All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
nausea and antidepressants
      #13316 - 07/07/03 09:31 AM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

anyone have this problem? ever since starting taking Effexor XR, my IBS problems seem to be better... less often, less severe. and my depression is WAYYYY better... no random crying (unless i miss a pill... ooops...)

anyway... the BIG downside is i feel nauseated almost all the time now, especially right after taking my meds.

does anyone else have this problem and/or have any advice as to what i can do?

beth

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: nausea and antidepressants new
      #13318 - 07/07/03 09:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Beth,

Nice to see you!

I get this a lot when I take most meds. Do you eat with the pills? I find if I don't eat I get an upset tummy (unless the meds specifically say not to take with food).

I hope this helps!

Feel good!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13319 - 07/07/03 09:35 AM
CarlaVeg

Reged: 06/19/03

Hi,

I've been Lexapro (antidepressant) for 3 months. It definitely helped my anxiety, depression, and IBS. The second month I got 3 attacks instead of one every day. I felt really nauseated the first week but then I was fine. IBS gives me nauseas as well so I don't really know whether was the Pill or the IBS. By the way I quit the Lexapro 4 days ago because It didn't help me anymore. My IBS got bad again and I decided to quit.

Good luck to you

Carla

#13321 - 07/07/03 09:45 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I find that ginger works well to get rid of nausea. I use ginger tea, candied ginger (Gin Gins and Ginger Chews by the Ginger People) work well. I know that some health food stores sell ginger capsules and ginger gum that have also worked for me in the past.

--------------------
~jules

#13336 - 07/07/03 10:20 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Beth,
I've been on Depakote (a mood stabilizer) since last summer and have had literally every single side effect listed in the PDR --including nausea that pinned me to the couch/bed (whichever I could reach first) because I couldn't stand up without feeling *so* ill. What worked for me was to take the Extended Release form of Depakote before bed, so you might see if that's an option for you. The only reason I've gotten nauseous lately is from an attempt to raise the dosage, so you might see if you can lower your dosage just slightly. Finally, give it some time (4-6 weeks--sounds like forever, doesn't it?), and if the nausea's not better then, definitely pursue one of the first two suggestions, okay? Good luck, and feel free to e-mail me privately if you've got more questions!
Amelia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 787

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review