All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new to ibs diet
      #134094 - 01/01/05 06:21 AM
brbbritt

Reged: 01/01/05

Hi. My name is Barbara. I am new to the IBS diet. Was hoping for some ideas, suggestions.... I would like to try and gain weight this year. Don't hear that alot! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to ibs diet new
      #134099 - 01/01/05 07:09 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Welcome!

If you're looking for recipes, try the IBS recipes board, found here.

If you have a specific problem, just use the search button to check past posts, or if there is no previous post, just bring it up here, or in whichever forum is best!

Again, welcome!

#134118 - 01/01/05 08:23 AM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Welcome, Barbara! I'm glad you've found this site. I think it's a very helpful resource, and place to talk to folks. As far as suggestions, I'm glad someone brought up the recipes board. I'd say just follow Heather's diet as best you can, but make the adjustments to make it work for you. Everything is different for each of us. For example, I can have dairy and be just fine, so I can modify that part of the diet, anyway. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing with the diet and things. Alicia

#134130 - 01/01/05 09:14 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Welcome Barbara,

I think the other two have just about covered everything. I just wanted to welcome you to the board. Since I have been doing the diet I have discovered it's no lactose or gluten for me. What a difference it has made. Again welcome and keep posting!

Love,

Jamie

princesspea new
      #134133 - 01/01/05 09:20 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Just curious, what made you decide to go GF? Do you have celiac? Or were you tested for gluten intolerance?

Or did you just decide to try it on your own? I too follow a GF diet, but have not had the results I was hoping for.
How long have you been GF?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: princesspea new
      #134136 - 01/01/05 09:28 AM
jamiep

Hi Angie,

I decided to go gluten free when I noticed the trouble I was having seemed to be wheat related. I had my self blood tested and It was positve. I also have a long family history of Celiac. We cannot do the biopsy to prove it without a doubt but, we did a gluten challenege (sp?)and I was very sick again. (I was dumb enough to do this Christmas Eve. It was horrible.) Hope this helps.

Love,

Jamie

#134139 - 01/01/05 09:32 AM
brbbritt

Reged: 01/01/05

Thank you everybody who replied. I did order the Eating for IBS book yesterday. Looking forward to getting it in the mail. I will keep you posted on how I do with my weight gain. I enjoy looking through all the recepies too. Can't wait to try them. Going to make the brownies today!

#134141 - 01/01/05 09:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So you actually had the blood tests for the IgG, IgA, and the endomysial (sp?) and they all came back positive? My first two came back positive, the last one, most specific for celiac came back neg as did the biopsy.

Suppose you can't do the biopsy because you are already on a GF diet. Did you know they have a gene test to see if you carry the celiac gene and you can be on a gf diet for that. But I suppose if GF is working for you, that's proof enough.

My doc wants me on a GF diet, even though my gene test and biopsy and last blood test were neg because he thinks I may have latent celiac or gluten intolerance. But as I said, my improvement has been minimal on GF so I'm thinking of doing a GF challenge, but that scares me since I've been GF a year. It did manage to change my chronic D to chronic C though! Yipee.

Thanks for the reply. Do you find you need to follow the IBS diet as well as the GF diet because you still have problems despite the GF diet? In what ways does the IBS diet help that the GF doesn't?

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this thread into a gluten free thread. I just need help and advice in this area so was hoping to catch another GFer's attention!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#134219 - 01/01/05 04:05 PM
jamiep

Beth,

Yes I had all the blood tests and they came back pos. If you are on a gluten free diet when you take them you can get a false negetive. If mine had come back neg., I would have proceeded as if they came back pos. because of my fam history.

The IBS diet taught me to stay away from redmeat and Eggs mostly. It also taught me more about fibers and how to take (and eat them). You tend to avoid allot of fibers when you're first dx'ed. At least I did. I was afraid of everything. When I'm on Heathers diet I feel even better than just being gluten free and the other way around. When it's celiac it is a different kind of sick from when it is IBS. I don't know how to explain it better.

I feel for you on the C. It's a way of life for me. The IBS diet has surely helped with that.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Jamie

#134269 - 01/01/05 08:02 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

wellcome sister dawn to the board. we are all here to help you with questions on ibs. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1328

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review