. Interesting about the Zelnorm as I have been on it for a little over 3 weeks now and questioning whether it is the cause of some of the cramping, and not even getting a BM from it.

I too was D for about 3 year! Chronic D, like 5 to 7 times a day, and popping immodium like candy. I hate to say it, not to offend D folks, but I miss going too! Hard to say which is worse. Both stink! And the pain and cramps come with both! I cannot believe how I went from chronic, dibilitating D to this painful, agonizing C! Bodies are so screwed up. Wish they could just reach a happy medium!

I do sip tea all day, but probably not takng in as much as I think. How much water do you drink a day?

Also, have you found an exercise that is especially helpful?
Finally, what do you think about the colace and flax seed? And do you agree that fruit is bad right now?

Sorry given you so many questions. This C has made me more demanding of others than usual! I usually don't like to bother people with my constant questions. But I'm in such bad shape, my bad feelings have outweighed my etiquette!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I would love to hear from anyone who can help! new
      #135276 - 01/05/05 10:58 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

If you are not in pain with spasms/gas, I would try a little blended fruit, starting maybe once a day, after oatmeal, toast or some soluble. Then gradually add cooked veggies (I take spinach mashed with pumpkin), very well cooked cabbage, etc.... always after solubles. If you are in pain, you need to just try solubles with your fish/chicken only for a few days to relieve the pain. Then restart gradually after a week or so. Best of luck.
Kim

Re: I would love to hear from anyone who can help! new
      #135288 - 01/05/05 11:28 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm not familiar with flaxseed personally, but have heard others here recommend it. Colace is a stool softener, right? That shouldn't be harmful.

As to excercise, walk, walk, walk! That moves gas and everything else easier than anything! And water? I drink between 50-70 oz minimum. I keep an 18oz mug on my desk and empty it twice during work hours. I take my acacia in 8 oz of water 3x day, and try to swig 6-8oz at least two other times during the evening at home. Like I said, I had laid off the water and oh boy! did it make a difference!

I really hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Confused about this new
      #135595 - 01/06/05 07:56 AM
Augie

Dialtree, when you ate brown rice bread, what brand did you buy and where. I cannot find one!

As far as my daily meal plan it is usually

2-3 cups herb tea

Breakfast: cooked Cream of Rice Cereal, cooked Quinoa, or Cooked Buckwheat/Brown Rice/corn mixture hot cereal. To cereal I usually add 3 oz cooked papaya or 1/2 cup frozen blueberries added to the water while cooking. Also add in 1/2 Tablespoon Flaxmeal

Lunch: 2 pieces white GF bread with 2 oz chicken or turkey deli meat, 1/2 cup canned pears

Snack: baked potato chips or GF corn cereal and 1/2 cup canned peaches maybe

Dinner: fish or chicken, rice noodles/potatoe/buckwheat noodles/white rice or combo white and brown rice, cooked veggie (carrots and squash combo, spinace, or green beans), 1/2 cup canned fruit if not taken with earlier snack, or white gf roll if no canned peaches

Snack: rice milk and GF roll or bread with seedless jam.

Also, hot herb tea all day and evening. And warm rice milk at night.

Okay, are you saying the fruit is okay or too much! I really thought the insoluble fruit would be good, especially since it is canned and/or cooked

*Can't find plain brown rice bread: either contains whole flax seeds (bad) or made with fruit juices (apple, grape bad).* What kind and where did you get yours?*

When you say brown rice cereal made with rice milk are you actually saying to take whole real brown rice and make it with milk instead of water? Or getting a Cream of brown Rice because I already have that. Plus, I know brown rice is difficult for many people. And for the rice with the soup are you also talking about brown rice?

I took no supplements last night or this am and nothing absolutely nothing came out this am. I am so backed up now. My doc is afraid if I go too long, I will need to get disempacted like old people do

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Confused about this new
      #136324 - 01/08/05 11:23 AM
daliatree

hey beth
sorry I didn't see your post earlier..I just responded to another post of yours..
I can't remember the name of the brand of brown rice bread that I used to eat, but I know it was sweetened with fruit juice concentrate...so you can't tolerate fruit juice concentrate?
The fruit you are eating sounds GREAT in my opinion...so I was saying its okay!!:-)
If you have a rice cereal that is entirely brown rice then I would say eat that instead of the hassle of having to make your own rice cereal with brown rice - God knows this stuff is time consuming.
Do you have access to a shop with brown rice flour?
I used to bake brown rice muffins and eat them instead of bread because I found them yummier and you can always put jam on those.
Your menu sounds good except that you should be eating ALL those vegies....throughout the day if possible and if not, maybe have an early dinner/snack when you come home of soup with brown rice stuck in, and then later on have some chicken/fish with a big portion of beans/spinach etc...so that you are maximising vegies.
I would begin to eat raw fruit, without the peel, instead of just the cooked ones...a raw apple is always good for pooing. try a mango too...
Please don't let your doctor put fear into you...its much harder to see immediate results with IBS C...how often were you pooing with all those supplements? what did your poo look like?
Concentrate not on your fear (as hard as that is) and getting impacted like an old person (!), focus on exercising a good amount (are you a member of a gym? do you enjoy running? swimming? you MUST exercise), drinking lots of fluid and eating what we talked about. Please totally avoid for now the white bread and rice noodles, even if they are 'brown rice noodles' try for now to eat brown rice itself instead...try and bake brown rice muffins...I can find you loads more recipes if you want..I posted you two up on your other post...
please continue to be in touch about this...

--------------------

Hey again my friend new
      #136344 - 01/08/05 12:24 PM
Augie

Yes, my cereal is Lundberg pure brown rice organic cereal. Is it okay to still eat the other two I listed?

Is the flaxseed meal okay to keep?

Yes I already have brown rice flour in my fridge, but had questions on your recipe in other post.

If I do increase the veggies as you suggested, do I decrease all the fruit I am eating (like three a day)? Is that too many fruits? And raw fruit, yikes that's scary!

Finally, did the bread you used to eat come in a pink wrapper? I think it was Food for Life? My problem is I don't know if the fruit juices are a trigger for me or if I am afraid of them because of what I read in Heathers book about pear, apple and grape juices being the worst of the fruit juice triggers. I guess it's the fructose.

Do you have an email address you would'nt mind sharing? I just feel guilty taking up the board with my questions. If you don't you can always email me your responses (see my profile for adddress)!

Ps I never exercise. This should be one of my goals.

--------------------
~ Beth

Dalia soup question new
      #136347 - 01/08/05 12:34 PM
Augie

How do you make the soup? Do you just buy ready made chicken broth and add the veggies or what? What else do you put in it?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey again my friend new
      #136350 - 01/08/05 01:20 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

Hello, and so sorry you are having a difficult time finding the right cycle for you. Me too. I read the Dr. has you on the lexapro. Because I have now developed depression, they wish to do the same, I have it now, but am trying to decide if I should add it to the schedule that the Dr.s have started. How have you done with it?

Re: Hey again my friend new
      #136376 - 01/08/05 03:41 PM
daliatree

please feel free to email me: dalia_yael@hotmail.com
I have to run out to meet other ibsers in NYC (go to living room to see...so excited!!!)...but will answer later tonight or tomorrow evening!

--------------------

Re: Dalia soup question new
      #136428 - 01/08/05 08:47 PM
daliatree

hey...I got your email and will reply very soon! I put butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, and any other roots I find into the soup...cook it till soft...add salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste...its really yummy and soothing...

--------------------

#136438 - 01/08/05 09:02 PM
shooz622

Hello I am new to all of this. I have been under alot of stress as of late. Today after having lunch out with my daughter, while driving in a snow storm I just had an attack. Sounds terrribly embarrassing but I did lose control of my bowel in my clothing. Then proceeded to a rest. to use the bathroom. WHile my daughter waited in the car. It is terribly humiliating. I am reading all of this and taking it in. I have absolutely no control at times it will just come out of me. Does anyone else share this unpleasant problem. Looking forward to hearing from anyone. thank you shooz622 [i][/i] [color:red] [/color]

#136678 - 01/09/05 09:37 PM
iceprincess

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: West Texas

I am under alot of stress myself right now. I have been trying to do things to relieve my stress like doing some organizing in my spare bedroom, reading, going to my favorite places to get out of the house.
Stress can play a big part in IBS. Sometimes a doctor will prescribe an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety drug to help you get through the difficult time. Also, watching you caffeine intake will help. I haven't given up my coffee, so I use Maxwell House 1/2 and 1/2 which has 1/2 the caffeine. It really makes the difference in my stomach by just cutting the caffeine in half. Maybe these tips will help.

Iceprincess new
      #136921 - 01/10/05 01:24 PM
Augie

I do think my stress is a huge contributor to my increasing worse symptoms and I am currently taking an anti-anxiety drug and trying to take an ant-depressant, but having GI side effects that may be worsening the IBS. I am working with a psych to try and get on one that works for me instead of against me.

I do not drink any caffeine, and do follow Heather's diet to a T and never cheat.

I hope you are able to give up coffee altogether as even decaf is horrible for IBS. Do a search on coffee and read what people have said. This came up just a few days ago. And I'll repeat, decaf is just as bad as regular. As hard as it is, you should give it up. Sorry.
Thanks for trying to help me! Nothing helps, and I am doing everything I can think of to get better That is why it is so frustrating!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Iceprincess new
      #136971 - 01/10/05 02:44 PM
Harmony

Here's something that my counselor shared today. It may help. She said that when you are experiencing this pain, that learning to breathe correctly, and then not fleeing the pain, but embrace it, and suddenly you will be on the other side of it. Do the yoga exercises that Heather shares, they help. After this next attack, open a notepad, and write down that this is the first day of your journey to controll over the ibs. Tell your Dr.s that you can only handle two, three of the necessary meds to treat this, and the rest will be the natural and ready available stuff in the ibs diet. The answer is really within us, we just need to remember the path when the attacks come. Some teach that we should flee what gives us fear or attacks us, but this illness is going to be with us the rest of our lives. We have to befriend it and teach our bodies how to survive with it. If we are angry and fearful, who is it that we are taking it out on, ourselves.... I am starting my journal too...I hope in a year, to be celebrating the success of managing this illness and rewarding myself for having come to know myself in a new way. You can do it. I sure as heck hope I can.

Re: Shooz622 new
      #137028 - 01/10/05 05:24 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Hello Shooz and welcome to the boards! What a terrible experience that must have been for you! I do not often have D these days but I did have a couple of episodes of incontinence in the past. It was very frightening but it made me realise I couldn't go on ignoring my IBS problem, so I looked for help and eventually found this board, which has helped me quite a lot.

I hope you try some of the suggestions Heather makes on the main website about diet, SFS and ways of dealing with stress. Ask any questions you need to, this is a friendly board and between us we have a lot of IBS experience! Let us know how you get on.

Josephine

#137038 - 01/10/05 05:58 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Beth, sweetie, how are you feeling today, any better?

You've gotten some good suggestions. I'm D not C, but I do know what Heather and the others recommend most strongly for C.

1. LOTS of water, LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water.

2. EXERCISE!!!!! Walk around the house, walk around the office, walk around the mall. Your guts won't move unless YOU do! (We had a D thread going once about how the minute we set foot in a store we'd have to make a beeline for the bathroom. We couldn't figure out why until somebody said it must be from the walking!)

3. Work up to the full maximum dose of whatever SFS works for you. It doesn't look to me like you're taking enough yet. I'll get you the link to Heather's writeup in a sec. Here it is: SFS

4. Fruit smoothies. Don't eat the fruit, puree it and drink it, then it will help things flow rather than spasm things up!

I would also suggest re-reading Heather's write-up on C. Here's that link. Constipation Among other things, she says "Abdominal bloating from constipation can be relieved and prevented by fennel tea, the proper diet for IBS, and yoga poses specific to bloating." (Just click on the Yoga link above.)

Hope this helps, hon!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Laura Sue new
      #137060 - 01/10/05 07:25 PM
Augie

That was so nice of you to go to all that trouble for me! Thank you so much.

Not to keep being a downer, but I had another rough day, pain, cramps, and gas from not being able to go! I just want to be able to have a BM, is that too much to ask? Appearently so! I think when God was passing out bowels, He missed me or reached into the defective shipment!

I know I don't drink enough as I hate water and can only stand so much yucky fennel and chamomille tea!

I also don't exercise at all and have a sit down job now. This is new as I just left a job where I could walk and stand the whole time. Then my BMs were better

Can't seem to find an SFS that I can tolerate at more than 6 grams. Even at 6 grams fiber, I'm bloated and gassy. And citrucel promotes itself as being non gassy and no excess bloating. I couldn't do FiberChoice, benefiber, and Fibercon didn't do much, but that one you would need to take like 24 pills! I know you take some form of metamucil right? Maybe I should try Acacia, but I'm trying to go with no SFS to see if it helps the bloating and gas. Who knows, this SFS thing is a battle in itself--trying to find the right one for me.

Never had a smoothie yet. Do you need to take an SFS beforehand or is the rice milk the SF base? I keep forgetting! Are all fruits safe to put in them?

Thanks again for the links. I will definately check out the last one. I need to get my butt off the computer and start doing something. Walking is out as it is freezing in Chicago!

So glad you are hanging around LS. You can't leave now, right when I'm getting to know ya better!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Dalia new
      #149166 - 02/11/05 09:52 PM
Augie

Do you think it might help to take out the parsnip and the nutmeg to make it less gassy for me?

I've read that nutmeg is one of the 5 most aggravating spices for GI problems (in 3 different books) and not sure about the parsnips with gas. Thought I read they were gas producers, like turnips, even thought they are soluble root veggies.

I'm going to make more soup on Sunday, and don't know if I am blaming my current worsened gas on this new soup I've added. It is sooo yummy!!!

--------------------
~ Beth

#149344 - 02/12/05 04:40 PM
daliatree

hey...if you have a feeling that they might be the problem then take them out and experiment!! It can't hurt eh? :-) Glad you like the soup..keep drinking it...with ibs c it takes a while to see results and sometimes you are so backed up that nothing is moving so that when you eat something to trigger movement you will feel discomfort at first...stick to it!!

--------------------

#149350 - 02/12/05 04:53 PM
Augie

I couldn't find fresh pumpkin in the stores today. It may be a seasonal thing. Is it okay to substitute canned pumpkin?

--------------------
~ Beth

#149351 - 02/12/05 05:01 PM
daliatree

sure...no problem...it will be just as safe on the ibs..but less nutritious! but don't worry for now!...good luck with it!

--------------------

Thanks Dalia new
      #149357 - 02/12/05 05:12 PM
Augie

You can send me your bill in the mail!! Honestly, I would love to sit down with you and have you look into my eyes and treat me. I'm looking for a reputable naturapath!!When will you be open for service?!!

I've added lentils to my diet so that I have the soup one day with a piece of brown rice bread and a peeled nectarine, and lentils and cooked potatoes and carrots the next.

I skipped my triphala and zelnorm today because I had a BM big enough for the whole past week I had none! I hope I won't regret that decision tomorrow.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Dalia new
      #149372 - 02/12/05 05:40 PM
daliatree

You are very welcome sweetie!! So gald you did a poo...remember, when the bowel has been very backed up sometimes it panics (depends on every person) and creates D or slops! Hang in there...give your bowel the benefit of the doubt..stick to a higher fibre, eat pure and you will be rewarded...I always give a new regime a whole month minimum to impress me (apart from the acacia which made me sooo ill I was like - no WAY!!)
Your diet sounds good! I am always here to help and if you ever make it to NYC I will read your eyes! XXX

--------------------

Re: Thanks Dalia new
      #149576 - 02/13/05 01:39 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hey Augie, have you found any foods/drinks that give you pain or anything?

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 875 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34577

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review