All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sit Quietly after eating
      #133304 - 12/28/04 06:21 AM
shandy

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Alabama

Ayurvedic medicine advises that you sit quietly after eating for five or ten minutes. This has helped me tremendously; if you haven't tried it, do! Now that I've made a habit out of it, I REALLY notice if I eat on the run - it pretty much ruins the rest of my day. I always keep a People Magazine, Cosmo or Glamour around to enjoy during my five minutes - a little quiet moment to myself and my sensitive tummy.

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sit Quietly after eating new
      #133315 - 12/28/04 07:30 AM
jamiep

Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Thanks for the idea. It can't hurt to try and it might help! It would be better to take 5 or 10 minutes out of my day right after I eat than to have my whole day ruined.

Love,

Jamie

I definitely think that works for me too! nt new
      #133341 - 12/28/04 08:31 AM

Unregistered

I must be different new
      #133404 - 12/28/04 02:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I need to move around and putz and do dishes and stuff after eating or I get bloating and gas.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Me too-nt new
      #133407 - 12/28/04 02:25 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#133417 - 12/28/04 04:05 PM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Hi, all! It never ceases to amaze me how even though most of us on these boards have the same condition (IBS), different techniques work for each of us. For example, I'm glad sitting quietly after meals works for you, Jennifer. However, it never would for me. If I do that after eating, everything just sits in my tummy and abdomen, feeling like it's stuck there and weighing me down or something. If I move around a lot, take a walk after eating, it seems to help the muscles in my tummy get it all out.

#133432 - 12/28/04 05:34 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Makes sense! I would think anyone that is IBS D, eating lunch on the run is just stressful in general which flares up IBS> I probably do sit a few minutes after each meal now that I think about it. However, all depends on what I ate as to if it's gonna come out whether I sit 10 minutes or not

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#133448 - 12/28/04 06:54 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh yeah. This def works for me, but I'm a D. I'm guessing C-ers would want to do the opposite. But, yeah, for me, I have to sit still, or else it'll jumpstart a D attack.

~nelly~

#133498 - 12/29/04 07:11 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

The book "Perfect Digestion" by Dr. Deepak Chopra also lists that as one of the many things to improve disgestion.

Another one is sipping plain hot water throughout the day. It's supposed to rid the body of an excess in... I forget the word....uma?

http://www.chopra.com/Store_ViewProdDetail.asp?ProdID=147&Cat=37

#133662 - 12/29/04 03:57 PM
shandy

Loc: Alabama

Yes, I have that book - Perfect Digestion. It has lots of great ideas about how to improve digestion including the hot water drink to remove ama... another interesting tidbit is that you shouldn't read on the toilet because reading is an "upward energy activity" while obviously, toilet business is a downward energy activity!

However, I have found that while ayurvedic recommendations (a la deepak chopra) make perfect sense to me, they do nothing to help my digestive distress. The only thing that has worked for me is this IBS diet. Maybe the rules don't apply to us "lucky" ones...

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer
42 years old
Neither D nor C - just sluggish

#133663 - 12/29/04 04:01 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Ya, I didn't find anything in that book particularly helpful either. Oh well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 944 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review