Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: elavil new
      #134016 - 12/31/04 01:08 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Elavil is a hard AD to tolerate. I tried it but couldn't stay on it for the same reasons you listed: very tired, dizzy, and severely constipated. Couldn't function.

But with any AD it takes a few weeks at least to see if the side effects go away. I've been taking lexapro for over a month now and the doc says I still need to try and get through the side effects. So, it could take a while before the side effects go away. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't but you won't know until you give the drug a fair chance for your body to get used to it. Like I said that could be up to 4 to 6 weeks.

Since you can't get a hold of your doctor, maybe try cutting the pill in half and taking 1/2 a dose until you can talk to him. That's what I am doing with mine. That way you aren't going off it cold turkey, lessening the side effects, hopefully, and then talk with doc when you can.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: elavil new
      #134068 - 12/31/04 07:33 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

I took elavil several years ago for depression and had some of the same symptoms. I felt like sleeping all day and even when I did sleep I was still very fatigued. I made the mistake of driving one day and had a fender-bender. At the time my IBS was not as much an issue and had nothing to do with taking it. I have recently been going through some stressful events and started celexa which has worked well for some agitation I was having but the IBS is still the same. That is why I am here, to explore some more options. Sorry to say that I did not stay on the elavil long enough to see if the symptoms ceased.

Re: elavil *DELETED* new
      #134070 - 12/31/04 08:11 PM
niceG3s

Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

alternatives to medication new
      #134072 - 12/31/04 08:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hypnotherapy is very popular. Heather says it is the only thing that can permanently cause a change in our screwed up mind/gut relationship!

I went on a website www.remedyfind.com and for irritable bowel syndrome, hypnotherapy was rated the number one most effective treatment for IBS with absolutely no side effects. It scored higher than all AD's, all antispasmodics, and all the other drugs we are given for IBS.

Some people have also found relief from accupuncture but this treatment doesn't have the scientific studies backing it up like hypnotherapy does.

You might want to try another AD if elavil doesn't work out for you. It is a very common AD that docs prescribe for IBS folks, but as I said, very difficult side effects. In my case I did give it a good 3 or 4 months before giving up on it.

Oh yeah, cognitive therapy with a therapist is another good option.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1791 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1155

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review