All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Trigger foods - are they ever cumulative in effect?
      #133855 - 12/30/04 03:18 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I am trying hard to use Heather's advice on identifying trigger foods for IBS flare-ups, but it is hard.

My question is, can a food impact be cumulative, making it hard to find except by long term tracking? Or will a trigger food "trigger" soon after consuming?

Example: For 2 months I drank a glass of plum wine after dinner to relax. For those 2 months I had no IBS symptoms of any severity. Then suddenly, I had an IBS-D flare-up, which may have been caused by a Rolfer deeply massaging my abdomen (much to my dismay) coupled with some family emotional issues. Since wine is on the "bad" list per Heather, was the wine possibly a culprit, with the irritation building with each day until it manifested in a flare-up? Or is that far fetched and in general if wine was bad, I'd have a flare-up soon after drinking it? Can a food seem OK for 2 months, then still be a trigger if there is then an IBS flare-up? I am going crazy trying to identify food triggers because I never change my diet, but sometimes my IBS disappears and other times it is pronounced. Help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trigger foods - are they ever cumulative in effect? new
      #133876 - 12/30/04 06:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Good question! Can someone help us?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#133879 - 12/30/04 06:36 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

Just to add my two cents:

I notice that if I eat something one day or even a couple days in a row I will be fine, but to push it for a week or so then it tends to get me. I definitely believe that there is a cumulative effect when it comes to IBS trigger foods.

--------------------
Natalie

#133881 - 12/30/04 06:51 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

This reinforces for me my sense about IBS management that the key to success is in moderation. Like NatHosp, I observe that one or two "treats" (foods that taste really good but may be "triggers") are probably going to be tolerated just fine, but several days of eating in an intemperate way will cause problems. So I guess in that sense you'd call it a cumulative effect.

#133885 - 12/30/04 07:19 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Trigger foods are the most confusing and elusive things you'll find in IBS. Once you may be able to tolerate wine no problem and the next time, bam. It gets you. Another problem is that the onset of an attack after eating a trigger can be anywhere from a few minutes to 24 hours or so. You just have to get used to your body and what it can handle. Not the easiest thing, I know. Stress can also trigger attacks.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#133899 - 12/30/04 08:02 PM
Debbie57

Reged: 10/24/04

I definitely agree that foods can take several days to cause a reaction. If I eat a trigger food (ice cream) several days in a row, by the third day I'm a wreck. Then it takes several days to get back on track. My question is why do we forget so quickly and go back to those triggers??

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review