All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
new to site/ibs
      #134653 - 01/03/05 11:25 AM
schmegs

Reged: 01/03/05

hi all - I'm newly diagnosed and went to a holistic MD who put me on a macrobiotic diet - I eat a lot of whole grains (they give me balanced energy), veggies, beans, some fish - everything cooked, including any fruits. I am doing well on it (the painful a.m. urgency has greatly lessened and as long as I eat enough veggies I don't have a C problem. I tried flax meal for fiber the other day and I don't think it agreed with me. Heather's site further helped with eating soluble (brown rice/spelt bread/corn or rice cakes). Doc has me off of dairy, soy, chocolate, alcohol and wheat too. My biggest issue is the anxiety that accompanies a flare up. I usually can't tell which comes first. I do exercise, yoga and take Rescue Remedy as needed, but need something more for the anxiety -- it is very uncomfortable. I am going to try hypnotherapy as well as some other holistic energy therapies. If that doesn't work I will consider an anti-anxiety med. This has become a full-time thing for me, but I really enjoy the relaxation techniques. I believe God is redirecting my life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to site/ibs new
      #134710 - 01/03/05 01:04 PM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Hi Schmegs,

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you're finding something that works for you. I had to laugh when I read the part about it becoming a full time thing. I feel the same way. Sounds like your on a good road. Take Care of You.

Love,

Jamie

#134720 - 01/03/05 01:49 PM
schmegs

Thanks - I have more good days than bad, but the bad ones can be very discouraging to me because there really is no one you can call to fix it for you (like a doctor). I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and am grateful for things I CAN eat. I never thought I'd get excited about eating millet and brown rice for breakfast! How things have changed.

#134721 - 01/03/05 01:52 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hey Schmegs! Glad to hear the diet is helping you. My acupuncturist also put me on a diet that I have found is very close to a macrobiotic diet. Are you supposed to avoid yeast too? I found it helped me a lot as well.

The anxiety is a HUGE problem for me too...I have been able to overcome some of it with breathing exercises and qi gong, but I still deal with it on a daily basis. I've also done yoga, Pilates, Feldenkrais, and tried meditation. I also just started hypnosis as well. Unfortunately, the only conclusion I've come to is there is no quick or easy answer . I completely sympathize with you about IBS contributing to anxiety, and it is also hard for me to tell which one comes first. I have thought about anti-anxiety meds during really bad periods also, although I am terrified of them. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I think I know how you feel...good luck!

--------------------
~Angela

#134752 - 01/03/05 04:56 PM
schmegs

Hi Angela - how long have you been doing the hypnosis and how is it working for you? How about the acupuncture? I'm not sure I want to pay out hundreds of dollars if it's not a sure thing. I too am terrified of the meds, but half the world is on them. Did you have anxiety before the IBS? I have always been somewhat anxious, not all the time though -- maybe I'm maxed out on cortisol and created the IBS. It would be more comforting if there were more answers to all of these medical mysteries. Thanks for your note. I think this website is a Godsend.

flax seed new
      #134777 - 01/03/05 07:31 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What type of reaction did this give you? I have just added 1/2 Tablespoon to my morning cereal as I am way C, and nothing is helping!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: hypnosis/acupuncture new
      #134795 - 01/03/05 11:09 PM
Angie113

Actually I have only had one session with the hypnotherapist and haven't noticed anything yet, but you're not supposed to expect results until the third session so I'll let you know...My acupuncturist is amazing (he is also very cute )! He was the first person who really helped me feel better with herbs, a serious diet, and relaxation techniques. I would highly recommend it, I always feel better after I see him since it relaxes me and usually eases the symptoms. However, I do have to say that although he has helped me the most, I'm still not perfect

I didn't really have IBS until college, and that is also when I began to have anxiety, so I think the new circumstances and stresses associated with college triggered my IBS. Although, now I feel like the two are sort of inseparable...I hope that answers some of your questions and good luck with everything! Let me know if you try the anti-anxiety meds and talk to you soon!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: flax seed new
      #134808 - 01/04/05 04:21 AM
schmegs

After using it for 2 mornings with my cereal, I started having typical IBS symptoms. I had always used it in the past without any problems before IBS and it worked very well. I'm also noticing that beans are causing some distress. I can't believe how sensitive I've become to foods I've always eaten without any problems.

Re: hypnosis/acupuncture new
      #134811 - 01/04/05 04:37 AM
schmegs

Thanks - your info is helpful. I'm going to try hypnotherapy because I think I need some "reprogramming" (I actually think that I've developed a phobia over the years to anxiety/panic attacks) and possibly some acupuncture to help balance my "chi." I have an oriental medicine book that I refer to often and the information just makes so much sense to me. Did you tolerate the herbs okay? chinese? Finding good therapists isn't easy -- there are so many these days. I'll have to do some networking. Have a great day!

Angie113 new
      #134812 - 01/04/05 04:53 AM
Augie

How did you find a reputable accupuncturist? Like she said, there are so many people advertising this service, how do you find one who really knows what they are doing?

--------------------
~ Beth

schmegs- question on your hypnosis new
      #134814 - 01/04/05 04:57 AM
Augie

Are you going to do the hypno tapes, or go to a real live person? If you go to someone, make sure they are credentialed to specifically do gut oriented hypnosis. I think the website to find one is www.ibshypnosis.com or something like that.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: acupucturist new
      #135118 - 01/04/05 11:23 PM
Angie113

I was really lucky because mine was referred by my pediatrician and he's awesome...but it can definitely be hard to find a good one. I tried to find one in Southern Cal and I went to this crazy Chinese doctor who stabbed me with huge needles, made me bleed and cry, and wanted me to boil herbs in this huge pot in my dorm room!!! His treatment left me with a bruise and stigmata marks for a week! So, the point is don't go to anyone that isn't referred to you or isn't on a certified list. There is a good list onacupuncture.com and you could always ask them for a reference before you go. If you have a cool doctor, you could always ask them if they can recommend someone.

About the herbs, at first I thought they might be making me worse, but I think that was only when I took them on an empty stomach. One set particularly helped me, and I've had other helpful ones that I've tolerated fine. Hope that's helpful!!

--------------------
~Angela

Re: acupucturist new
      #135140 - 01/05/05 05:03 AM
schmegs

Thanks for the info - I'm still trying to figure out which direction to go -- so many things sound interesting. I am going to schedule a LaStone Reflexology session for my birthday - from the description, you lay on a bed of hot stones and stones are placed on your seven chakras during the reflexology session -- sounds heavenly to me. Have a great day!

Schmegs-flax seed and IBS symptoms new
      #135164 - 01/05/05 06:47 AM
Augie

What type of IBS symptoms does it cause you?

See other question below!

--------------------
~ Beth

Schmegs- What is.. new
      #135468 - 01/05/05 04:31 PM
Augie

Rescue Remedy?
What fruits do you eat that are safe?

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (01/05/05 04:41 PM)

Re: flax seed and IBS symptoms new
      #135473 - 01/05/05 04:40 PM
schmegs

After using it for a couple of mornings I had gas/cramps as I would if I ate insolubles on an empty stomach. I do fine as long as I eat a couple of servings of veggies throughout the day/drink tea and water/and exercise or do yoga. Are you dealing with chronic C? I don't really have that issue and don't know what to do for it. I'm pretty new to this whole IBS issue and am learning by trial and error. I've always eaten healthy foods, flax included, and now I'm amazed at what I can no longer eat.

#135487 - 01/05/05 05:04 PM
schmegs

Hi - Rescue Remedy is a Bach Flower remedy (I guess it's considered homeopathic) that I use for mild anxiety. It's available at health food stores or Vitaminshoppe.com. It helps take the edge off when that dreaded anxiety flares up. It's available in a spray that you just spray on your tongue. I've generally had good luck with homeopathic remedies. I try not to use it too much -- I don't want to build up resistance to it. I use it more since I've had IBS for the last few months. I need to explore some other options for anxiety because lately it can be more intense than Rescue Remedy can handle. I've had mild chronic anxiety for many years and it's probably what brought on the IBS - so it's time to do something about it i.e. hypnosis/cognitive behavioral therapy etc. Your other question about fruits -- since IBS I really don't eat many because I'm on a macrobiotic diet where everything needs to be cooked. I'm not a big fan of cooked fruit, although I did make some apple crisp the other day and for the topping I toasted/ground the oats and mixed them with brown rice syrup. I did well with it -- but this diet is so much work as it is, I don't think I'll do that too often. One day I warmed up some blueberries in rice milk - it's okay if you're really desperate. I do need to make an effort to include fruit though because it's nutritious/fiber-rich. Are you able to tolerate raw fruit? Do you also experience anxiety with the IBS?

Re: schmegs- question on your hypnosis new
      #135702 - 01/06/05 10:45 AM
schmegs

I was going to go to a live person to work on the anxiety more than the IBS because I think the anxiety/stress is a primary issue. I am trying to decide on one of a few holistic practitioners who sound good and experienced, but they aren't cheap, and you need to see them often to get results. If I go to a regular therapist that would be covered by insurance I highly doubt I'll get the results I'm looking for. Have you tried Heather's hypno tapes? If so, are they focused on IBS or stress relief in general? I guess I should put that question on the boards.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3092 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review